10-20-2016 02:48 AM
212 ... 56789
tools
    Sh.t can happen. But why MS didn't own the issue? Won't you think twice from now on to install a new app from store? This sent a msg that windows mobiles are vulnerable even by some new entry apps. The sandboxing ain't working fine.

That's utter bull****. Sandboxing is working perfectly fine. I've read about the power button issue and tried to reproduce it on my 1520. I fiddled with Glance settings, installed the Live Lockscreen Beta, installed TheChive and whatnot. My power button kept working. There is no API that overrides the default behavior of any button or could access the quick action toggles. It just can't be related to an app. Rather a weird combination of coincidences.
    12-25-2014 06:03 AM
    To many people got this problem so it can not be coincidence. (Even if it is not 100% proven it is thechive .,something defenitly happened.)

Did you read http://m.windowscentral.com/reports-...-phone-surface

There is a possible explanation which could explain this.

So no sandbox malfunction but the result has influence on the power button.

In the past there also was the upside down glance screen. So without breaching a sandbox unexpected things can happen.
    Last edited by Harrie-S; 12-25-2014 at 06:34 AM.
    12-25-2014 06:19 AM
    Sh.t can happen. But why MS didn't own the issue? Won't you think twice from now on to install a new app from store? This sent a msg that windows mobiles are vulnerable even by some new entry apps. The sandboxing ain't working fine.
    It's worse than you think. Yes, they may be jerks for not telling the story, but don't forget, there has been no updates to Windows (or firmware if this is just a Lumia thing) so the exposure is still there. Any new app or updated app could do the same thing, And it would be VERY naive to think the problems with TheChive are the worst that the bug would allow.

The ONLY valid reason to not publicize this is if its even more serious than we think and they are rushing to push out a Windows update to fix it in the next day or so. But that is unlikely for several reasons, not the least of which is carriers that block updates for many months while they "test" them.

I suspect MS is focusing on detecting and removing apps that trigger the Windows bug. Maybe its something they can scan for in apps which could catch 9x% of accidental triggers but I doubt they could catch intentional ones from someone who wants the trophy for the first WP8 Malware.

If MS can keep a lid on it until they can get Windows updates out to nearly all phones with the vulnerability, they may just pretend it didn't happen.

However bad the actual bug is, I hope MS doesn't make the mistake of a failed cover-up which hurts them worse than the actual thing they are trying to cover up.

It's not like MS doesn't know about the bug. They are just stupid for not issuing some kind of statement, even if its just "we are working on it." Its stupid because the press could have a field day with a cover up story.
    Sunil Patil2 likes this.
    12-25-2014 06:45 AM
    Rather a weird combination of coincidences.
    Somebody cut class the day they taught the definition of a "bug".
    12-25-2014 06:51 AM
    To many people got this problem so it can not be coincidence. (Even if it is not 100% proven it is thechive .,something defenitly happened.)

Did you read http://m.windowscentral.com/reports-...-phone-surface

There is a possible explanation which could explain this.

So no sandbox malfunction but the result has influence on the power button.

In the past there also was the upside down glance screen. So without breaching a sandbox unexpected things can happen.

Yeah, I've read that. But it's definitely not down to a single app, but a combination of several things. I suspect it's even a certain hardware affected by it. Whatever the reason is, it's unlikely that someone could exploit it on purpose, as there are too many factors involved in order to kick off this buggy behavior.
    And unlike other conspiracy theorists over here, I don't suspect a strong vulnerability behind it, just because Microsoft doesn't go all public about it. It's some minor bug, occurring on a minority of devices and will most definitely be addressed in one of the next firmware updates or hotfixes.
    12-25-2014 06:57 AM
    Totally agree dKp1977. It is more an accident of some kind than a exploid.
    (that is what I wanted to point out)

For the conspiracy believers. It also can be North Korea or the NSA
    Sunil Patil2 likes this.
    12-25-2014 07:06 AM
    @HoosierDad, yes I agree with u. MS definitely should check what was wrong with apps like "theChives", "5 minute home workout" etc. I personally have shared logs to MS, lets hope any such vulnerabilities will be fixed.
    @dKp1977, I don't know which app you have tested. Because both the apps which were root cause for this issue are no more available in store, and thr r other apps with same name but no bug. As you r not a victim of such bug, I don't buy your "coincidence" theory. Also its not a minor bug, it corrupted thousands of windows phones. If you scan across this post, you can see 925,930,1020,1320,1520,630, etc affected. These are not small set of devices, but flagship devices of MS.
    WP8fan likes this.
    12-25-2014 10:45 AM
    And unlike other conspiracy theorists over here,
    For the conspiracy believers. It also can be North Korea or the NSA
    Looks like several people cut class the day they taught the definition of conspiracy theory.
    12-25-2014 11:14 AM
    @HoosierDad, yes I agree with u. MS definitely should check what was wrong with apps like "theChives", "5 minute home workout" etc. I personally have shared logs to MS, lets hope any such vulnerabilities will be fixed.
    @dKp1977, I don't know which app you have tested. Because both the apps which were root cause for this issue are no more available in store, and thr r other apps with same name but no bug. As you r not a victim of such bug, I don't buy your "coincidence" theory. Also its not a minor bug, it corrupted thousands of windows phones. If you scan across this post, you can see 925,930,1020,1320,1520,630, etc affected. These are not small set of devices, but flagship devices of MS.
    I've tested every single combination that had been suspected to be the root cause of the issue. Btw, neither 925, nor 1320 or 630 are flagship devices. 925 could be considered one, but out of the bunch you mentioned it's only down to the 930, 1020 and 1520. I own the latter and wasn't able to reproduce the issue. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, all I'm saying is that 1) it's nothing critical and 2) it's definitely not being caused by a single app, but rather by a combination of multiple factors.
    12-25-2014 11:39 AM
    all I'm saying is that 1) it's nothing critical and 2) it's definitely not being caused by a single app, but rather by a combination of multiple factors.
    1. I don't know how did you test when the app theChives(by resignation team) and "5 minute home workout" is Removed from store.
    2. For me, I installed only "5 minutes..." app and nothing else, so there was no combination of multiple factors. If u drill through the posts in this thread , u can find different ways the phones got infected.
    3. You cannot judge it as a small bug, because many ppl cud not backup properly due to this bug and lost many valuable info, documents, apps after hard reset. Plus the time for backup-hard reset - restore.
    12-25-2014 12:51 PM
    1. I don't know how did you test when the app theChives(by resignation team) and "5 minute home workout" is Removed from store.
    2. For me, I installed only "5 minutes..." app and nothing else, so there was no combination of multiple factors. If u drill through the posts in this thread , u can find different ways the phones got infected.
    3. You cannot judge it as a small bug, because many ppl cud not backup properly due to this bug and lost many valuable info, documents, apps after hard reset. Plus the time for backup-hard reset - restore.
    I already had the app installed before all this started. If the issue was caused by TheChive and no other factor involved, then it would've affected every single user who had it installed and used at least once. Fact is, it didn't. So there goes your theory.
    That people decided to perform a hard reset and had to deal with how backup and restore works (or not), was their very own decision. It's not like the phone rebooted into factory state all on its own. Backup and restore may have improved since the old Windows Phone 7 days, but compared to the competition, it's still lacking ages behind. 8 times out of 10 it fails. It either simply quits by saying it can't perform a backup, or it says it can't restore a backup, without even giving a reason. Or it just partly restores a backup. I've barely ever seen it working perfectly fine. And I'm surrounded by multiple Windows Phone devices here. Not to mention that I started using it pretty much on day one.
    Back to topic, TheChive may be one puzzle piece in this mystery, but it's just one and not the very culprit as people around here want to make us believe.
    12-25-2014 12:59 PM
    Same thing with my 1520 (not denim, using the developer preview version)
    12-30-2014 01:49 PM
    I have exactly the same problems, I installed "TheChive" app and all those crazy things happened to me, power button does work, screen brightness is crazy and stuck on low, I have many lags, my battery quickly discharges, My phone is Lumia 520 so it's definitly not for Glance because I can't have Glance app.

It's 100% "TheChieve" app.
    It's driving me crazy!

Since I didn't find any way to post a bug report, I created a thread in ( answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpupdate/unresponsive-lock-button-system-lags-brightness/8e2fe619-5f65-4bee-a8d7-ab3a52f5d180?tm=1419173257657 ) microsoft answers community (Ohhhh god, the forum does not allow me to post Links :-|, u need to copy-paste the address)
    Everyone who has this problem please go to that thread and make it super active so we can receive a fix as soon as possible.

Here's a tiny url for that:

Unresponsive lock button, system lags, brightness issues, suspecting - Microsoft Community

Yeah, I want MS to fix this WITHOUT needing a hard reset.

I can unlock my phone. I use these steps:

Plug in the charger (or unplug it) - wakes screen - swipe up to unlock.
    12-30-2014 01:51 PM
    i had the same issue with my l1520, my moms l730 and my sisters l1320 ! Power button not working and brightness toggle stuck on medium ! freezing and . .

it was the Gestures Beta app ! i deleted it and after a soft reset they all went back to normal !

give it a try !

i know its a little soon but Happy New Year everyone !
    12-30-2014 02:31 PM
    there is a response that microsoft is working on it in another thread. as i'm new here i can't post the link...

i can pm the link to someone for posting it here
    Sunil Patil2 likes this.
    12-31-2014 07:40 AM
    This worked for me : Turn of automatically set time and date => soft reset => wait for it to start up, then go into settings again and manually enter time and date.
    For some reason after the soft reset my date and time went to November 24 9:37 AM
    Hope this helps everyone while MS fixes this
    12-31-2014 02:24 PM
    Damnit, I'm on 920 and USED theChive for the first time today. I don't have gestures beta nor do I have 5 minute workout. So I solely blame it on theChive. The time change didn't work for me shylent. How upsetting.

Everything was working fine before that. I even KNEW and read the article about theChive thing, but I went on it just for funsies today, only to discover that the problem still persisted. Now I can't lock or unlock but if I hold the power button down, I can shut down. Bleh. Hope there is a fix soon. Not even hard resetting worked
    Last edited by slickxsparkie; 12-31-2014 at 10:32 PM.
    12-31-2014 10:14 PM
    This worked for me : Turn of automatically set time and date => soft reset => wait for it to start up, then go into settings again and manually enter time and date.
    For some reason after the soft reset my date and time went to November 24 9:37 AM
    Hope this helps everyone while MS fixes this
    HOLY SH!T THANK YOU!!! This actually worked for me! At first it didn't revert the time and date to November 24 9:37 AM, so I did that manually. Then I did your steps and it fixed my phone!!! Power button works, notifications are working again, store works again (couldn't update or download anything while this problem persisted), now it all works!

Thank you again!!! My 1520 is back to full strength now!
    01-01-2015 06:03 AM
    HOLY SH!T THANK YOU!!! This actually worked for me! At first it didn't revert the time and date to November 24 9:37 AM, so I did that manually. Then I did your steps and it fixed my phone!!! Power button works, notifications are working again, store works again (couldn't update or download anything while this problem persisted), now it all works!

Thank you again!!! My 1520 is back to full strength now!
    If you do a soft reset, mobile will behave normally for few hours and after some time issue will resume. I don't think this has got to do something wrt date settings. Update the status after a day.
    01-01-2015 06:49 AM
    My problem came back after a few hours but repeating the steps would fix it again for another few hours.
    Last edited by shylent; 01-01-2015 at 12:00 PM.
    01-01-2015 11:20 AM
    If you do a soft reset, mobile will behave normally for few hours and after some time issue will resume. I don't think this has got to do something wrt date settings. Update the status after a day.
    You're correct. It resurfaced. I'm going to try it again, hopefully we'll get a fix soon.

But I was so happy to get my 40+ app updates to go through with the temporary fix, lol.
    01-01-2015 01:25 PM
    Not sure if reception has anything to do with also because earlier when I was in a no signal area, the problem came back and I couldn't get rid of it. The only thing that kept the lock button working then was a soft reset and changing the year to anything other than 2015. Just to confirm this i would change the year back to 2015 and immediately the lock button would stop working without even doing a reset.
    01-01-2015 02:38 PM
    *Update* I think the bug or whatever that was is now gone 😊
    A few minutes after my last post I managed to manually enter the correct time and date and didn't have any problems over night. Today I set my phone to auto update time and date and the problem has not come back, so I believe I can say it's finally gone now.
    01-02-2015 10:49 AM
    I unfortunately bit the bullet and did a factory reset. Everything works fine, but my game saves for emulators are gone 😭 and I had to sign into everything again....
    01-02-2015 11:21 AM
    there is a response that microsoft is working on it in another thread. as i'm new here i can't post the link...

i can pm the link to someone for posting it here
    This is one link I got it , where I can see some reply from MS. Thanks Krokodilrotze for sharing.

theChive app bug fix - Microsoft Community
    01-02-2015 01:17 PM
212 ... 56789