• 00Days
  • 00Hours
  • 00Mins
  • 00Secs
Newsletter — sign up now! Learn More
11-24-2014 10:14 PM
56 123
tools
    You should wait for next flagship, if you want to buy the phone now, better buy Lumia 735/730 or even lower model like Lumia 535 if you can live with these. Next year when flagship comes, you can buy then the flagship!

Then wait 10 years, so you'll get a better flagship phone...
    11-12-2014 02:05 AM
    I have several 1520's from various regions of the world and all have the touch issue. It's still the best phone I've ever had though and as much as I'd want to swap it for a new model with this particular hardware bug fixed - I stick with it because there are no viable alternatives available (with Windows Phone) at the moment.

Once you've used this for a week or so there is no going back to a smaller screen. Even the Galaxy Note 3 feels "small" now, which really it isn't. Using my wife's 1020 is horrendous and my mother in laws 520 is even worse.
    11-12-2014 02:31 AM
    I'm surprised so many people are having problems with the 1520. I've had it since launch, in the UK, with zero problems. And it's only got better with the updates.

I wonder, but is the touch screen sensitivity issue a regional issue? I will tell anyone the 1520 is the best device, on WP, and one of the best devices full stop (I carry the 1520 alongside a galaxy s5 and an iphone 5s/blackberry passport - all for business, so have experience and compare the lot of 'em) and I've never seen anyone else with a 1520, nor any wp device actually, so can't tell whether my device was a fluke or not.

I'd just say try the phone and see if it works for you. I find out fits my hands perfectly and it really is excellent for acting as an entertainment device, email and web browsing are great on that screen and the camera is excellent, albeit slow, when compared to the other flagships (the 1520 is a second faster, at least, compared to my 1020). In my opinion it is the best all round wp has to offer. That sd card makes it just heard and shoulders better than the next offering.

Oh, I'm a rm-937, bought unlocked and sim free in the UK.

And OP, for the prices quoted I'd say the 1520 is hands down the best, but they one in your hands and make the decision. Definitely give it a try!
    Last edited by Poirots Progeny; 11-12-2014 at 02:55 AM.
    Timbre70 likes this.
    11-12-2014 02:37 AM
    Yeh but we have to remember that it is our mentality to react when something is wrong than when something is right :). Maybe that's why there are huge number of reports saying that their device has this bug than those who don't.
    Oh, I agree. People are far more likely to complain when things go bad then they are to give praise when it works as it should. However, the number of reports is problematic.
    11-12-2014 08:03 AM
    1520 is the best windows phone for now
    11-12-2014 08:19 AM
    No way. Why buy year old hardware now? Of course, with no premium phones coming, is only option if u want large screen...MS is f'ing up and that is the real problem
    11-12-2014 08:24 AM
    How did you make "My smartphone history" your signature, and this picture you made yourself using which software?
    I found pics of the various smartphones I have had, put them in powerpoint, saved as a picture, and cropped it in paint. There are probably easier ways to do it, but that one worked fine for me.
    11-12-2014 08:53 AM
    How did you make "My smartphone history" your signature, and this picture you made yourself using which software?
    I just went to mowned.com. You put in the phones you've owned and it makes the image and lets you do some customizations.
    jwinch2 likes this.
    11-12-2014 10:38 AM
    I just went to mowned.com. You put in the phones you've owned and it makes the image and lets you do some customizations.
    See, told you there was a smarter way to do it.
    11-12-2014 10:54 AM
    You want to get the RM-938 (AKA 1520.3) not the 937 or the 940. The 940 is AT&T's watered down crap which may be locked and won't work on T-Mobile. The 937 doesn't have the US bands for LTE. The 938 is an unlocked and non watered down version of the 940. From what I've heard it works perfectly on T-Mobile. I personally know it works perfectly on AT&T. I've had both H+ and LTE on it. If you get the 937 you probably won't get LTE.
    11-12-2014 11:11 AM
    Yes its a year old, but its a great phone and I don't regret purchasing it just about a month ago. If the rumors of the 1525/1530 were true what would that get me? a QHD display? I already can't see the pixels unlike the 928 so no biggie there. A SD 805? A minor upgrade at best. The phone already has incredible battery life. About the only thing that would justify me getting a new phone at this point would be a better camera. The 928 had a xenon flash. The 1520 doesn't. I was surprised on how much of a difference xenon vs led makes. Also since it has SD support, storage is not an issue either.

No way. Why buy year old hardware now? Of course, with no premium phones coming, is only option if u want large screen...MS is f'ing up and that is the real problem
    11-12-2014 11:14 AM
    Yes its a year old, but its a great phone and I don't regret purchasing it just about a month ago. If the rumors of the 1525/1530 were true what would that get me? a QHD display? I already can't see the pixels unlike the 928 so no biggie there. A SD 805? A minor upgrade at best. The phone already has incredible battery life. About the only thing that would justify me getting a new phone at this point would be a better camera. The 928 had a xenon flash. The 1520 doesn't. I was surprised on how much of a difference xenon vs led makes. Also since it has SD support, storage is not an issue either.
    For me it would be if they gave the "1530" true phablet abilities (stylus, split screen, etc.) to really allow people to take advantage of the large screen from a functional standpoint.
    11-12-2014 01:11 PM
    you got a point there. Those would be nice to have.
    jwinch2 likes this.
    11-12-2014 01:13 PM
    Thanks for the replies everyone. It really makes me want to give the 1520.3 a go. I figure worst-case scenario is I don't like the large size and I sell it on eBay to someone who wants it and maybe lose $50-$100, small price to pay for the ability to try it in daily use.

The use case I keep thinking about is getting in my car with the 1520 in my pocket and trying to get it out... not even sure I'd be able to without stopping the car. :)

To the questions/remarks about "year-old-hardware" - that makes no difference to me. It's still top-notch for a WP device, and I don't see anything coming that would really make me regret the choice. If anything the upcoming Microsoft Lumia devices are going to start looking like Samsung knock-offs (if the 535 is telling) which I wouldn't want anyway. Hopefully they keep the squared-off Nokia look for the high-end.
    11-12-2014 01:14 PM
    Thanks for the replies everyone. It really makes me want to give the 1520.3 a go. I figure worst-case scenario is I don't like the large size and I sell it on eBay to someone who wants it and maybe lose $50-$100, small price to pay for the ability to try it in daily use.

The use case I keep thinking about is getting in my car with the 1520 in my pocket and trying to get it out... not even sure I'd be able to without stopping the car. :)

To the questions/remarks about "year-old-hardware" - that makes no difference to me. It's still top-notch for a WP device, and I don't see anything coming that would really make me regret the choice. If anything the upcoming Microsoft Lumia devices are going to start looking like Samsung knock-offs (if the 535 is telling) which I wouldn't want anyway. Hopefully they keep the squared-off Nokia look for the high-end.
    That is what I did, and I am now a week into my 1520 and I love it. The only problem I have is in my car. I don't have any place in my car to comfortably sit the phone. My 920 fit perfectly in my cup holder, there isn't a place big enough to fit the enormous 1520. So, it stays in my pocket, which isn't too big of a problem right now, the weather is just getting cold here, so I can put it in my coat pocket where I can get it out while sitting in my car.
    11-12-2014 01:24 PM
    Car Phone Holders and Dashboard Phone Mounts - ProClip USA

Works great, just be sure to put some glue into the screw and the convex-concave surface once you get it set where you want it, or the vibration will cause it to come loose.
    11-12-2014 01:42 PM
    Oh by the way I had the tap/scroll issue. Then I changed my sensitivity setting which defaulted to high. Now that its low, I haven't had the issue once.
    jwinch2 likes this.
    11-12-2014 04:27 PM
    There's an interesting post in this thread:
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...-answered.html

It sounds like they have made some improvements in the later models, although the issue is not entirely gone. I've got an older one so I guess it makes sense that I have more problems.
    11-12-2014 06:13 PM
    Never had a problem with double tap to wake
    11-12-2014 06:19 PM
    Maybe the rumored 1330? It has the large form factor for a lower price tag. Only question is if/when it will come out.
    11-12-2014 10:06 PM
    I have the 1520 and like it with very few issues. I don't know what the scroll tap bug is but if its when the screen keeps reverting back after you scroll then I've encountered it. Another issue I've had is when I wake the phone up, the screen stays black but the buttons on the bottom are lit. The last issue is with YouTube in the browser. When playing a video it randomly says "cannot be decoded" and force quits. Only issues I have had and can say its not enough to deter anybody from getting one. I actually just bought the 830 too. Even though it technically is a downgrade, I love the size and form factor. I can make do without the fancy specs. Hope that helps.
    11-12-2014 10:20 PM
    I was weary of the 1520 aswell, but, I caved, and I regret none of it! i only bought my 1520.3 a couple weeks ago, I havent had the tap issue yet, and no other ones really, those clsest i came to an issue is when playing big games for a while it can get pretty hot.

1520.3 works perfectly on tmobile, 2g 3g 4g and lte all work perfectly

as for the car issue, I've made it habit to take it out of my pocket and put it in a shelf on my dashboard right before i sit down
    11-12-2014 11:28 PM
    My take on the 1520... I went through 3 of them, each with swipe/tap issues. I RMA'ed the first one about 3 weeks after purchase, and thought I was golden... for about 2 days. I RMA'ed that one, and even got different color, just to try to avoid a bad production run. I decided to play with that one before sending #2 back. Swipe/tap showed up within the first few minutes. #3 went back without even putting #2 in the return box. I stuck with #2 for the 12 months required by AT&T Next, and as soon as I made my 12th payment, swapped it out. If there weren't a *lot* of phones with this issue, I don't think I'd have run into 3 phones with the exact same problem.

I've said all that to say this: All in all, the 1520 is an excellent phone. It just had the occasional tendency to drive me a little mad. It's fast, it takes great pictures, and has a *really* big screen. Even so, I decided I needed a slightly smaller phone, so I got the HTC One M8 for Win last week. The 5 inch screen is easier for me to handle, and I've no particularly annoying issues yet. We'll see how their support for updates goes.
    11-13-2014 07:53 AM
    To the questions/remarks about "year-old-hardware" - that makes no difference to me. It's still top-notch for a WP device, and I don't see anything coming that would really make me regret the choice.
    This!

I'm so tired of seeing people post with the mindset that they HAVE to get the latest and greatest phone... like it's some sort of competition with other people. It's ridiculous. If you're constantly looking at getting the "next" model, then you'll never be happy with what you have. There will always be a "next" model coming soon. Learn to love what you have. Buy what works for you. Get out of the mindset of comparing yourself (or your phone) to others. That will just make you miserable.

I just bought a 1520 (red, ATT version) and I'm happy with my decision. I don't care that it's a year old. I don't care that it only has 16GB vs 32GB - I can add an SD card anyway. I don't care that it doesn't have QI charging. What it does have is a warranty that the 1520.3/RM938 doesn't have in the USA. Getting warranty coverage for it is more important to me than bragging about having QI charging. Maybe others would prefer the QI charging over the warranty, and that's ok - as long as that's what THEY want and they're not buying that model for stupid bragging rights.

As I said, if you're always looking for something "better", you'll never enjoy what you have. Enjoy the 1520 for what it is and how it meets your needs. Leave the bragging rights to Apple sheep.
    11-13-2014 09:01 AM
    I went from 920 to 1520.3 (RM-938) at Tmobile. Never looked back, love it. You need 1700 and 2100 bands on the RM-938 to enjoy the LTE on Tmobile. Green, the Hulk looks good but I need the speed.
    jwinch2 likes this.
    11-13-2014 09:12 AM
56 123