Goin from a 1520 to HTC One M8

Dave Scarpa

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I've had the 1520 nearly a year and I'm thinking about going to a new Phone in January. Debating staying Windows Phone, going back to IOS or Android. For the most part I loved the 1520, I've had a few Freeze Issues, some reboots and wacky screen occurances but nothing that killed the experience for me. I miss having the Dish Anywhere app but everything else is fairly well represented. If I stay WP I was thinking about going to the HTC One M8, I love the metal body and overall look of this phone, the camera will be a pretty significant Downgrade, but I'm not a huge photo taker and the camera looks ok. Battery time will be decreased and that's another consideration, but despite everyone going to a larger size the 5 inch screen I think kinda hits a sweet spot for size and I think the phone looks pretty sweet. But will I be disappointed coming from a 1520 ?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nah, I won't say the M8 is worse, its just different.
I think you'll be fine, unless you rely on Lumia specific features like Glance, Beamer or Refocus.

But otherwise, I think you know what you're in for.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I have a 1520, and my wife has the HTC One. It's a great phone and won't disappoint. I am especially jealous of the lack of phantom touch issue. All kidding aside, I think you will love it.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
If the battery is a great issue, stay away from ios and far far away from droids.
I dont say they are bad, but if you dont want to run dry than i would even think of droids.

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
If the battery is a great issue, stay away from ios and far far away from droids.
I dont say they are bad, but if you dont want to run dry than i would even think of droids.

The older Droid Maxx and now the Droid Turbo have unprecedented battery life of any smartphone ever made. No other stock device can touch them.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
The older Droid Maxx and now the Droid Turbo have unprecedented battery life of any smartphone ever made. No other stock device can touch them.

Hm my 1320 ( 3 days ) and my old 520 ( 2 days ) have proven there selves. I wonder if those droids wil last that long after 6 months or longer of usage.
But time wil tell ;)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
assuming no defective batteries, they would. Android devices aren't exactly rare or new. the question for any device is more 6 years than months.

ultravi0let

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
assuming no defective batteries, they would. Android devices aren't exactly rare or new. the question for any device is more 6 years than months.

You must be kidding... regardless of brand or type, hanging on to an electronic gadget for 6 years is completely ridiculous given that they have a useful lifespan of 1.5-2 years tops before planned obsolescence occurs.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
We have an m8 windows in house and honestly while the phone is lovely it just doesn't feel the same as using the Lumia phones I know and love. The Lumia experience and I love the fact that even now we still get app exclusives.

That's one thing going forward you have to keep in mind. Microsoft releases apps for Lumia devices exclusively and you likely won't see it on HTC or at least not anytime soon. Case in point movie moment which is a Lumia and surface app. What's to say more won't come.

I also believe imo Lumia will be among the first to get windows 10. None of HTC older models have 8.1 offially and they barely supported their lineup in windows phone 7 era

Also keep in mind that certain features like hey Cortana are only exclusive to Lumia. At least as far as we know. Your 1520 has been officially stated as to getting the hey Cortana feature in denim. Nothing has been yet said for non Lumia devices.

Personally to me the m8 *** attractive as it may be represents a more vanilla and less flavored windows phone experience over Lumia which can be boring plus questionable support and don't get me started on the camera.

Besides aside from the speakers, honestly you are essentially just exchanging for a smaller device with nearly the same specs in alot of cases which is a waste of an upgrade imo.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You must be kidding... regardless of brand or type, hanging on to an electronic gadget for 6 years is completely ridiculous given that they have a useful lifespan of 1.5-2 years tops before planned obsolescence occurs.

Yup I was half-kidding.
I actually do have a decade-old Palm Treo hanging around which works relatively fine.

But yea, I was just saying the things will definitely last 6 months, 6 years though... eh.

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I think with DP and app comparables these days the Lumia software argument is very slender. Hardware is a different story and one mans trash is an other's gold, it's really a personal choice for what suits an individual. Personally having a very different choice of hardware to Lumia can only be a good thing for WP.

jorkobe23

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I think Lumia 1520 is superior in terms of the finish of the product. I heard HTC products always have the QC issue. I'm using a black Lumia 1520 too and it is an amazing phone.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I think with DP and app comparables these days the Lumia software argument is very slender. Hardware is a different story and one mans trash is an other's gold, it's really a personal choice for what suits an individual. Personally having a very different choice of hardware to Lumia can only be a good thing for WP.
And I disagree. Dp is good but i
Will take an official release(Along with OS enhancements) over dp which isn't optimized for my particular device and could possibly carry some issues. Which people have reported and I experienced myself. Having the DP does not negate Lumia and Microsoft amazing support nor does it excuse HTC poor support.

One only has to look at Samsung and the issues some customers are having with their windows phone and DP.

if you want the best windows phone experience that come with innovative and enviable features for example pureview cameras along with other cool features that Lumia possess not to mention the priority, Lumia is the way to go. And if you're in the us, a Lumia on att is the way to go.

Fact is none of HTC phone have gotten windows phone 8.1.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Listen to your self's, you all complain that Windows phone gets no respect, but when a company like HTC comes out with a top of the line Windows phone like the M8 you all can't wait to bash it and put it down. Do you all really think Windows phone is going to grow with just the Lumia line of phones? Every make of Android phone is different from each other, the only thing they have in common is the OS and Google app's , they all put their own spin on their phones. The HTC M8 for Windows is no different, it has all the Microsoft app's it has Here maps and Here drive, plus some great HTC app's that the lumia's do not have. And yes I have a new M8 Windows phone from AT&T and I love it, Great upgrade from my 920. The only phone Lumia has even close to the spec's of the M8 is the 1520, and the 1520 is a nice phone but it is just to big, my wife loves hers but then she has a purse to pack it around in. Be happy we are getting more choices in makes and models of Windows phones, more choices means more growth .

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Choice is what everyone wants. I love my 1520 and simply will not switch to anything without a comparable screen size. However, I WOULD like the "choice" to upgrade to a new 1520 with some tweaks, updated specs and gorilla glass 3/4. The fact that some, have started to look for "updated alternatives" speaks to Microsoft's weakness... Before you can conquer you must first learn to defend what you have. Give those of us who LIKE our phones an opportunity to buy more, stay loyal and spend money!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Choice is not what everyone wants. Just look at the iPhone. Those users are quite happy with their device and I'd love for Microsoft to focus on one central flagship(Lumia of course) each year and give us the best of the best. Make the low end phones if you must, but give us that one signature device.

In fact the way the world works generally speaking if people are happy with something, most people will generally stick with something UNLESS they are otherwise given a reason to look elsewhere. I'd love an updated 1520 simply because I've had this phone for a year. I tried switching to an iPhone 6+ twice and I liked it but missed my UI but i'd never switch to an M8 or something else just because I had to have the newest windows phone simply because the OS is essentially the same and these updates specs are basically pointless at this point and time because the M8 doesn't run any better on Windows phone 8.1 update 1 than my 1520 does(use both so I know) and it is a waste of an upgrade while also downgrading in features and apps that I find useful to me :p

Microsoft appears to be defending what they have...the low end Lumia have always been dominant and it appears that is exactly what Microsoft is conquering with the recently hailed 535 and of course the 635 and even 735. I'm loyal to Microsoft not because they release phones but because unlike HTC they actually will support the phones :p

Your last line sounds Ironic when used in an argument defending HTC because they really have done absolutely nothing to warrant loyalty which is why most people shy away or reject them on the Windows Phone side and chose the company who did earn loyalty...Nokia, now Microsoft. For those who which to venture off to the HTC world, they seem happy but these are also the same people who we will likely see complaining about "omg, it's been 6 months and I don't have windows 10 yet."

But at least they have DP. /sarcasm
Choice is what everyone wants. I love my 1520 and simply will not switch to anything without a comparable screen size. However, I WOULD like the "choice" to upgrade to a new 1520 with some tweaks, updated specs and gorilla glass 3/4. The fact that some, have started to look for "updated alternatives" speaks to Microsoft's weakness... Before you can conquer you must first learn to defend what you have. Give those of us who LIKE our phones an opportunity to buy more, stay loyal and spend money!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Listen to your self's, you all complain that Windows phone gets no respect, but when a company like HTC comes out with a top of the line Windows phone like the M8 you all can't wait to bash it and put it down. Do you all really think Windows phone is going to grow with just the Lumia line of phones? Every make of Android phone is different from each other, the only thing they have in common is the OS and Google app's , they all put their own spin on their phones. The HTC M8 for Windows is no different, it has all the Microsoft app's it has Here maps and Here drive, plus some great HTC app's that the lumia's do not have. And yes I have a new M8 Windows phone from AT&T and I love it, Great upgrade from my 920. The only phone Lumia has even close to the spec's of the M8 is the 1520, and the 1520 is a nice phone but it is just to big, my wife loves hers but then she has a purse to pack it around in. Be happy we are getting more choices in makes and models of Windows phones, more choices means more growth .

Where did I bash it? You people seem to mistake being critical and calling it like it is bashing. It's called being aware. Having been with Windows Phone 8 since day 1 and even keeping up with Windows phone 7 news prior to that, nobody is bashing it.

Considering Windows Phone only grew AFTER Lumia came about and for the last 2 and half years, Lumia has been holding it up just fine...yeah I do think Lumia can carry and grow Windows Phone. Especially since Samsung's High end and HTC high end are often forgotten and basically irrelevant when it comes to market share. of course I do believe those low end phones are influential as well in helping market share. But the bulk of it goes back to Lumia.

I really wish people would stop focusing on OEMs. Wake up people...The lack of OEMs has never been the problem with windows phone. It is the lack of apps. the lack of apps...let's say it one more time. The lack of apps.

If the apps were equal to Android and IOS...it doesn't matter if there was just the 1520, 930, 830, 730 and 530(the 630 is basically irrelevant). Because the hardware is already envied by those on other OSes.

Yes it is nice to see HTC making windows phone again...even if it is a hand me down of android model they already are known for and they do little to no marketing for it.

But HTC can disappear and they still wouldn't drastically affect marketshare. Again, look at the last 2 years prior and where HTC was and what little relevance they have for our marketshare. Even now on 3 carriers, do you REALLY think HTC is going to suddenly get Windows Phones any significant increase? Nope.

Be happy with your M8, but I do feel like you M8 owners feel the need to be defensive over your purchase. Just because I or anyone else is critical of M8, doesn't mean anything other than, we're going off our own experiences and until HTC shows otherwise, then they have no support from me or many others. Those of waiting for high end lumias who want the best with the best support without question.

And please, I wish people would stop discrediting the icon. The icon/930 is the 1520 in a smaller package with 98 percent of the same specs and is comparable to the M8 as well.

And of course let's not forget the Samsung ATIV Se which is also comparable to both the Icon/930 and M8 and an all around better device with little compromises compared to the m8 :) I recommend the OP sticks with what they have<3

Dave Scarpa

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your well thought out answers. I really have till Feb to make a decision, I really love the 1520 ad everytime I get antsy about upgrading I think about how what I have is still pretty equal to what's out there now. I do like good sounding music and the 1520 is fine in that regard I'm just hearing the M8 is better, but probably not better enough to give up the benefits of the Lumia. You are right on Apps I have Ipads and I've had an Iphone and I like them well enough I love having anytype of app I need available,. I've managed my Bank by using the browser and not an app, But the one app I miss Is the Dish anywhere app so I can stream from my Dish Hopper, I think if Dish ever supported the Windows Phone platform it would be enough for me to swear my loyalty, but I guess they never will, so it does come down to apps, I wonder if MS will get around to coming out with a replacement flagship

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your well thought out answers. I really have till Feb to make a decision, I really love the 1520 ad everytime I get antsy about upgrading I think about how what I have is still pretty equal to what's out there now. I do like good sounding music and the 1520 is fine in that regard I'm just hearing the M8 is better, but probably not better enough to give up the benefits of the Lumia. You are right on Apps I have Ipads and I've had an Iphone and I like them well enough I love having anytype of app I need available,. I've managed my Bank by using the browser and not an app, But the one app I miss Is the Dish anywhere app so I can stream from my Dish Hopper, I think if Dish ever supported the Windows Phone platform it would be enough for me to swear my loyalty, but I guess they never will, so it does come down to apps, I wonder if MS will get around to coming out with a replacement flagship

The m8 is really not better and even with is weaknesses it isn't necessarily worse than the 1520. It's simply nothing really different than what you have tbh. I'm sure Microsoft will be coming out with a replacement. Iwill be livid if they didn't as this and the 1520 are fan favorites within the community.
I aabsolutely love mine and honestly there really is nothing else presently that can do better and this is why I have had this phone as long as I have.

The app situation is the main problem unfortunately and that is unfortunate but hardware wise isn't the issue.the iPhone as you know has the best experience and honestly if something goes wrong next year with windows phone, I can safely say I can migrate over.

But you may as well stick with what you have instead of essentially trading for what you already have presently with some aspects weaker.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss