How I used my Lumia 1520 at work today.

threewulfmoon

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I want to start off by saying that I really appreciate the input I received from my posts here when II was research switching from an iPhone to a Windows Phone device (which ended up being a Lumia 1520). I was a little concerned about switching to WP because I use my phone quite a bit for work and use some specialized apps to do so. I am employed as the director of emergency management for a small community in eastern KY. I use my phone at work to manage my email, research, collect GPS information, pull up maps, and post public information to my agency's Facebook page. The majority of my days are spent in the office writing plans, etc. However, I still do quite a bit of field work.

Today, I was called out to a single vehicle accident where the involved vehicle entered the ditch and struck a natural gas service line to a nearby residency, starting a natural gas leak. As soon as I arrived on-scene, I used my 1520 and the Map Tools app to grab my location and GPS coordinates on the map. This was an app suggested by Windows Central forums members and I'm glad they did. It is a great little tool! I used the screenshot feature to snap a picture of the Map Tools screen, used the camera app to crop the picture, and then attempted to post it to my agency's Facebook page as an informational notice.

Problem # 1. The native Facebook app only allows text posts to Pages. This is a huge reduction in functionality from the iOS Facebook app. And there is no standalone Pages app either. Luckily, there is a 3rd party Facebook Page manager app--FB Pages Manager Pro. This app allowed me to post my pictures to my agency Facebook page, as well as see the Insights regarding how many people my posts reached and how many times it was shared. Problem solved, but it bugs me I had to go with a 3rd party app to do so.

wp_ss_20141216_0004.jpg

Finally, I was able to take some great pictures of the incident. It amazes me just how much detail there is in these pictures when you zoom in. I was able to stay in the cold zone around the leak and take some great pictures. The Lumias have certainly cornered the market on quality smartphone cameras.

Overall, I am extremely happy with the way my phone allowed me to do everything I needed. I'm very happy with the purchase of my Lumia 1520!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)