12-24-2014 07:47 AM
38 12
tools
    Gel Case + Tempered Glass Screen Protector. My protection arrived before my phone did.

Dropped twice. Once I don't quite remember how it landed, I think it was on edge from about two feet onto a table? The other was flat, belly flop style, right onto the screen from waist high onto a hard tiled floor. Made everyone turn and look in a crowded public space. Made my stomach hurt to hear it.

# of scratches on device = 0
    # of cracks on screen = 0
    # of defects on TG screen protector = 0
    dozer167a, rhapdog and xandros9 like this.
    12-23-2014 10:02 AM
    Yeah, hence my question re: Am I just unlucky. Seems confirmed I am not unlucky and indeed this is "normal" for the 1520. Oh well.
    I agree it might not be a matter of luck. There are other reasons phones are dropped.

And it might be more likely to damage a 1520 than a 920.

But that isn't a deal breaker for most people. I've never dropped a phone in my life, so don't worry too much about what will happen if one I buy gets dropped. Obviously it can happen but for me it's somewhere between getting hit by lightning and having someone nail me running a stop sign. Not much of a concern. But if likelihood of dropping a phone is between forgetting a birthday and the sun coming up (save the Copernicus jokes) a 1520 might not be the best choice.
    12-23-2014 10:26 AM
    Okay, so consensus is expect the phone to shatter when dropped from waist height? If so, then yea I will move to a different phone. No way in hell a 635, 920, Samsung ativ odyessy, 822, etc would be shattering from those heights. I know because after using cell phones for the past 10 years of my life this is the first one to ever break once, let alone twice. Guess I got lucky for 10 years straight and this is normal now. I still have a couple 920s so ill resurrect those until a 1520 replacement comes out. Not worth the $220 replacement bill twice on a $450 phone. That answers my question anyway.
    It's luck.

All it takes is for the edge or corner of the screen to take enough force.

You may have dropped phones before, but not all drops are equal. If it doesn't hit the right part then you just get scratches. If it lands wrong you get broken glass.

A bigger phone will have bigger surface area. Therefore, you have a higher chance of not being lucky.

​It's not the phone that's the problem. It's dropping it that's the problem.

If you refuse to get a case but want a big phone with a big screen, then you should know that you have a decent risk of that screen breaking with a drop.
    rhapdog likes this.
    12-23-2014 10:31 AM
    Yeah, hence my question re: Am I just unlucky. Seems confirmed I am not unlucky and indeed this is "normal" for the 1520. Oh well.
    It's "normal" for anything with a large screen.

It's even normal for something like a 920. You just have a better chance of being lucky because of less surface area.
    12-23-2014 10:35 AM
    Okay, thanks for the weigh in guys.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    12-23-2014 10:44 AM
    I have dropped my phone quite a lot since I bought it and I haven't had a single crack on my screen. I use a case as well and it is a transparent one because I like the aesthetic design and colour of my phone. Perhaps you can try the same as me.
    12-23-2014 10:55 AM
    Gel Case + Tempered Glass Screen Protector. My protection arrived before my phone did.

Dropped twice. Once I don't quite remember how it landed, I think it was on edge from about two feet onto a table? The other was flat, belly flop style, right onto the screen from waist high onto a hard tiled floor. Made everyone turn and look in a crowded public space. Made my stomach hurt to hear it.

# of scratches on device = 0
    # of cracks on screen = 0
    # of defects on TG screen protector = 0
    Yeah, I did the Gel+Hard plastic dual layer case with the Tempered Glass screen protector. Dropped the phone dozens of times on a variety of surfaces, never on purpose. It seems to have hit in just about every position imaginable. No damage to any parts of the phone, case, or screen protector so far.

Something to consider, if you don't want to get a case, and I understand a large device like a 1520 a case will make it even larger and that much more difficult to wield, at least get a good quality tempered glass screen protector. If the screen breaks, then you can usually just peel off the screen protector and the screen underneath is untouched. I keep a spare tempered glass screen protector in my desk drawer just in case. I have a spare device arriving today for my backup, just in case. Why? Because I'm paranoid, and I know if something happens to my phone, I need to keep working. I keep data backed up to OneDrive AND to my laptop regularly. I recommend the same to everyone I know.
    etad putta and RumoredNow like this.
    12-23-2014 10:57 AM
    As long as someone brought up the Tempered glass screen protectors, what are the the thoughts on those? Will they absorb and break before the phones screen?
    12-23-2014 11:23 AM
    As long as someone brought up the Tempered glass screen protectors, what are the the thoughts on those? Will they absorb and break before the phones screen?
    That is the reputation and there are a lot of videos on teh Utubez to show it does work...

Will it work 100%? IDK

I do know it probably saved my screen in the above case (since the glass is in effect 2X thickness). When my wife's Note 2 slid in between the cushion on the couch and the arm and got sat on, it saved her screen at the expense of a crack on the TG protector.
    rhapdog likes this.
    12-23-2014 12:03 PM
    I agree tempered glass is the way to go. My friends have it on the iPhone and it saves the screen without a doubt. On the 1520 though since the screen is curved, it doesn't bond to the edge and it looks like ****. Same generally issue I have with adding a case to such a beautiful phone. I'll revert to the 920 until something else comes along or try for a 930 since they have metal all the way around the edge.
    RumoredNow and rhapdog like this.
    12-23-2014 12:10 PM
    A standardized drop test for a object such as a phone involves dropping it 6 times from a height of 1.5m. Depending on which face/corner of the cube it is dropped can determine what breaks in which drop. Both your drops could have landed the phone in a manner that would cause the glass to break. Also size does matter!
    12-23-2014 03:22 PM
    I'm sure that it won't protect in absolutely every case, however, it does have basically the same effect as people boarding up windows when a hurricane/typhoon is coming (or when expecting a riot.) It adds enough protection to make it considerably less likely for the screen to break.
    12-24-2014 07:11 AM
    Although I've been lucky/careful enough to never drop a phone, I'd use a lanyard if phones came with a tab like point and shoots for wrist strap or a threaded hole to screw one in. Better yet, a Travis Bickle device up the sleeve.
    12-24-2014 07:47 AM
38 12