[L1520] Denim - Solved erratic touch - tap

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Wait a day, it'll be back (;

Lol but seriously, you might want to wait because updates to extra+info would often do this, then they would return. Crossing my fingers hoping they fixed it though.

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Too early to tell at the moment IMO. Could you please post another update after you have used it for a bit longer?

poststamp

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I flashed my Phone to the Finnish rom and got Denim now. First thing i noticed, is the lag is mostly gone. This is much better than Cyan and untill now the tap/scroll issue seems absent. I hope it stays away.
Edit: Unwanted touch is still present.

Last edited:

g4mbl1n

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Turn off vibration in the navigation buttons.. Seems to have solved my phantom touches. Been going 2 weeks no random backs or cortana popping up.

poststamp

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, but it doesn't work in my case. The tap/scroll is barely present on my phone so it isn't really annoing, but i hoped it would be completely gone.

xerox13ster

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I have had this issue on my device from day 1 and I would get it on nearly every scoll/swipe. After manually flashing the Finland Country Variant firmware (059v282) on my APAC HK Chinese Country Variant (059v255), I received Lumia Denim OTA and installed it. I did not have Hey Cortana, but I went and disabled PFD and went back to settings, and at the bottom of my settings, I had Hey Cortana. I have been using my phone extensively and have tested it purposefully and I have not had the scroll/tap issue at all today or yesterday.

xerox13ster

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Mine is still good. The only issue I have having flashed the rom is I no longer have access to Modern Combat 4, FIFA14, NOVA3, UrbanSpoon, Zillow, or Last.fm. I don't know about last.fm because I don't remember, but I know I had the rest installed previously, not counting other apps that I didn't have installed no longer being available, and my region is the same as when I had the original Chinese firmware installed: USA.

JessPH

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm so glad I switched to a different windows phone and would never worry about this annoying problem ever again. 1520 is great except for this defect.

Luigi Zarlenga

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure that we are talking about the same issue. I've found a bit of confusion on this around forums. L1520 has two different flaws, one is the touch screen interpreting a scroll like a tap (or a tap as a double tap, that is the same, as appears that the CPU has some kind of throttling that make the data flow coming from touch screen intermittent). I used to have the same problem on my L920 using TVshow app, but only in that app, that makes me think that is software related. Also, if you power cycle the phone, usually the tap/scroll issue is gone for a while, and that points to the thesis of software/firmware related issue.
On the other hand, many people are complaining about another issue, that I had myself on 2 different 1520, that is related to navigation buttons, where you experience Cortana (or Bing search) popping out by itself, multitasking showing and shaking like crazy, often related to top left corner of touch screen acting like the back button. This has nothing to do with phantom tap issue, it's hardware related, and can be solved only opening the phone and tightening the screws placed on the motherboard, as the problem is caused by esd contacts not touching properly the metal plate behind the mo.bo. Someone suggested the bending trick, but unless you tighten the screws, it will come back. So, end of story, I really think that phantom tap can be fixed via firmware update.

Last edited:

miguelsantos

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,
Here's the update of one week with Denim.
1- erratic scroll register as a tap is 95% corrected. Got only one wrong register in a week of use.
2- aptX is working with my Sony SBH80 Bluetooth headset. Sound has improved significantly. On pair with my htc one m7.
3- Giroscope is working fine.

Overall L1520 has truly improved with this firmware.
This is more important than "hey Cortana" thing..

madusmacus

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I could have fixed this hardware error years ago :?( in software - but wth

I tested this and the false tap instead of drag is because of hardware reporting double tap instead of tap and drag

pseudo code is this...
if double tap is reported check time between taps
if time between taps is less than XXXX Nano seconds then ignore double tap and pretend its finger down

but I given up now - I still use my 1520 but it makes me so sad and mad they did this to us :?(

miguelsantos

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I could have fixed this hardware error years ago :?( in software - but wth

I tested this and the false tap instead of drag is because of hardware reporting double tap instead of tap and drag

pseudo code is this...
if double tap is reported check time between taps
if time between taps is less than XXXX Nano seconds then ignore double tap and pretend its finger down

but I given up now - I still use my 1520 but it makes me so sad and mad they did this to us :?(

??? What are you talking about?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12