Considering 1520 - Have a Few Questions

anon(8985111)

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
If you're fine with the size go with the 1520. Denim is just around the corner and the 1520 is the device that will reap all the benefits that Denim has in store.

anon(8860722)

May 16, 2014
Visit site
You should wait for next flagship, if you want to buy the phone now, better buy Lumia 735/730 or even lower model like Lumia 535 if you can live with these. Next year when flagship comes, you can buy then the flagship!

anon(8860722)

May 16, 2014
Visit site
How did you make "My smartphone history" your signature, and this picture you made yourself using which software?
The problem is that on these forums, you only hear about the times when people have problems with their phones. There is no reason for anybody to jump on a forum and say, "Hey, I've had this phone for a while and haven't had any problems at all."

CapoFantasma97

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
You should wait for next flagship, if you want to buy the phone now, better buy Lumia 735/730 or even lower model like Lumia 535 if you can live with these. Next year when flagship comes, you can buy then the flagship!

Then wait 10 years, so you'll get a better flagship phone...

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I have several 1520's from various regions of the world and all have the touch issue. It's still the best phone I've ever had though and as much as I'd want to swap it for a new model with this particular hardware bug fixed - I stick with it because there are no viable alternatives available (with Windows Phone) at the moment.

Once you've used this for a week or so there is no going back to a smaller screen. Even the Galaxy Note 3 feels "small" now, which really it isn't. Using my wife's 1020 is horrendous and my mother in laws 520 is even worse.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm surprised so many people are having problems with the 1520. I've had it since launch, in the UK, with zero problems. And it's only got better with the updates.

I wonder, but is the touch screen sensitivity issue a regional issue? I will tell anyone the 1520 is the best device, on WP, and one of the best devices full stop (I carry the 1520 alongside a galaxy s5 and an iphone 5s/blackberry passport - all for business, so have experience and compare the lot of 'em) and I've never seen anyone else with a 1520, nor any wp device actually, so can't tell whether my device was a fluke or not.

I'd just say try the phone and see if it works for you. I find out fits my hands perfectly and it really is excellent for acting as an entertainment device, email and web browsing are great on that screen and the camera is excellent, albeit slow, when compared to the other flagships (the 1520 is a second faster, at least, compared to my 1020). In my opinion it is the best all round wp has to offer. That sd card makes it just heard and shoulders better than the next offering.

Oh, I'm a rm-937, bought unlocked and sim free in the UK.

And OP, for the prices quoted I'd say the 1520 is hands down the best, but they one in your hands and make the decision. Definitely give it a try!

Last edited:

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeh but we have to remember that it is our mentality to react when something is wrong than when something is right :). Maybe that's why there are huge number of reports saying that their device has this bug than those who don't.

Oh, I agree. People are far more likely to complain when things go bad then they are to give praise when it works as it should. However, the number of reports is problematic.

agentmikeyd99

Banned
Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
No way. Why buy year old hardware now? Of course, with no premium phones coming, is only option if u want large screen...MS is f'ing up and that is the real problem

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
How did you make "My smartphone history" your signature, and this picture you made yourself using which software?

I found pics of the various smartphones I have had, put them in powerpoint, saved as a picture, and cropped it in paint. There are probably easier ways to do it, but that one worked fine for me.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
You want to get the RM-938 (AKA 1520.3) not the 937 or the 940. The 940 is AT&T's watered down crap which may be locked and won't work on T-Mobile. The 937 doesn't have the US bands for LTE. The 938 is an unlocked and non watered down version of the 940. From what I've heard it works perfectly on T-Mobile. I personally know it works perfectly on AT&T. I've had both H+ and LTE on it. If you get the 937 you probably won't get LTE.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes its a year old, but its a great phone and I don't regret purchasing it just about a month ago. If the rumors of the 1525/1530 were true what would that get me? a QHD display? I already can't see the pixels unlike the 928 so no biggie there. A SD 805? A minor upgrade at best. The phone already has incredible battery life. About the only thing that would justify me getting a new phone at this point would be a better camera. The 928 had a xenon flash. The 1520 doesn't. I was surprised on how much of a difference xenon vs led makes. Also since it has SD support, storage is not an issue either.

No way. Why buy year old hardware now? Of course, with no premium phones coming, is only option if u want large screen...MS is f'ing up and that is the real problem

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes its a year old, but its a great phone and I don't regret purchasing it just about a month ago. If the rumors of the 1525/1530 were true what would that get me? a QHD display? I already can't see the pixels unlike the 928 so no biggie there. A SD 805? A minor upgrade at best. The phone already has incredible battery life. About the only thing that would justify me getting a new phone at this point would be a better camera. The 928 had a xenon flash. The 1520 doesn't. I was surprised on how much of a difference xenon vs led makes. Also since it has SD support, storage is not an issue either.

For me it would be if they gave the "1530" true phablet abilities (stylus, split screen, etc.) to really allow people to take advantage of the large screen from a functional standpoint.

Bleser

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone. It really makes me want to give the 1520.3 a go. I figure worst-case scenario is I don't like the large size and I sell it on eBay to someone who wants it and maybe lose $50-$100, small price to pay for the ability to try it in daily use.

The use case I keep thinking about is getting in my car with the 1520 in my pocket and trying to get it out... not even sure I'd be able to without stopping the car. :)

To the questions/remarks about "year-old-hardware" - that makes no difference to me. It's still top-notch for a WP device, and I don't see anything coming that would really make me regret the choice. If anything the upcoming Microsoft Lumia devices are going to start looking like Samsung knock-offs (if the 535 is telling) which I wouldn't want anyway. Hopefully they keep the squared-off Nokia look for the high-end.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone. It really makes me want to give the 1520.3 a go. I figure worst-case scenario is I don't like the large size and I sell it on eBay to someone who wants it and maybe lose $50-$100, small price to pay for the ability to try it in daily use.

The use case I keep thinking about is getting in my car with the 1520 in my pocket and trying to get it out... not even sure I'd be able to without stopping the car. :)

To the questions/remarks about "year-old-hardware" - that makes no difference to me. It's still top-notch for a WP device, and I don't see anything coming that would really make me regret the choice. If anything the upcoming Microsoft Lumia devices are going to start looking like Samsung knock-offs (if the 535 is telling) which I wouldn't want anyway. Hopefully they keep the squared-off Nokia look for the high-end.

That is what I did, and I am now a week into my 1520 and I love it. The only problem I have is in my car. I don't have any place in my car to comfortably sit the phone. My 920 fit perfectly in my cup holder, there isn't a place big enough to fit the enormous 1520. So, it stays in my pocket, which isn't too big of a problem right now, the weather is just getting cold here, so I can put it in my coat pocket where I can get it out while sitting in my car.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6