Would you purchase this replacement display? AT&T Nokia 1520 with a broken digitzer

greenbluekidz

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
My 1520 has a broken screen. It's the AT&T variant. I use it in Canada with Koodo.

Long and short of the story is that the display and digitizer is toast and I have to replace it. I am going to fix it myself - it has to be easier than replacing a Sony Xperia Z1 display :).

Can anyone provide any links to reputable places that sell the IPS displays? Everyone that I've checked out so far on eBay only sells the knockoff LCD's.

I can't send the phone in for repairs because I am not in the US. Opinions please? I've attached a picture of my phone.$_57.JPG

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Is it possible to change only the glass?

If you're talking about this phone? No since he said that the whole screen is damaged and none functional. If you mean in general... yes but it has to be done by a professional since separating the glass from the LCD is a very complicated work and only a few are willing to do that. Anyone who's new to phone repairs shouldn't replace the glass display only instead pay for the whole LCD+Digitizer+Frame.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
I would like to change the glass, I dropped the phone and glass splintered, but everything works fine.

Sure you can fix it but I warn you it's not very easy and almost guaranteed to not work and it will void your warranty, you will need a heat source (heatgun, iFixit iOpener, hair dryer etc...) if you don't have one, you'll need to get one. Also the Nokia Care folks recommend NOT touching the front glass display, they use glue on it to keep it with the LCD+ Digitizer.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I tried on my old 900 just after I replaced the whole digitizer. The wholde LCD and digitizer worked fine. It slipped outta my shirt pocket, hit my Steele toe boot and on to some sand/dirt mix. I used a heat gun and some patience and success. I even tried it on an old digitizer that I had were I damaged the ribbon cable so I figured I'd practice on that first before the working digitizer. Easier to replace the whole thing.

crazycanucks1977

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I just sent my 1520 to Palco and just got it back yestarday and I live in Vancouver. I drove across the border and just shipped it from there and back. Are you close to the border?

wolgfang franco1

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
Sure you can fix it but I warn you it's not very easy and almost guaranteed to not work and it will void your warranty, you will need a heat source (heatgun, iFixit iOpener, hair dryer etc...) if you don't have one, you'll need to get one. Also the Nokia Care folks recommend NOT touching the front glass display, they use glue on it to keep it with the LCD+ Digitizer.

know of a store in miami who can do this type of work ?? Im from venezuela

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I learned from YouTube. Your best bet is replacing the entire digitizer and it shouldn't be too hard from the start cause its just a few steps to get to the ribbon cable for the digitizer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon