Power button won't lock phone

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
1. I don't know how did you test when the app theChives(by resignation team) and "5 minute home workout" is Removed from store.
2. For me, I installed only "5 minutes..." app and nothing else, so there was no combination of multiple factors. If u drill through the posts in this thread , u can find different ways the phones got infected.
3. You cannot judge it as a small bug, because many ppl cud not backup properly due to this bug and lost many valuable info, documents, apps after hard reset. Plus the time for backup-hard reset - restore.

I already had the app installed before all this started. If the issue was caused by TheChive and no other factor involved, then it would've affected every single user who had it installed and used at least once. Fact is, it didn't. So there goes your theory.
That people decided to perform a hard reset and had to deal with how backup and restore works (or not), was their very own decision. It's not like the phone rebooted into factory state all on its own. Backup and restore may have improved since the old Windows Phone 7 days, but compared to the competition, it's still lacking ages behind. 8 times out of 10 it fails. It either simply quits by saying it can't perform a backup, or it says it can't restore a backup, without even giving a reason. Or it just partly restores a backup. I've barely ever seen it working perfectly fine. And I'm surrounded by multiple Windows Phone devices here. Not to mention that I started using it pretty much on day one.
Back to topic, TheChive may be one puzzle piece in this mystery, but it's just one and not the very culprit as people around here want to make us believe.

Purge_GT

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have exactly the same problems, I installed "TheChive" app and all those crazy things happened to me, power button does work, screen brightness is crazy and stuck on low, I have many lags, my battery quickly discharges, My phone is Lumia 520 so it's definitly not for Glance because I can't have Glance app.

It's 100% "TheChieve" app.
It's driving me crazy!

Since I didn't find any way to post a bug report, I created a thread in ( answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpupdate/unresponsive-lock-button-system-lags-brightness/8e2fe619-5f65-4bee-a8d7-ab3a52f5d180?tm=1419173257657 ) microsoft answers community (Ohhhh god, the forum does not allow me to post Links :-|, u need to copy-paste the address)
Everyone who has this problem please go to that thread and make it super active so we can receive a fix as soon as possible.

Here's a tiny url for that:

Unresponsive lock button, system lags, brightness issues, suspecting - Microsoft Community

Yeah, I want MS to fix this WITHOUT needing a hard reset.

I can unlock my phone. I use these steps:

Plug in the charger (or unplug it) - wakes screen - swipe up to unlock.

Dariush021

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
i had the same issue with my l1520, my moms l730 and my sisters l1320 ! Power button not working and brightness toggle stuck on medium ! freezing and . .

it was the Gestures Beta app ! i deleted it and after a soft reset they all went back to normal !

give it a try !

i know its a little soon but Happy New Year everyone !

Krokodilrotze

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
there is a response that microsoft is working on it in another thread. as i'm new here i can't post the link...

i can pm the link to someone for posting it here

shylent

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
This worked for me :smile: : Turn of automatically set time and date => soft reset => wait for it to start up, then go into settings again and manually enter time and date.
For some reason after the soft reset my date and time went to November 24 9:37 AM
Hope this helps everyone while MS fixes this

slickxsparkie

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Damnit, I'm on 920 and USED theChive for the first time today. I don't have gestures beta nor do I have 5 minute workout. So I solely blame it on theChive. The time change didn't work for me shylent. How upsetting.

Everything was working fine before that. I even KNEW and read the article about theChive thing, but I went on it just for funsies today, only to discover that the problem still persisted. Now I can't lock or unlock but if I hold the power button down, I can shut down. Bleh. Hope there is a fix soon. Not even hard resetting worked

Last edited:

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
This worked for me :smile: : Turn of automatically set time and date => soft reset => wait for it to start up, then go into settings again and manually enter time and date.
For some reason after the soft reset my date and time went to November 24 9:37 AM
Hope this helps everyone while MS fixes this

HOLY SH!T THANK YOU!!! This actually worked for me! At first it didn't revert the time and date to November 24 9:37 AM, so I did that manually. Then I did your steps and it fixed my phone!!! Power button works, notifications are working again, store works again (couldn't update or download anything while this problem persisted), now it all works!

Thank you again!!! My 1520 is back to full strength now!

Sunil Patil2

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
HOLY SH!T THANK YOU!!! This actually worked for me! At first it didn't revert the time and date to November 24 9:37 AM, so I did that manually. Then I did your steps and it fixed my phone!!! Power button works, notifications are working again, store works again (couldn't update or download anything while this problem persisted), now it all works!

Thank you again!!! My 1520 is back to full strength now!

If you do a soft reset, mobile will behave normally for few hours and after some time issue will resume. I don't think this has got to do something wrt date settings. Update the status after a day.

shylent

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
My problem came back after a few hours but repeating the steps would fix it again for another few hours.

Last edited:

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
If you do a soft reset, mobile will behave normally for few hours and after some time issue will resume. I don't think this has got to do something wrt date settings. Update the status after a day.

You're correct. It resurfaced. I'm going to try it again, hopefully we'll get a fix soon.

But I was so happy to get my 40+ app updates to go through with the temporary fix, lol.

shylent

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if reception has anything to do with also because earlier when I was in a no signal area, the problem came back and I couldn't get rid of it. The only thing that kept the lock button working then was a soft reset and changing the year to anything other than 2015. Just to confirm this i would change the year back to 2015 and immediately the lock button would stop working without even doing a reset.

shylent

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
*Update* I think the bug or whatever that was is now gone 😊
A few minutes after my last post I managed to manually enter the correct time and date and didn't have any problems over night. Today I set my phone to auto update time and date and the problem has not come back, so I believe I can say it's finally gone now.

slickxsparkie

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I unfortunately bit the bullet and did a factory reset. Everything works fine, but my game saves for emulators are gone 😭 and I had to sign into everything again....

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I love how I posted a freaking video that proved the issue and the source of the issue and the fix and yet a lot of you are still bickering about it like it's some sort of weird, impossible thing.

Do I know how/why theChive accomplished it? Nope. But as I said originally, it's probably a glitch in the OS that theChive happened to surface. Just like how Brandon Paddock discovered a bug in app launch times with Tweetium and had to wait for MS to issue a DP update to fix it.

Why is it so inconceivable that an app developer triggered a bug?

Also, since uninstalling that app, I've had ZERO issues recur. I do have Gestures beta and updated Extras+Info and updated Glance on my Lumia 1520, and no issues. No hard reset. Just uninstall THEN reboot by power down (not Power+Volume reboot). Done.

Stuperior

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Just remember several people like myself, have posted to say we never installed Chive, ever. I'm now thinking there was 2 faulty apps that came out at about the same time....

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Just remember several people like myself, have posted to say we never installed Chive, ever. I'm now thinking there was 2 faulty apps that came out at about the same time....

I know that five minute workout app was supposedly a problem, but it was pulled before I could test it.

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Also, since uninstalling that app, I've had ZERO issues recur. I do have Gestures beta and updated Extras+Info and updated Glance on my Lumia 1520, and no issues. No hard reset. Just uninstall THEN reboot by power down (not Power+Volume reboot). Done.
I just wish I had your luck, really I do. I have this bug still. I've tried exactly what you said, actually the first thing I did, and still have these same problems. But it obviously isn't something that will work for all phones in this situation. Hoping that if we ever get denim it might fix it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99