Power button won't lock phone

cporta

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Had the app installed again for a few hours and no issues at all. I did a hard reset and restored a backup with no problems. Reinstalled the chive app this morning and everything runs well.

I'm leaning toward a coincidence here. Everyone needs to keep calm and chive on here. It's still possible the app is bugged, but so far I'm not seeing it.

I'll keep reporting back to let you know.

ATT 1520 with dev preview 8.1 cyan.

a y a n

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
Had exactly the same problem, but i have never installed theChive. I have recently installed 5 minute workout, Navmii (a navigation app), a glance update, and the gestures beta. Suddenly the power button went unresponsive. Long-press would shut down, but then the phone immediately powered up again. I thought gestures could be causing this, because it is a system app with elevated privileges (it even required a reboot after installing). I decided to uninstall, but after that my 830 completely freaked out, lots of functions stopped responding or simply disappeared. I finally had to hard-reset and restore from backup. This is the first time i have experienced such a destructive issue, after years of using windows phone.

Last edited:

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Here's what I plan to test, since I have some devices to test with... Gestures Beta, Extras+Info, 5 Minute Workout, and TheChive.

I'll hard reset one device. Install 5 Minute and test, and TheChive and test (separately). Then if I can't reproduce the issue, I will install Extras and Gestures to see if I can reproduce. My assumption is that Chive and 5 Minutes will trigger the glitch without having Gestures or Extras updates installed.

UPDATE: Just recorded a video demonstration of the issue as it was caused by TheChive. I'm uploading and will post a link shortly.

Last edited:

Flat Tire

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
I don't have Gestures Beta installed and I'm still getting the bad behavior.

Fresh reset on a 620 (aka "The Guinea Pig"):

1) Installed Chive = doesn't exhibit the problem
2) Did a soft reset = doesn't exhibit the problem.
3) Uninstalled Chive = still no problem
4) Re-installed Chive, this time loaded app = still no problems
5) Did a soft reset = I can power down once at startup, after that it's fubar city. (**edit ** actually seems time related, I can power off a few times if I do it quickly enough, after that it locks)
6) Uninstalled Chive, did a soft reset = doesn't fix the problem (wi-fi seems to take forever to connect; I get "No Sim Card" errors until the wi-fi finally connects)

So I only get the problem when I:
a) install Chive
b) load the app once
c) soft reset

I noticed something different during the install process:

1) Downloading...
2) Progress gets about half way across and then it locks up for about 30 seconds
3) Instead of "Installing", I get a "Restoring data..." followed by a "Finalizing"

Don't know if that's normal or not.

Last edited:

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I noticed that too, and I've never seen that Restoring Data bit before, but it could just be that most apps are very quick and we don't usually see it.

Thangaul

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Ok this worked for me. I hadn't installed TheChive but I did install 5 minute home workout app 2 days back. I opened the app for the first time today and it started exhibiting these issues. After reading all the posts of similar issues this is what I did.

Uninstall app + soft reset. Now things are working normal. Keeping fingers crossed that it stays this way.

Flat Tire

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
Ok this worked for me. I hadn't installed TheChive but I did install 5 minute home workout app 2 days back. I opened the app for the first time today and it started exhibiting these issues. After reading all the posts of similar issues this is what I did.

Uninstall app + soft reset. Now things are working normal. Keeping fingers crossed that it stays this way.

Which phone?

Sunil Patil2

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site

After few hours, you will post again saying the issue reoccured. :|

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, this was a very short and simple test to prove the issue:

I have a Lumia 635 that is running stock OS... not dev preview (both my 1020 and 1520.3 running dev preview behaved identically, however, for sake of notation). This 635 does NOT have the Gestures Beta and it is running the old Extras+Info not the update from yesterday as evidenced by these screenshots (note Extra+Info is not at bottom of list from update too):

wp_ss_20141220_0001.png
wp_ss_20141220_0002.png
wp_ss_20141220_0003.png

Booted phone.
Installed TheChive app.
Launched app... and began using for a few minutes, including navigation... not just the homepage. In this case I looked at the Best Photos of the Week gallery. The bug seemed to be triggered when I got to an animated GIF image (it's the Chive, so use your imagination).
Phone began to exhibit the symptoms of not powering on. (Seen in video)
Rebooted... issue gone, so uninstalled, and rebooted again. (Seen in video)

VIDEO: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=1D1CDFF85E429085&id=1D1CDFF85E429085!307809&v=3

I could not test 5 Minute Workouts, as it appears the app has been pulled. Since the video demonstrates the issue without Gestures or Extras, the question now remains-- what's the root cause of this behavior if apps aren't supposed to have this kind of effect and yet two apps are causing this?

Again, my hunch tells me it's some sort of power management thing-- ie. the "keep awake" function of a media player-- but not being a dev it's hard to know for sure unless they tell us.

PS-- You'll have to click the link to see the video since the forums don't embed OneDrive videos and I refuse to use YouTube.

Last edited:

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
After few hours, you will post again saying the issue reoccured. :|

I have no idea what apps you have installed, but if you have either 5 Minute Workout or TheChive installed, remove, power off to reboot, and the issue will be gone unless you're extremely unlucky to have discovered another buggy app.

I've now tested on a 635, 1020, and 1520, and can ONLY reproduce the issue using TheChive.

Sunil Patil2

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
I have no idea what apps you have installed, but if you have either 5 Minute Workout or TheChive installed, remove, power off to reboot, and the issue will be gone unless you're extremely unlucky to have discovered another buggy app.

I've now tested on a 635, 1020, and 1520, and can ONLY reproduce the issue using TheChive.
You can only reproduce the issue with the chive, but not with "5 minute home workout", as this app is removed from s
tore. I had installed only latter and I have tried all possible ways to recover my phone apart from doing a hard reset.
Soft reset may work with chives, but I don't think it will work for other, as I have done soft resets for at least 5 times since 3 days with different test scenarios.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
You can only reproduce the issue with the chive, but not with "5 minute home workout", as this app is removed from s
tore. I had installed only latter and I have tried all possible ways to recover my phone apart from doing a hard reset.
Soft reset may work with chives, but I don't think it will work for other, as I have done soft resets for at least 5 times since 3 days with different test scenarios.

Well, as I have said, if the workout app has caused this too, I'd say there's a pretty good reason for pulling it... don't you agree? ;)

My point, again, is don't hard reset unless the simple things aren't working... even then, uninstall the apps, take a backup first, and then hard reset.

Sunil Patil2

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Agreed with you, GoodThings2Life.
I have not tried hard reset, as I consider this as a last option. These are the things I am doing currently:
1. Taking the log of infected functions and sending to MS.
2. Using power charger to unlock, till the issue is fixed or trying soft reset once a day :p
3. Waiting for denim update for another 3-4 days, which may eventually save me from a hard reset and put things in place.
4. Waiting for MS to respond to this, and release a fix.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
You have fun with that, lol... I'm puzzled that you assume it's a Microsoft issue in the first place or that Denim would fix it (which won't be a few days).

Even if it's an OS issue, it'll take them at least a month to find, fix, test, and release an update. Moreover, the devs could just fix their app.

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Well, after reading the new comments since last night it almost seems like certain apps may trigger something in glance or gestures. Some have had it happen with one app some with another. I've never installed the 5 minute workout app, but got this problem after the chive app. Some vice versa. And it seems strange that for a few a soft reset fixes the problem, but for the rest it required a hard reset.

This unfortunately, keeps us stuck without a definitive answer. I guess just avoid both apps for now. I still haven't hard reset (my Spiderman Unlimited progress is holding me back from it, lol), but may have no choice.

Another weird thing I've noticed is that sometimes my IE will randomly pop up and go to YouTube on its own!?! Usually specific videos too. Very strange.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, after reading the new comments since last night it almost seems like certain apps may trigger something in glance or gestures. Some have had it happen with one app some with another. I've never installed the 5 minute workout app, but got this problem after the chive app. Some vice versa. And it seems strange that for a few a soft reset fixes the problem, but for the rest it required a hard reset.

This unfortunately, keeps us stuck without a definitive answer. I guess just avoid both apps for now. I still haven't hard reset (my Spiderman Unlimited progress is holding me back from it, lol), but may have no choice.

Another weird thing I've noticed is that sometimes my IE will randomly pop up and go to YouTube on its own!?! Usually specific videos too. Very strange.

I'm not saying there are NO issues with the gestures beta... It's a beta, so of course there could be, but THIS particular issue is NOT related. See my post above that I can reproduce on a system without the gestures beta.

Stuperior

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
I never installed Chive (whatever that is) so like others have said its not down to that. I had also installed the gestures beta, the glance update and 5 minute workout. However they were all a good few hours (or even a day or so) before my problems started. However, I think I did uninstall the 5 minute workout shortly before the problems started after launching it just once. My personal view is that its down to 1 of these 3 "culprits". Am sure if everyone comments what they had installed then we can work out the fault.
I would just add though that after a hard reset and re-updating with dev preview and the latest glance, that my L925 is all fine. So my finger points towards Gestures or 5 min workout.....

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I never installed Chive (whatever that is) so like others have said its not down to that. I had also installed the gestures beta, the glance update and 5 minute workout. However they were all a good few hours (or even a day or so) before my problems started. However, I think I did uninstall the 5 minute workout shortly before the problems started after launching it just once. My personal view is that its down to 1 of these 3 "culprits". Am sure if everyone comments what they had installed then we can work out the fault.
I would just add though that after a hard reset and re-updating with dev preview and the latest glance, that my L925 is all fine. So my finger points towards Gestures or 5 min workout.....
It can't be the 5 minute workout as I've never downloaded that app, so we can confidently rule that out as well. Must be something to do with glance.

jamie johnston

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
It's nothing to do with glance!! I had the same problems on a lumia 930 (which doesn't even support glance) it is absolutely 5 minute workout (removed from store) and the chive. I had to perform hard resets after installing both of those apps. soft resets do not work (well it does for maybe an hour, but the same problems return). For me, and unfortunately many others, hard reset is the ONLY solution!

David Inglis

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 925 DP latest update, no workout or gestures ever installed. Glance updated and tested but not currently enabled. Installed Chive yesterday and now have the power button problem and on some reboots no sim. Soft resets not working. Downloading Chive keeps failing as I wondered if installing and removing may help...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077