1520.3 repair experience?

IcyMcDreamy

Banned
Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone in US managed to get Nokia to do a repair on a 1520.3?
My wife's 1520.3 is 6 months old and the touchscreen has gone bad. We sent it in for repair and they sent in back saying it's "out of warranty" due to it not being the AT&T version. I had to fight with support on the phone for an hour to get them to escalate. Their canned answer was basically "you're screwed". They told me turnaround time on an escalation is 2-4 days, so I don't know if they'll even make an exception.

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I ended up teaching myself with the help of ifixit. I am now a personal repair center. empower yourself bro you can fix it. Saturday project is all you need. the pieces in the phone all snap in and out.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Nobody has posted about it that I've seen. But the phone should still be under warranty in the country/region it was made for. I don't see why getting it fixed by Nokia/MS Mexico (if that is where the phone was made for) would be any different than if you bought it there and moved or were traveling. The reason Nokia/MS won't fix it is the repair centers aren't charities. They get paid by the sales arm of the company to do the warranty work. But those are not international. So the US Nokia repair center won't be reimbursed for the work because the sales arm for the US never made a dime off that phone. I'm not saying whoever you bought the phone from didn't buy them from Nokia cheaper in exchange for no warranty but that doesn't strike me as a smart thing for Nokia/MS to do because its asking for trouble if the phone gets sold in that country. The stiffed customers would blame Nokia, not the seller. I think its worth a try to contact Nokia repair in the country it was made for.

And if not and you don't want to DIY, there may be some good, reasonably priced independent shops near you.

IcyMcDreamy

Banned
Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I've done some self repair on 920 and 1020. But this one would mean replacing the screen assembly which would cost $200. Since it's a faulty part it sure would be nice to have that covered by the device warranty.

IcyMcDreamy

Banned
Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Nobody has posted about it that I've seen. But the phone should still be under warranty in the country/region it was made for. I don't see why getting it fixed by Nokia/MS Mexico (if that is where the phone was made for) would be any different than if you bought it there and moved or were traveling. The reason Nokia/MS won't fix it is the repair centers aren't charities. They get paid by the sales arm of the company to do the warranty work. But those are not international. So the US Nokia repair center won't be reimbursed for the work because the sales arm for the US never made a dime off that phone. I'm not saying whoever you bought the phone from didn't buy them from Nokia cheaper in exchange for no warranty but that doesn't strike me as a smart thing for Nokia/MS to do because its asking for trouble if the phone gets sold in that country. The stiffed customers would blame Nokia, not the seller. I think its worth a try to contact Nokia repair in the country it was made for.

And if not and you don't want to DIY, there may be some good, reasonably priced independent shops near you.

I just got a reply from the Latin America Lumia Support that the warranty is good in the country of purchase. Your post was interesting, but at the end of the day should it matter if the sales & support accounting numbers are tweaked because of a situation Nokia introduced? (Making a gimped version of the 1520 an exclusive in the US). Should the burden of a faulty device be placed on the customer? Realistically the only hope I have of having my phone fixed under warranty is to turn it into a publicity stunt that goes viral.

As much as I dislike Apple, if this were an iPhone I could walk into any Apple store in the world and get it fixed without the hassle.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
If this was an iphone you would have chosen how much you wanted to "gimp" the device by getting a lesser model. No one dares tell apple what to do with their phone. I think AT&T learned their lesson though. All the newer phones still have QI charging. If they don't screw up the 1530 when its released and it warrants an upgrade, I'll get the AT&T version if they don't screw it up.

I just got a reply from the Latin America Lumia Support that the warranty is good in the country of purchase. Your post was interesting, but at the end of the day should it matter if the sales & support accounting numbers are tweaked because of a situation Nokia introduced? (Making a gimped version of the 1520 an exclusive in the US). Should the burden of a faulty device be placed on the customer? Realistically the only hope I have of having my phone fixed under warranty is to turn it into a publicity stunt that goes viral.

As much as I dislike Apple, if this were an iPhone I could walk into any Apple store in the world and get it fixed without the hassle.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site

So that should mean that we can have it repaired here in the US since that's where we purchased it, right?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
So that should mean that we can have it repaired here in the US since that's where we purchased it, right?
What they said was worthless, but yes that is exactly what the words mean however they aren't true.

And what does "where you bought it" mean? For on-line, is it the country you happened to be in when you placed the order, or is it the country the business you bought it from is in or is it the country where the server that hosts that business' web site is?

If I am a US citizen and order a phone from AT&T while in Spain do I have a warranty when I get home?

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
What they said was worthless, but yes that is exactly what the words mean however they aren't true.

And what does "where you bought it" mean? For on-line, is it the country you happened to be in when you placed the order, or is it the country the business you bought it from is in or is it the country where the server that hosts that business' web site is?

If I am a US citizen and order a phone from AT&T while in Spain do I have a warranty when I get home?

Yeah, that's a lot of interpretation to be drawn from their statements. I just think this complete nonsense. Its their fault we went this route in the first place.

IcyMcDreamy

Banned
Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I finally got a response on the escalation. It seems they have agreed to process the repair. Yay! So I'll send it in and hope it doesn't come back unrepaired again...

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I finally got a response on the escalation. It seems they have agreed to process the repair. Yay! So I'll send it in and hope it doesn't come back unrepaired again...

Just a word of advice for you....
If I were you, I would take pictures of my phone before you send it in, especially the screen. I had to send my 1520 in a while back, and when it was returned to me, the screen was very badly scratched up....I mean like deep scratches that would catch your fingernail when you dragged your finger across. With about a month's worth of work, the issue was resolved, but it would have helped if I had taken pictures of my phone before I sent it in.

Hesham Fouad

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
No ,he could tell u this is an old photo, and retail store always leave paper note comments about scratches before receiving phone,turn back to those mf's and don't accept but fix this

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)