Hi everyone,

I'm pondering whether I should manually upgrade to the Finland firmware for Denim. I'd appreciate any input on the following:

1) Does anyone have a sense of when the firmware updates will come to the US? I know there's no exact date, but I've heard of Denim rolling out in some territories without the firmware, and I think that's required for the camera improvements. If Denim is coming out soon, I'll wait, but if I knew it was coming out in, say, March, I'd go ahead.

2) I have the 1520.3, so I'm assuming (though without evidence) that I already have a foreign firmware. Which makes me think "Why not?" in regards to upgrading to the Finland firmware.

Thanks! Really excited about Denim! :-)
    ven07 likes this.
    12-22-2014 09:55 PM
    The Denim update will bring a lot of goodies to the 1520-line :) And as you stated the roll-out has begun, albeit somewhat too quietly, but for now we can be certain that most will get it this month or early 2015 (January) and since you have a 1520, I'm willing to say that you might get the update this month (Fingers crossed)
    RumoredNow likes this.
    12-22-2014 10:59 PM
    I flashed Finland Cyan firmware on my 1520 and updated to Denim. Everything went smooth. But before you try flashing, find out your product code and then search on the web to find the RM code of your device. Then make sure you are flashing firmware of correct RM model. The product code of my 1520 is 059V3R7 and the RM code is RM-937 so I flashed RM-937's Finland CV product code 059V281. Now everything on my phone works perfect.
    12-23-2014 12:48 AM
    DO NOT FLASH THE FINNISH ROM TO YOUR PHONE!
    The 1520.3 is the RM-938, and supports a certain set of radio frequencies.
    The RM-937 supports a certain different set of radio frequencies.

By flashing the Finnish RM-937 ROM to your RM-938, you will most definitely break the cell connectivity of your device, at least partially. And while you can always flash back to the correct firmware for your device, there is no guarantee that the radio baseband on your device be changed or reverted back.
    In short, I wouldn't take the risk to flash it. But you should be in the first wave of 1520s to get the denim update, probably way before me and my AT&T 1520.
    RumoredNow, James8561 and ven07 like this.
    12-23-2014 02:59 AM
    Question: When Denim and the GDR1 is available, is a hard reset recommended? I'm a new WP user (came from Android) and I'm still trying to figure out when Firmware or GDRs are available (i.e. upgrades), what type of resets you should conduct based on the upgrade (i.e. for GDRs: only a soft reset is recommended; for Firmware: Hard Reset is recommended)? Or is a hard reset recommended for any upgrade? I know when I had an Android phone, anytime you flashed a new ROM or Firmware, a Hard Reset was strongly recommended. Thanks for any input.

Cheers,
    Justin
    ven07 likes this.
    12-23-2014 10:03 AM
    I have done the manual upgrade on my RM-937. I can tell you it is not worth it if you are already running DP.
    12-23-2014 10:19 AM
    RM 937 = Lumia 1520. Using DEMIN is usefull because you get the camera improvement (4k video etc) and Hey Cortana (depends on regio). But if you do not need it then of course it is not usefull to do.
    So just wait for the Demin update.
    Last edited by Harrie-S; 12-23-2014 at 12:18 PM.
    12-23-2014 10:28 AM
    I agree with heywhitmarsh, just wait a few weeks and get it on your native Device/ROM.

Really? 4k and Hey Cortana is worth potentially screwing up your phones radios to play with? I say no.

Thanks
    RumoredNow and ven07 like this.
    12-23-2014 10:44 AM
    RM 937 = Lumia 1520. Using DEMIN is usefull because you get the camera improvement (4k video etc) and Hey Cortana (depends on regio). But if you do not need it then of course it is not usefull to do.
    RM 938 and RM 940 are also L1520's RM 938 being the most desired in North America
    12-23-2014 12:32 PM
    Question: When Denim and the GDR1 is available, is a hard reset recommended? I'm a new WP user (came from Android) and I'm still trying to figure out when Firmware or GDRs are available (i.e. upgrades), what type of resets you should conduct based on the upgrade (i.e. for GDRs: only a soft reset is recommended; for Firmware: Hard Reset is recommended)? Or is a hard reset recommended for any upgrade? I know when I had an Android phone, anytime you flashed a new ROM or Firmware, a Hard Reset was strongly recommended. Thanks for any input.

Cheers,
    Justin
    From my experience I would say it's not needed but I have done both. Things on this platform are very well sandboxed. If anything I'd trust having it as is or fully restored before proceeding. Some apps may require special attention or upgrading. Also, the updates tend to be iterative and not cumulative.
    weatheryoko likes this.
    12-23-2014 12:54 PM

Cheers,
    Justin
    This is Windows phone, not Lagdroid. No reset of any kind required for software upgrades.
    weatheryoko likes this.
    12-23-2014 12:54 PM
    Except if like me your Microsoft Account email, backups, and text message backups are screwed up, then it's hard reset and don't restore or the problem will come back. Waiting for the upgrade or Christmas whichever hits RM-938 aka Unicorn aka 1520.3 first so I'll have time to manually re-do everything.
    12-23-2014 01:56 PM

Cheers,
    Justin
    This isn't necessary :) Some still do it, because for them it smooths out the system :P
    weatheryoko likes this.
    12-23-2014 02:43 PM
    I agree with heywhitmarsh, just wait a few weeks and get it on your native Device/ROM.

Really? 4k and Hey Cortana is worth potentially screwing up your phones radios to play with? I say no.

Thanks
    Nice to see you're still here Talderon
    Talderon likes this.
    12-23-2014 02:43 PM
    Not here as much as I want to be, but I am lurking around the place a bit.

My new job and responsibilities are pretty demanding and this is the first time I have had enough time to breathe as be somewhat active again! :D
    ven07 and Muessig like this.
    12-23-2014 03:02 PM
    Not here as much as I want to be, but I am lurking around the place a bit.

My new job and responsibilities are pretty demanding and this is the first time I have had enough time to breathe as be somewhat active again! :D
    I have to admit, I do miss the "supervised leaks" :D Haha I would think that you would have even less time during the holidays
    Talderon likes this.
    12-23-2014 03:10 PM
    Except if like me your Microsoft Account email, backups, and text message backups are screwed up, then it's hard reset and don't restore or the problem will come back. Waiting for the upgrade or Christmas whichever hits RM-938 aka Unicorn aka 1520.3 first so I'll have time to manually re-do everything.
    Only problem I know of is the text message backup bug that prevents account syncing from working. Bug has been there since the first 8.0 release. But resetting doesn't fix that.
    12-23-2014 03:33 PM
    Only problem I know of is the text message backup bug that prevents account syncing from working. Bug has been there since the first 8.0 release. But resetting doesn't fix that.
    Thanks, I never did get the time to do that reset and yesterday all my emails started coming in again, will try a backup and hope it succeeds.
    01-06-2015 02:58 PM
    Speaking of Denim, what has happened to it? I'm patiently waiting for a US release on the 1520 but the rollout seems to have fizzled.
    01-07-2015 09:32 AM
    Can I get these all things on my Lumia 1520 Developer preview....
    01-07-2015 09:51 AM
    Can I get these all things on my Lumia 1520 Developer preview....
    Not until you get the Denim firmware
    01-07-2015 09:58 AM
    Not until you get the Denim firmware
    That's why am asking, Denim firmware update is available for Developer preview users ?....
    01-07-2015 10:09 AM
    Speaking of Denim, what has happened to it? I'm patiently waiting for a US release on the 1520 but the roll-out seems to have fizzled.
    I figured things would have kicked back up at the pace they were setting before the holidays, though I was hopeful that 1520.3 would get it for Christmas picture time. They seem to have just stopped :*(

If you won't build a decent flagship and the firmware for your old flagships has been done for months, release it! The market for $800 phones isn't as patient at that for sub $100 phones
    01-07-2015 11:46 AM
    You would think an unlocked phone like the 1520.3 would get the firmware early, but that wasn't the case with Cyan. The AT&T 1520 got it before the south American country variants came out for the 1520.3.
    01-08-2015 08:06 PM
    I figured things would have kicked back up at the pace they were setting before the holidays, though I was hopeful that 1520.3 would get it for Christmas picture time. They seem to have just stopped :*(

If you won't build a decent flagship and the firmware for your old flagships has been done for months, release it! The market for $800 phones isn't as patient at that for sub $100 phones
    Perhaps it's a delay from the holiday work schedules.
    01-09-2015 10:38 PM