Looking for Nokia 1520 set-up hints and/or WP set up advice.

threewulfmoon

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I really appreciate the Windows Central community and the advice I received in another thread. I lucked upon what I feel like is a good deal for a pristine used 1520. I'm awaiting delivery later this week. So I was wondering if you had any tips about how to get the most out of my new 1520 and get it set up quickly. I also bought a case--a cell armor snap together hybrid.

I use exchange for work email and Gmail for personal. I use Dropbox for document management.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
exchange and gmail should work perfectly.
remember to create a microsoft account to set up your phone with. for dropbox, you can use rudy huyn's app. (search it up)
it'll probably take you a few days to download all the apps you want and to perfect your home screen layout

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
To save time, unpin every tile from the tile screen and then pin back the ones you want and use, that way from day one the phone is yours and not covered with tiles you don't want.

Go into settings and change colours to a scheme you like, I went for Xbox Green, my lad has his set to sh*tty brown and my wife has steel on her phone all with the dark background.

As mentioned you need a Microsoft account with an Hotmail or Outlook email address but that doesn't stop you adding Gmail (I still have an email account with them) although I haven't used Exchange I am sure it will set up OK.

You get OneDrive with the phone, probably 15 g, you don't mention if you have other PC's etc, I haven't used Dropbox, but can recommend OneDrive especially if you are an Office user with Office 365 as currently you get 1TB of storage and this is going to be Unlimited (A lot).

And sorry I do have to say this, get yourself an Xbox One, take a picture on the phone, it uploads to OneDrive and is then viewable on your telly without any real work on your part. In other words the integration between MS stuff is getting really good and that is before we get Windows 10 :smile:

Enjoy your 1520, I know I enjoy mine.

threewulfmoon

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I've been using Hotmail for a long time, but I switched over to Gmail. I have a Microsoft account and I love how it syncs the settings on my two tablets and my office PC. Microsoft is definitely doing this multi-device convergence strategy the right way. Apple has won the battle, but I think with its strategy going forward, Microsoft can make up a lot of the ground it's lost over the course of the war. People are always quite enamored when they see me taking notes with the stylus on my Asus Vivotab, and it gets better when I show them all of the indexing and search features of OneNote coupled with how it syncs with OneDrive to keep my notebooks updated across all of my machines!

threewulfmoon

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Ok guys, I got my 1520 in and have been setting it up. Set up has went good except for my internet connection sharing does not work anymore. I get an error saying that Internet connection sharing is not enable and to contact AT&T support. I am using AT&T with a 20 GB mobile share plan and I swapped my sim over from my 5c. My 1520 is running 8.10.12397.985 and is hardware version 4.1.0.0. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

threewulfmoon

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Just an update. After a day or so, I noticed the problem with the internet connection sharing worked itself out. I was having problems sending and receiving MMS, but the problem resolved as well. It may have taken a couple of days for AT&T to recognize my new device and automatically provision the settings. All in all, I am pretty happy with my new device. I like the camera and the large, bright screen as I work outside quite often. I miss some of the apps being as "mature" as the iOS version--Facebook, I'm looking at you. I also miss my Amazon Music app. But for the most part, I've been plugging right along with the 1520. It makes me excited to see where the release of Windows 10 is going to take the Windows Phone platform.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion