10-20-2016 02:48 AM
212 ... 45678 ...
tools
    I can concur that theChive is definitely responsible for my lock button issue. When I saw the WC article, I tried to replicate the issue with theChive and I did. Uninstalled it, then did a soft reset and my lock button was back to normal.
    12-20-2014 06:53 PM
    After few hours, you will post again saying the issue reoccured. :|
    Haha. Yep you are right. The issue has indeed rreoccurred. Need some firmware fix from Microsoft asap!
    12-20-2014 08:06 PM
    I've NOT installed chive in my Lumia 830. I had this problem badly for the last two days, that I hard resetted finally after around 50 desperate soft resets which didn't work. Now its ok till now. I installed Navmii and 5 Minute work out app and the problem started after that. So my inference is that this is problem with the extra and info update released two days back or some firmware related problem which is getting manifested when installing some unrelated apps which use some of the sensors. Better not to blame the app developer. Its a serious issue with Microsoft. Hope they fix it asap. After 12 hours of hard reset and extras and info again updated, till now the power button bug hasn't recurred.lets wait and see..
    12-20-2014 08:38 PM
    I noticed the same issue after using theChive app. Reading the post from Daniel, I decided to uninstall that app.

But unfortunately, uninstalling the app, the issue is worse than before. Earlier, I experienced problem with power button only after it the app for a while. Now after uninstalling, the problem surfaces right after the Windows Phone OS fully loads on. Also, now my phone is automatically restarted when shut down via lock screen button.

I have a Lumia 525
    12-20-2014 10:23 PM
    the only solution is to do a hard reset, and I am for sure its the chive app that has caused this problem, because had the gestures app before and no issues, installed the chive app and after that install did these problems start happening. I would suggest that both the chive and gestures apps be pulled from the stores.
    12-20-2014 11:32 PM
    I have uninstalled "the chive" app, but problem is not solved. Lock button is not working.
    Strangely, I did not have any problems when I installed that chive app. Problems started within half an hour of Uninstalling that app.

Lumia 520 Denim update
    Last edited by Srikanth3d; 12-21-2014 at 01:27 AM.
    12-21-2014 01:12 AM
    I have uninstalled "the chive" app, but problem is not solved. Lock button is not working.
    Strangely, I did not have any problems when I installed that chive app. Problems started within half an hour of Uninstalling that app.

Lumia 520 Denim update
    I second that. It has become wore since uninstalling chive app! I have set lock screen time out to 'never' because once the screen gets locked, there is no way to turn on phone screen except inserting the battery again.

I am going to use LSRT to reinstall OS and may be get the official Denim update.

I have Lumia 525 btw
    12-21-2014 06:11 AM
    I have just hard reset my phone as no other solution is found.
    Phone working fine after hard reset.
    If you have backed up all your phone settings, contacts, messages , then there wont be any problem with hard reset. All the apps are re downloaded. Even tiles position on start screen is restored.
    12-21-2014 07:57 AM
    I have just hard reset my phone as no other solution is found.
    Phone working fine after hard reset.
    If you have backed up all your phone settings, contacts, messages , then there wont be any problem with hard reset. All the apps are re downloaded. Even tiles position on start screen is restored.
    All true, but also be aware if you had progress on any games, it will be gone. You'll have to start again. I don't know how this affects in game purchases though.
    12-21-2014 08:46 AM
    I have exactly the same problems, I installed "TheChive" app and all those crazy things happened to me, power button does work, screen brightness is crazy and stuck on low, I have many lags, my battery quickly discharges, My phone is Lumia 520 so it's definitly not for Glance because I can't have Glance app.

It's 100% "TheChieve" app.
    It's driving me crazy!

Since I didn't find any way to post a bug report, I created a thread in ( answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpupdate/unresponsive-lock-button-system-lags-brightness/8e2fe619-5f65-4bee-a8d7-ab3a52f5d180?tm=1419173257657 ) microsoft answers community (Ohhhh god, the forum does not allow me to post Links :-|, u need to copy-paste the address)
    Everyone who has this problem please go to that thread and make it super active so we can receive a fix as soon as possible.
    Purge_GT likes this.
    12-21-2014 08:59 AM
    I've just experienced this problem or something related.
    I was using my phone and opened the camera from the lock screen. The camera wouldn't take pictures and the shutter button showed yellow. I closed the phone and rebooted it, and then it went totally unresponsive. Power button did nothing and it was getting a bit warm.
    It came on when I plugged it in, and opened up OK.
    The only apps I installed this week were Gestures Beta and Candy Crush. I was playing Candy Crush and had it "open" before locking the phone and going to the camera from the lockscreen.
    I have uninstalled Gestures, soft reset, and for now it seems OK.
    I guess it's Gestures or some new wide-ranging software bug from a recent update.
    12-21-2014 10:06 AM
    wp_ss_20141221_0002.jpg

I have denim running on my 928 and am seeing this same issue. Look at the top left of the attached picture. Does the OS somehow think the phone is off?
    12-21-2014 10:28 AM
    I guess that Chive app ****ed things up in the way the phone boots up or sets **** up. I already reset mine and everything seems to be acting normal. Now its just a matter of waiting 2 or so hours to finish downloading all the apps and stuff
    Same here using Lumia 720 and installed that ******* chive app and facing similar problem as mentioned by you guys
    12-21-2014 07:24 PM
    Only thing that solved this is hard reset so yeah :)
    mohit sood likes this.
    12-21-2014 07:26 PM
    Yeah hard reset solved my problem. And I repeat. Its not only chive, there are other apps also which produce the same problem. As I didn't install chive, I installed 5 minute workout and navmii apps. Don't know which one is the culprit.. Was really fed up of the bug. Is Microsoft aware of this bug?
    12-21-2014 09:15 PM
    Looks like both theChive and 10 Minute Home Workout have been pulled from the Store.
    12-22-2014 08:41 PM
    Looks like both theChive and 10 Minute Home Workout have been pulled from the Store.
    Yeah, but unless the monumental Windows bug is related to the spelling of the apps name, Pandora's box is still wide open.

Microsoft hasn't issued any warnings to customers about how to avoid the problem unless WC has dropped the ball reporting that MS has pushed out a fix. So at the moment, ANY new or updated app could trigger the same major Windows flaw accidentally or even intentionally and cause LOTS of Windows customers to have to hard reset.

I very much believe that MS is keeping quiet and hoping other apps don't trigger the bug until they can fix it. Widespread word of the Windows bug would be a huge blow to WP being seen as the safest and most stable smartphone platform (at least compared to Android and IOS).

Can you imagine if the few most popular apps started triggering this Windows bug and millions of people had to go thru a hard reset? It would set the platform back years or maybe even kill it. Aside from the downside of doing a hard reset, probably 90% of the owners don't even know the option exists or how to do it. The Android and Apple loving press would have a field day.

MS better get their act together and tell the developer world how to avoid triggering the bug or they need to get a Windows fix out ASAP. I think they are sitting on the former hoping they can do the latter before more apps cause it.

In the mean time, until we are better informed about this Windows bug, I'm not installing any new apps and may disable updates.
    WP8fan likes this.
    12-23-2014 05:36 AM
    Totally agree. This is unprecedented. I told people for years to not worry about installing from the Store and this is no longer true. This seems bigger than what is presented in the Windows Central article. People in these forums will simply tell you to do a hard reset (which does work), however explaining that to my wife, mom, and mother in law is another story.
    WP8fan likes this.
    12-23-2014 09:04 AM
    So I'm now officially in the same boat as the rest of you sadly. Had the Chive app, used it on occasion. All was good. Suddenly experienced lock screen issues today and noticed I had 7 pending apps in the store waiting to download but won't download. Cancelling and retrying didn't fix the updates. Tried a soft reset and still saw issues with my pending downloads and again, lock screen issues. So I removed the Chive app completely which like most of you here caused even more problems. After 10 or so soft resets it's finally allowed me to lock the screen and wake it properly. Though I don't know how long it will work fine for. I really don't want to do a hard reset despite that most things are backed up. Last restore I did didn't save my start screen set up and that alone took a good 45 min to re-do because of the all the folders I had. And I also don't want to lose game save data which doesn't always sync to the cloud for many games.

Any idea if the demin update could potentially resolve this for anyone who can hold off doing a hard reset?
    12-23-2014 11:17 AM
    I was very hesitant on hard resetting my Lumia 1520, and I am glad I was. My phone is now back to working normally. I had downloaded The Chive app. I had my power button malfunction. I had my phone experience a somewhat "downgrade". BUT.... My phone is currently back in working condition. What I did, I can't say exactly. But, here are some things that I did do. Uninstalled The Chive app. Turned Glance off. Turned my phone's lock setting to "never". Soft reset my phone multiple times, both plugged in and not plugged in. AND, I did not give up, lol. I really resisted hard resetting because, come on it sucks. And.... in the long run I was shocked when the phone turned off when I pushed the power button... Then more shocked when it turned back on... Then off and on and off and on and off and on... It is working again!

I will also take this opportunity to say that I am very disappointed that there has been NO accountability associated to this issue. Something screwed up. I feel that it is not the chive's fault, but the developer platform. Whatever they did with their app was allowed by the "governing agency". What I was searching for this entire time was a Microsoft release stating;

"HEY EVERYONE, we understand there is a problem that many people are experiencing with our OS. We do not know where the fault lies, but rest assure we are searching for it. We will keep you updated with any information." That would have kept me resilient.

Also, one thing I noticed during this time was that my phone displayed the battery icon as being charged, regardless of my phone being plugged in or not. Not sure the significance, but it was noticed.

I hope this helps those in my position of not wanting to hard reset. A couple of days with a phone that wouldn't acknowledge it's power button was no BIG deal.
    WP8fan likes this.
    12-24-2014 11:09 PM
    As an update, I have turned my phone's lock setting back to 1 minute. It is still working.
    12-24-2014 11:11 PM
    Oh. And also, I did uninstall the "Live Lock Screen BETA" app.

And.. my phones specs... AT&T, Nokia Lumia 1520, Developers preview, OS Version: 8.10.14219.341
    Last edited by Michael Adaniya; 12-24-2014 at 11:30 PM. Reason: More ****
    12-24-2014 11:15 PM
    As an update, I have turned my phone's lock setting back to 1 minute. It is still working.
    That's grt to see you have done some R&D here. Can you tell me how did you do lock screen setting to never? I didn't find that option in my L925.
    And yes, its totally irresponsible behavior from MS.
    12-25-2014 03:45 AM
    My L925 also does not have the possibility to switch to never but my 930 has. Both on CYAN + P4D.

And I do not agree that it is total irresponsible behaviour of ms. Sh.t can happen and this is a phone not an airplane.
    12-25-2014 04:28 AM
    My L925 also does not have the possibility to switch to never but my 930 has. Both on CYAN + P4D.

And I do not agree that it is total irresponsible behaviour of ms. Sh.t can happen and this is a phone not an airplane.
    Sh.t can happen. But why MS didn't own the issue? Won't you think twice from now on to install a new app from store? This sent a msg that windows mobiles are vulnerable even by some new entry apps. The sandboxing ain't working fine.
    12-25-2014 05:57 AM
212 ... 45678 ...