The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-20-2016 02:48 AM
212 12345 ...
tools
    Please email reportapp@Microsoft.com and advise Microsoft to remove the app from the app store.
    12-19-2014 11:20 PM
    I had the same problem. I uninstalled chive and did a couple of soft resets. It's working now.
    I fear you will face problem again.. May not be immediate, but after some hours. Hard reset seems the only option. :/
    12-19-2014 11:31 PM
    Happened to me on a new 1520, bought today. I panicked and reformatted using the Lumia tool on stock 8.1 Cyan AT&T. My phone was totally dead. WTF.

Edit: read a bit more. Yes, like many, I read about The Chive on the front page (THANKS!) and downloaded it. That's what blew my new phone up, not Dev Preview OS. Thanks guys.

Even after uninstalling The Chive, my phone was totally broken. Had to use the Lumia reformatter tool for it to work again.

Bravo. I'll be very careful of this whole new "HAY GUYS WE'RE CLOSING THE APP GAP!!" flood of new apps. Nope. I'm done. I'll let others beta test apps (OS Dev updates are stable, thx).

Yes I'm mad. Everyone should be. A hard reset, losing everything, is the only fix. Jesus.
    Last edited by coolbreeze78; 12-20-2014 at 12:00 AM.
    12-19-2014 11:32 PM
    Please email reportapp@Microsoft.com and advise Microsoft to remove the app from the app store.
    Report the app in store. I have done the same for chivas and "5 minute home workout" apps, as these two are the root cause for this issue...
    12-19-2014 11:33 PM
    Report the app in store. I have done the same for chivas and "5 minute home workout" apps, as these two are the root cause for this issue...
    I had both of those apps. Unfortunately my phone went to the blue sad face so I couldn't even uninstall them... You can't report apps on the windowsphone.com website (I can't find the option).
    12-19-2014 11:36 PM
    The weirdest thing happened. I had the same problems as everyone here. I did install the chive app, but is it possible it's just a coincidence? Anyway, I did a hard reset and after I did that I checked extras+info. It said I had the DENIM firmware. How can this be? I'm in the U.S. on an ATT 1520. After I restored my phone it said cyan again. Very odd.
    12-19-2014 11:46 PM
    It's not working again. I guess I have to do a hard reset.
    12-19-2014 11:47 PM
    The weirdest thing happened. I had the same problems as everyone here. I did install the chive app, but is it possible it's just a coincidence? Anyway, I did a hard reset and after I did that I checked extras+info. It said I had the DENIM firmware. How can this be? I'm in the U.S. on an ATT 1520. After I restored my phone it said cyan again. Very odd.
    It's a bug in the info+exrtas app.
    12-19-2014 11:48 PM
    It's not working again. I guess I have to do a hard reset.
    Good luck. I couldn't even perform the hard reset...
    12-19-2014 11:49 PM
    Bug in extras & info. Been around for a long time. It's not Denim, sorry.

You are very lucky you didn't have to reformat, losing everything. Chive's devs are terrible and need to learn more. They broke many phones today.
    Good luck. I couldn't even perform the hard reset...
    I hope you have a Windows PC. If so, you have to download the Lumia updater and reformat your entire phone.

Fun!
    I hope you have a Windows PC. If so, you have to download the Lumia updater and reformat your entire phone.

Fun!
    I do. It was my only option. Even the tool was tricky because the phone kept rebooting over and over. Finally it worked.
    12-19-2014 11:54 PM
    I feel sorry for the parents/old people/regular people who use Windows Phone and happened to install this app. I'm betting they don't have One Drive backups (or any backup) turned on and have ZERO CLUE about how to reformat using the Lumia Restore.exe program.

Years of memories and photos, gone in an instant. This is a very serious situation for the entire platform. This app should have NEVER passed certification. Concerning to say the least.

The Chive needs to fix this right this second. Horrible.

We are fortunate because we know how to fix, even if it means losing everything. This app is going to cost a ton of money in carrier aggravation/support. The Chive should get the bill. No, really. Their ****ty coding broke every phone. All of them.
    Vlada Nehez and Srikanth3d like this.
    12-19-2014 11:56 PM
    I guess I was lucky. I just did a hard reset and restored a backup prior to today. It seems crazy this happened. I was so excited too because I'm an avid chiver and was really excited for the official app.
    12-20-2014 12:00 AM
    I feel sorry for the parents/old people/regular people who use Windows Phone and happened to install this app. I'm betting they don't have One Drive backups (or any backup) turned on and have ZERO CLUE about how to reformat using the Lumia Restore.exe program.

Years of memories and photos, gone in an instant. This is a very serious situation for the entire platform. This app should have NEVER passed certification. Concerning to say the least.

The Chive needs to fix this right this second. Horrible.
    I agree. This is a huge blow to the platform. This will be on every blog tomorrow...

I'm extremely lucky that I have backups enabled and OneDrive auto upload enabled. But I lost all my videos...
    12-20-2014 12:04 AM
    @ all who want to get the data,
    1. Try a soft reset first. It will make the phone to work normally for few minutes.
    2. Backup whatever u want from settings or by connecting to pc
    3. If the phone is locked, then connect it to power source, it will unlock.
    Hope this helps
    12-20-2014 12:15 AM
    Well uninstalling the app thechive did fix the problem but it was temporary. So I backed up my data and reset the phone. The phone is working pretty good at the moment. Weird part would be the extras in settings said I have Lumia denim but I didn't do anything. After resetting it's back to Lumia cyan. Lol. Blonde days of Windows phone.
    12-20-2014 01:20 AM
    Hmm........ Odd. I have a Lumia 635 installed the app, browsed around, didn't like it, uninstalled it. None of what was described happened. Still fine right now.
    12-20-2014 02:07 AM
    I thought I was alone. And now I see, many are having this exact same problem after installing theChive.
    12-20-2014 02:28 AM
    me tooo........... the chive app. But could it be coincidence? Because all of us obviously follow windows central regularly.
    12-20-2014 03:13 AM
    Happening to me on my Lumia 920 after installing the Chive app. Power button not working, double tap to wake up also not working. windows PC not recognizing the phone and manual backup from setting failed after 98% :(
    +920 exactly the same symptoms so far (lumia 920). Dammit it's my main work phone! Is anyone with 920 able to do a manual back up of apps+settings?
    12-20-2014 03:17 AM
    I have the exact same problem on my 1020... Thought I was the only one happened just a bit after I also installed The stupid f****** chive app!!!! Another issue I have is that it shows that I how no reception yet I can still receive and make calls and texts... And I can't put it in flight mode.... I've tried at least 15 soft resets but no luck..... Is a hard reset the only solution here? So long for the best app in the world lol
    12-20-2014 03:24 AM
    yes! you can't enable data connection, only wifi!
    12-20-2014 03:38 AM
    +920 exactly the same symptoms so far (lumia 920). Dammit it's my main work phone! Is anyone with 920 able to do a manual back up of apps+settings?
    I tried manual backup number of times but every time it failed at 99%. Eventually I gave up and did hard reset. To my surprise it asked me if I wanted to restore from backup saved today. In the end it restored everything but I did lose some good apps which the developers have pulled from the store so I am still somewhat pissed :(
    12-20-2014 03:55 AM
    Uninstall Chive. Why would anyone immediately resort to hard reset when the problem had already been identified?
    12-20-2014 04:01 AM
212 12345 ...