01-07-2015 12:30 PM
26 12
tools
    Today my Lumia 1520 arrive bought it off eBay. It is huge!!! My Lumia 920 feels small. All I need to do is get a nano sim and I am good to go. My device is black. Wow I have three devices in total all Lumia. Awesome ^_^.
    Last edited by Nakia Johnson1; 01-07-2015 at 12:30 PM.
    11-06-2014 03:49 PM
    welcome to the 1520 club. have one myself.
    the "hugeness" will disappear shortly.
    it will feel normal to have a 6" screen. took me about 2 hours.
    aximtreo likes this.
    11-06-2014 04:10 PM
    Glad you're enjoying it. Since you have the Black version, make sure to get some colorful cases too.
    Nakia Johnson1 likes this.
    11-06-2014 04:20 PM
    Just ordered one myself, but a white version, not black. I got the 1520.3/RM-938 version so that I could be sure to have Qi while still working properly on ATT. When I tried on in the Windows store several months ago it felt way too big. I'm hoping that changes rapidly as suggested above.
    11-06-2014 05:42 PM
    After a little while you'll never want to go to a smaller phone EVER, this is such an amazing device, I have the red one and the gloss finish and build quality is amazing! Wouldn't trade this phone for anything
    11-06-2014 05:58 PM
    After a little while you'll never want to go to a smaller phone EVER, this is such an amazing device, I have the red one and the gloss finish and build quality is amazing! Wouldn't trade this phone for anything
    I hope you are correct, and I imagine you probably will be. I really like Nokia's stuff and hope that MS is able to keep that build quality and design style going forward. I considered the M8 which is supposed to be out in just a few days, but I just really dig the way Nokia does things.
    11-06-2014 06:17 PM
    I hope you are correct, and I imagine you probably will be. I really like Nokia's stuff and hope that MS is able to keep that build quality and design style going forward. I considered the M8 which is supposed to be out in just a few days, but I just really dig the way Nokia does things.
    You can't go wrong with a Nokia windows phone :) enjoy!

I adapted to it within a few hours and now anything less just feels...less lol
    11-06-2014 06:26 PM
    After just a few days, I packed up my 1520 and sent it back. It was just too big for everyday, go anywhere use. My trusty 925 has the 8.1/Cyan update and is still a great all purpose phone. Stick with something more phone size and easy to one hand operate, unless you really need a huge screen and can live with carrying around something just shy of being a tablet.
    11-06-2014 06:30 PM
    Huge? After a while you get used to it and it looks smaller every day ;) looking forward to the first real 7" tablets with cellular functionality ;)
    badMojo69, aximtreo and RumoredNow like this.
    11-06-2014 06:36 PM
    You can't go wrong with a Nokia windows phone :) enjoy!
    I agree. I've been very pleased overall with my 920.
    11-06-2014 08:19 PM
    I just received my 1520 today as well, coming from the 920. It still feels unusually big, but there are things I like about it right away. The width of the phone is enough that I am typing with my two thumbs much quicker and more accurately than I did with my 920.

Second, while the 920 was smaller, its weight made it hard to lie and use one handed, such as in bed, so the two handedness of the 1520 here doesn't seem like such a big deal.

Everything else about this phone is great. It is fast and the battery seems really good, even know I've been using it much more than is typical.
    11-06-2014 08:22 PM
    I just received my 1520 today as well, coming from the 920.
    It seems that there are several of us coming from the 920 to the 1520. I think it is going to be a great phone for me, but I also think that the lack of a worthy flagship successor to the 920 is causing many to take a look at a phone they might not otherwise, even though it is a year old and out of the size range that many would naturally gravitate to.
    jmshub likes this.
    11-06-2014 08:50 PM
    The 920 is much heavier and thicker than the 925. The 925 just feels right be used for one hand operation. The other concern I had with the 1520 was how to carry it. I bought a belt holster for it but it seemed ridiculous to carry something that big on your hip. I did not wish to carry it in my pocket due to the many reports here on the forums of guys experiencing screen sensitivity and unexplained sporadic phantom taps. Many are contributing this to a design flaw that occurs from the bending of the glass from carrying the 1520 in a pocket. At $500, it was not worth taking the chance.
    11-06-2014 08:57 PM
    Well, the year old part makes it sound much worse than it is. The M8 will release on at&t as a flagship tomorrow with the exact same processor. The snapdragon 800 is still a current, high end processor for a mobile phone. The size is the only "controversial" part of the decision for many people, but it is an experiment that many people are making. A 6 inch smartphone is now available for the first time in the 3 smartphone platforms, Android (where the phablet was born) has a bunch of choices, the iPhone 6+ and the 1520. I think a lot of people are buying one for the first time to see if it is something that they would like.

It is an appealing choice for us because our choices are somewhat limited. The 930 isn't offically available in the states, and I just got LTE coverage in my area, I wouldn't give it up for a handset, even if it had really good HSPA+. The M8 is a nice phone, but I know that I was a little uncomfortable with the idea of buying an HTC phone. It's probably fine, but I want a Nokia. I want the Nokia apps, I want the Nokia camera, and I want Qi charging.

Semi-related sidebar: While I'd suspect that the iphone 6 is outselling the 6+, probably by a large degree, I have personally not seen a single iphone 6, but I have seen three iphone 6+ handsets in the wild.
    11-06-2014 09:00 PM
    Obviously there are situations for which the size of the 1520 might turn out to be a little bit problematic. But most of the time, especially when travelling, it's just a pleasure to read / work / be productive on the 6 inch screen.
    iamakii likes this.
    11-06-2014 11:28 PM
    Welcome aboard. Enjoy your new gadget
    11-07-2014 12:08 AM
    TI did not wish to carry it in my pocket due to the many reports here on the forums of guys experiencing screen sensitivity and unexplained sporadic phantom taps. Many are contributing this to a design flaw that occurs from the bending of the glass from carrying the 1520 in a pocket.
    I dont believe in this. I have it too even thouh I have neve put the phone so that it could bend like that. Also my whole screen assembly was replaced in warranty, and the problem was still there. The whole thing is BS, its a software/driver issue Im sure.
    11-07-2014 12:21 AM
    I've looked at the 1520 a couple of times and having been waiting to see if Nokia/Microsoft will fix the screen sensitivity issues before I get one... It looks like I'll just keep using my 920. The 1520 looks like a great phone and many people don't have that problem, but from what I'm reading online many do.
    11-07-2014 12:52 AM
    Its not too bad and I have noticed also that the way you touch/swipe makes a difference. Not saying that the fix is what Apple would say "you're swiping it wrong, swipe it differently" and I do hope they will fix it with Denim....
    11-07-2014 02:14 AM
    I dont believe in this. I have it too even thouh I have neve put the phone so that it could bend like that. Also my whole screen assembly was replaced in warranty, and the problem was still there. The whole thing is BS, its a software/driver issue Im sure.
    As much as I hope its software related, it's probably isn't. I too had a screen replacement for a screen defect and the problem is still there. Maybe both screens had the problem or maybe there's another component causing it. Or maybe flex. Anyway someone on the other thread opened it up and pointed to possible grounding faults. If only ms could release a safe swipe,mode to check for a continuous touch in between the disconnections.
    11-07-2014 03:17 AM
    Its not too bad and I have noticed also that the way you touch/swipe makes a difference. Not saying that the fix is what Apple would say "you're swiping it wrong, swipe it differently" and I do hope they will fix it with Denim....
    I've had the problem occur when just holding the screen. I.e. Hold onto a news tile in the Windows central app and it opens the news without me lifting my finger means a brief disconnection had occurred. It's not a swiping only issue; it's a touch disconnection related issue. Some people I've talked to said it doesn't happen on their 1520 but in fact they're not aware of how the problem manifests. Or they think it's a gesture issue.

It can happen in WordFlow as typing "s swipe" when typing "swipe". selecting a word as you scroll in reading mode in IE. Zooming to a paragraph in IE as you scroll although this actually a positive feature LMAO. A button reacts as if it was clicked even though it's literally just onKeyDown. But you may not notice this.
    11-07-2014 03:28 AM
    I was going to point out that the 1520 comes with the disclaimer that it is the big fish in a too small and unupdated pond, but thats just my jealousy being a little *****.

The Mr. doesn't see an unjust reason of having two back up phones.
    Why is this hobby so difficult to argue for... sigh.

Congratulations by the way,
    you made a correct choice (:
    11-07-2014 03:49 AM
    I've had the problem occur when just holding the screen. I.e. Hold onto a news tile in the Windows central app and it opens the news without me lifting my finger means a brief disconnection had occurred. It's not a swiping only issue; it's a touch disconnection related issue. Some people I've talked to said it doesn't happen on their 1520 but in fact they're not aware of how the problem manifests. Or they think it's a gesture issue.

It can happen in WordFlow as typing "s swipe" when typing "swipe". selecting a word as you scroll in reading mode in IE. Zooming to a paragraph in IE as you scroll although this actually a positive feature LMAO. A button reacts as if it was clicked even though it's literally just onKeyDown. But you may not notice this.
    Touch connection related has also come to my mind. Thats very much possible that the touch gets a very short disconnect which then registers as a tap. This could be on the digitizer or some other component like stated.

If that would be the case, and the cutoff is probably something like 0.01 seconds. This could possibly be fixed with a SW update, so the device does not register a double tap thats so fast. User might never know that some workaround has been added, because intendend double taps will have more time in between.

By the way also I have noticed that sometimes opening some specific apps, touch is totally in the wrong place. In a news reader you might click a news artickle and it opens soemthing 15 articles up. This is fixed by reopening the app.

Bending the device is not likely to be the cause of this problem and well see what happens, but my gut says this will be fixed.
    11-07-2014 04:36 AM
    Exactly but why haven't they done it, seems way too easy on paper.
    11-07-2014 05:12 AM
    Good decision mate! 1520 is the best choice until now. That is until 1530 gets released. 😎
    11-07-2014 05:38 AM
26 12