Just made the jump from a 920, to a 1520... Why was I worried?

Killer BIGxyz

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
This phone rocks in every aspect but one handed use,I don't really mind as I like it's size and resolution. I was worried if I should buy a year old flagship (yesterday was it's birthday 🎂) but this thing blows the 920 out the water. I got the green version and I love the color. To day one 920 users, the only thing I really miss is built in wireless charging, there is seriously nothing to worry about getting this phone!!!

undisputed n00b

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I would get a 1520, but the hardware problems like tap and scroll are stopping me from getting one and its incredibly outdated. The 1520 is the only Lumia that hasn't been updated and a new one can come out any day. I heard the tap and scroll problem is caused by some part inside the phone bending and causing a connection problem with the screen and board.

Killer BIGxyz

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I would get a 1520, but the hardware problems like tap and scroll are stopping me from getting one and its incredibly outdated. The 1520 is the only Lumia that hasn't been updated and a new one can come out any day. I heard the tap and scroll problem is caused by some part inside the phone bending and causing a connection problem with the screen and board.

I never read about that scrolling issue but definitely heard of it, I seem to have no issues with this though

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Are you talking about the screen sensitivity issue? It does occur some mostly I notice it in the people hub. It doesn't bother me too much. But the 1520 is not incredibly outdated. It's one a year old (I've only had mine for three months. It has sd card support and a quad core processor in the 800 series a large battery, and that's great I have a 64 GB ultra microSDcard in mine. It has a great camera IMHO and the a replacement is not going to be coming out until Windows 10 phones are released in early to mid 2015. Even then there's no guarantee what phones will be released. Microsoft is going after the lower to mid tier market not the high end market like the 1520. So IMHO your reasons for not embracing the 1520 and calling it outdated are erroneous. But you're entitled to your opinion.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

While I am not saying that there isn't a problem, I have never experienced the tap/swipe issue. I wouldn't call the 1520 outdated by any stretch of the imagination. It's specs are on par with the 930 and the M8, the newest and the highest spec'ed WP handsets in the market.

OP, nice choice. I love the green one, and that is what I would have bought had I gone the carrier route, but instead chose to buy the unsubsidized 1520.3 variant outright.

Madeye234

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I made the jump last month. The only major concern I had was the size. Here is my list that I mentally checked off before making my decision:

Pros:
  • 1520 getting Denim
  • Camera
  • Huge battery life versus 920
  • Bigger screen does allow me to read ebooks better
  • Windows 8.1
Cons:
  • The screen size - I have medium hands so it can be uncomfortable holding for a long period of time, ideally for me 5.0-5.5 screen
  • Hardly pocket able in jeans - I'm not seriously putting this beast in jeans or thin shorts, it will look ridiculous
  • The weight - looks and feels best without a case, but if you have to a case makes it bulkier and heavier, around the 920 weight
  • Being made fun of by my teenagers - Oh well, i'm the boss so they will have to love it too.

Besides all that, the pro outweighed the cons for me, especially since I will have to wait at least a year for a decent 1520 replacement
    I also have no had any hardware issues that have been pointed out by some with the screen or camera. Its been fun using the phone.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Its really just a minor quirk, not a problem, have you ever used it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss