1520 4K Video and Images - Hardware or Software driven?

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
As the title states, I have been trying to find information on the 4K capabilities that Denim brings. I have a 1520 and am really excited to try it out.

Question I have is, is this the capabilities of the phone hardware or is this just software manipulation to give us 4k like quality?

Source references would be appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Snapdragon 800 always had 4k capabilities it was not enabled so far in the case of 930/1520 and so they just update the software to enable the hardware feature which is already there.
Its similar to what Sony did with their Xperia Z1 which came with 1080p and had 4k enabled in an update after Z2 was launched.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the link, regardless of the fact the last comment was not necessary. I did state that I searched, but wasn't able to find anything definitive yet, If I would have known that reaching out the the community would cause comments like this, I would have refrained from asking for help on, well, help forums...

Snapdragon 800 always had 4k capabilities it was not enabled so far in the case of 930/1520 and so they just update the software to enable the hardware feature which is already there.
Its similar to what Sony did with their Xperia Z1 which came with 1080p and had 4k enabled in an update after Z2 was launched.

Thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Np, but don't expect it to be too good. In most cases u will find 1080p shooting a lot better than 4k and it also kills battery like crazy on androids.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Np, but don't expect it to be too good. In most cases u will find 1080p shooting a lot better than 4k and it also kills battery like crazy on androids.

I find it more of a novelty at the moment since I don't have any 4k displays to really see the full beauty, but the action shots and whatnot are something that would be fun to try.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I also see it as novelty. I think that the storage space you have is earlier occupied with the 4K video before the battery is empty. But to play with it is probable nice. I am waiting on the demin for mine 930.

princeegli

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Yea....but,having pics and video in 4k is best....even if you don't have a display yet.....when you do,we will be glad there stored in that format.....either backed up on a hard drive or what not

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I also see it as novelty. I think that the storage space you have is earlier occupied with the 4K video before the battery is empty. But to play with it is probable nice. I am waiting on the demin for mine 930.

I have a 128GB SD Card, however, I can see how that would seem small when starting to store 4k video. :( Battery life is going to be a pain, but luckily, the 1520's have a good sized battery, not sure about the 930 though.

Yea....but,having pics and video in 4k is best....even if you don't have a display yet.....when you do,we will be glad there stored in that format.....either backed up on a hard drive or what not

This makes me happy that I have unlimited OneDrive space now. :D

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
And of course you can use a power bank (external battery) to keep the recording going. Unlimited storage space is indeed good but also the transfer of a 4k video will take "some" time. But lets be happy that it is possible and lets play around with it.
I also think it will be nice to pick a frame out and store it as a picture so you "never" miss a moment.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with you on that. Taking a "Living Capture" and then selecting the frame(s) is awesome. I get to do that on my Nikon DSLR which is really cool when taking shots of the dogs at the dog park. You can get some really interesting shots when they are playing, and then realize it looks more like they are trying to eat each other when viewing certain frames out of context. :p

I picked up an external 5200Mh battery on sale at a local store (managed to get it for $9.99) that works great when I am out and about and using more battery than normal. I guess I may use it more now. :p Too bad it only outputs 1A, but it's better than nothing. :p

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
But you could have googled that by yourself

Thanks for the link, regardless of the fact the last comment was not necessary. I did state that I searched, but wasn't able to find anything definitive yet, If I would have known that reaching out the the community would cause comments like this, I would have refrained from asking for help on, well, help forums...
A 55 word off topic rant about an 8 word comment? [/My 11 OT words].

Sym3

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Funny thing is Z1 has still not received 4k update.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Maybe, think about it this way. If your talking video that you want to hold on to possibly forever (kids, family, etc) wouldn't you want it in the best format possible so it looks great today but, even 10 years later ?

As someone who really watches A/V trends, 4K will be replacing 1080p/2K, so odds are your next TV will be 4K, it would be best to take a video for today's standard as well as tomorrow. 4k/UTV appears to be that tomorrow standard.

What I would really wish I could see is 4K @ 60fps...now that would be epic..

Maybe I am wrong but, it's looking like that....

Just my 0.02...as I wait for Denim for my ICON/929...

dram30

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I flashed the Finland ROM on to my 1520 here in Canada just cause I'm going on vacation and it'd be nice to have the better camera stuff. I've tried the 4K out, it's neat but I think this generation of phones may not be suited to it. For one I store my videos to a 64GB MicroSD card. 4K eats through your space and it seems like there is some write latency, hiccups in the recording. Haven't tried storing straight to onboard storage as yet but I'm sure that'd be better. Problem is you would chew thru 32GB (20 available on mine) in no time. So until we have phones that come with tonnes storage or SD cards that have better than UHS-1 write speeds, 4K is a novelty on mobile phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss