Cracked camera lens on the 1520

jesusfreak420

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

I recently purchased a Lumia 1520, and am loving it so far. The big screen certainly makes a difference when replying to e-mails. I'm really disappointed though as I've only had it for a week, and somehow the glass lens on the camera has cracked. The real bizarre thing is that it has a screen protector on and is used in a case. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and has managed to fix it? I saw replacement lenses on eBay, but it appears as if you have to open the 1520 to install it. It looks far too complex for me. Is there anything else that can be done?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you can offer.

Stu 😊

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It is either DIY or a repair shop... You could check for a warranty replacement of the device?

Yes, you would have to open the case for a Do It Yourself job. Tools can be had on eBay and How-To vidz are on the YouTube. Way cheaper than a paid repair as I understand it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that advice. Do you think the camera lens is something that the warranty would cover?

Thanks once again. 

I could not say...

Ask. That's all you can do. If you were stabbing at the glass with an ice pick? No. If you set the phone down normally and it just cracked? Maybe? You won't know if you don't ask for the warranty.

yoitsbenvo

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I've had this problem and NO YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE APART THE 1520. I bought the lens for about $5 on eBay. Took me about 15 mins to install it. All you need is an exact-o blade, tweezers, and patience. I simply insert the knife into the broken glass lens, be careful not to damage the camera itself, and remove the glass piece my piece. And underneath that is a tape adhesive. Clear the tape with the blade carefully (but still leave the tape stuck to the 1520) until the broken shards are removed. After that clean the new lens, and pop it right in. And youre all done! :)

KJin001

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I've had this problem and NO YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE APART THE 1520. I bought the lens for about $5 on eBay. Took me about 15 mins to install it. All you need is an exact-o blade, tweezers, and patience. I simply insert the knife into the broken glass lens, be careful not to damage the camera itself, and remove the glass piece my piece. And underneath that is a tape adhesive. Clear the tape with the blade carefully (but still leave the tape stuck to the 1520) until the broken shards are removed. After that clean the new lens, and pop it right in. And youre all done! :)
I think its safer to disassemble then 😂

jesusfreak420

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys. I really appreciate all the feedback. 👍 I spoke to the seller and they said it is covered under warranty. 😊 They are replacing the whole phone (which seems slightly overkill). I hope this next one isn't as fragile. 📱

Stu 😊

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That would be S.O.P.; replace the whole phone, keep customer happy, no wait for repair turnaround and you keep your phone going. They refurbish your return and sell it as Refurbed to recoup their losses.

​Glad the warranty applied.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo