[L1520] Denim - Solved erratic touch - tap

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,
Here's the update of one week with Denim.
1- erratic scroll register as a tap is 95% corrected. Got only one wrong register in a week of use.
2- aptX is working with my Sony SBH80 Bluetooth headset. Sound has improved significantly. On pair with my htc one m7.
3- Giroscope is working fine.

Overall L1520 has truly improved with this firmware.
This is more important than "hey Cortana" thing..

This is great news, and I hope we will all have similar reports when it gets pushed out globally. I'm not willing, however, to risk flashing an incorrect firmware on my phone.

I think this glitch is the biggest reason I keep debating on switching phones. The size isn't ideal for me, but this glitch is genuinely infuriating, so I keep debating on 930 and 830. A fix would likely pacify me until a 1030 model is announced. :)

Jerrycw

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I could have fixed this hardware error years ago :?( in software - but wth

I tested this and the false tap instead of drag is because of hardware reporting double tap instead of tap and drag

pseudo code is this...
if double tap is reported check time between taps
if time between taps is less than XXXX Nano seconds then ignore double tap and pretend its finger down

but I given up now - I still use my 1520 but it makes me so sad and mad they did this to us :?(

It's a drag vs single tap instead of double tap. Code this

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Very funny....same topics over and over. First of all: there is a thread about this issue here already. There it is clearly stated (byme and others) that it is a hardware problem causing this erratic behavior and some possible explanations given, most likely a design flaw causing problems with capacitive coupling an / or proper grounding. What you seeing (with every firmware update or cold reboot) is simply the effects of the hardware being re-initialized and appear the problem has been cured. So many people reported as well that Cyan fixed it for them and then some weeks later admit it did not.
FORGET ABOUT A SOFTWARE FIX FOR THIS PROBLEM!
If there is any possible then only in a very limited way and only able to cure some symptoms and not the cause itself. Also keep in mind that the 1520 is an "old" phone already and Microsoft started releasing their own devices while Nokia / Microsoft did not even admit acknowledged issues of the 1520's sensitivity. So there nothing much to expect anymore from MS regarding this issue. Face it guys, but we riding a dead horse.

miguelsantos

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Very funny....same topics over and over. First of all: there is a thread about this issue here already. There it is clearly stated (byme and others) that it is a hardware problem causing this erratic behavior and some possible explanations given, most likely a design flaw causing problems with capacitive coupling an / or proper grounding. What you seeing (with every firmware update or cold reboot) is simply the effects of the hardware being re-initialized and appear the problem has been cured. So many people reported as well that Cyan fixed it for them and then some weeks later admit it did not.
FORGET ABOUT A SOFTWARE FIX FOR THIS PROBLEM!
If there is any possible then only in a very limited way and only able to cure some symptoms and not the cause itself. Also keep in mind that the 1520 is an "old" phone already and Microsoft started releasing their own devices while Nokia / Microsoft did not even admit acknowledged issues of the 1520's sensitivity. So there nothing much to expect anymore from MS regarding this issue. Face it guys, but we riding a dead horse.

IT's not to be funny, its a fact! Install Denim and then let's us know if you still have the same opinion, smartie

striderbih

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Very funny....same topics over and over

And same wrong claims over and over.

Why do you think that symptomps of hardware bug can't be completely cured using a software fix?
No one is expecting that MS can eliminate hardware bug itself, but everyone expect and hope that they will find some kind of workaround for this issue.
Evidences already show that some (software!) actions can (temporary) eliminate this problem, so it's clear sign that this is POSSIBLE using "SOFT" actions.
I'm not sure if swipe is interpreted as single or double tap (which is huge difference, in terms of fixing this bug), but we all hope that they will finaly fix this (even it doesn't bother me too much on my L1520).

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
ehm...sorry for how many weeks / months you already running on Denim to state it is fixed permanently by this update? :smile:
But anyways I am glad if it sorted out the issues you had with your device and hope it stays to!

miguelsantos

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Or correct English

(in case it was missed, this was for the correcting commenter above me)

"Have you ever wanted to look at proper English versus slang to compare the two? A good place to start is to explore what makes a word a slang word and compare the English word with its slang equivalent."

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
And same wrong claims over and over.

Why do you think that symptomps of hardware bug can't be completely cured using a software fix?
No one is expecting that MS can eliminate hardware bug itself, but everyone expect and hope that they will find some kind of workaround for this issue.
Evidences already show that some (software!) actions can (temporary) eliminate this problem, so it's clear sign that this is POSSIBLE using "SOFT" actions.
I'm not sure if swipe is interpreted as single or double tap (which is huge difference, in terms of fixing this bug), but we all hope that they will finaly fix this (even it doesn't bother me too much on my L1520).

Why are you so quick to dismiss multiple claims that it seems to be resolved? I experience the issue on mine constantly, so any relief would be valued.

A hardware fault can still be mitigated by software adjustments in many cases, so I'll take the word of a user with the update over a negative comment any day.

Luigi Zarlenga

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I have had this issue on my device from day 1 and I would get it on nearly every scoll/swipe. After manually flashing the Finland Country Variant firmware (059v282) on my APAC HK Chinese Country Variant (059v255), I received Lumia Denim OTA and installed it. I did not have Hey Cortana, but I went and disabled PFD and went back to settings, and at the bottom of my settings, I had Hey Cortana. I have been using my phone extensively and have tested it purposefully and I have not had the scroll/tap issue at all today or yesterday.
So, how is tap/scroll, still ok?

aschettler

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I've experienced both instances of the "tap/swipe = double tap" and the "erratic behavior with touch screen and navigation buttons". I've replaced my phone under warranty twice and occasionally have these problems with my newest device. I've noticed the erratic behavior is most definitely a hardware issue. Because the device is so large yet so thin, the screen flexes under less pressure than smaller or thicker devices. This causes numerous tap events to register in different parts of the screen, causing the erratic behavior. The single tap and swipe issue is most likely a combination of hardware and software issues. It's entirely possible that a hardware defect in the LCD panels used in the 1520 is making it difficult to tune the drivers for the touchscreen digitizer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven