Damaged Nokia 1520, Asurion wants to replace it with Samsung Galaxy?!

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I have had to file a claim in the past, but Ive never had them want to replace my phone with a different Operating System
[h=3](Samsung GXYALPHABLK)[/h]. Just seems really odd that theyd even suggest it. My screen is severely damaged.....again. I slipped on ice and dropped the phone unfortunately.

I am actually eligible for a discounted upgrade with ATT, but I don't really want to use it on the same device. I was hoping to save it for a newer phone but as we all know, we've been waiting for the next flagship for a while now. I don't even know what to do here.

Part of me thinks I should get the Galaxy, perhaps it will have a good resale value. I could keep the 1520, but it really is badly damaged, and I expect portions of the cracked glass to start falling out. You can also feel tiny shards of glass when you tough portions of the screen.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Doesnt give me an option. Ive never had any options before. They just give you what they give you but in the past, its either been the same phone or the same OS. Last time, they actually upgraded me from 920 to 1520.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Screen on the Samsung Alpha I think is smaller than 1520 and not as nice looking. Battery apparently sucks. I dont know what the resale value is though. Camera is a downgrade too.

I wouldn't mind having to use it for a while but lord only know when the hell there will be a next gen WP for ATT

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
My wife cracked her screen as well and they offered to replace her 1520 with an HTC One, she was ok with that, until they told her it was the Android version. She told them to get bent and kept her cracked screen 1520 and we cancelled the claim.

Well, now she has lost the phone, so we filed another claim. Fortunately, they had a Yellow 1520 on hand and they are shipping it to her now.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Screw it. Maybe ill just find a cheap screen protector thing and put that on in hopes that it holds it together long enough. I just hope a new high end phone comes out soon. They're taking too long

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Screw it. Maybe ill just find a cheap screen protector thing and put that on in hopes that it holds it together long enough. I just hope a new high end phone comes out soon. They're taking too long

Yeah, that may work, but don't hold your breath on a new flagship phone. It's been in the news that MS is not looking to release a new flagship phone until Sept 2015 which will coincide around the Windows Phone 10 launch.

Either way, I hate having to wait that long, but having a 1520 makes it worth waiting since it's still a top end Windows Phone and new firmware features are coming out for it. :D

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
You've been paying for insurance on your phone, don't just let yourself get screwed. They should either give you an exact replacement (maybe not exact color) or a full refund of the insurance if you effectively can't use it.

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
It has to be like for like. I had this trouble with O2 and a bad 930. They tried to fob me off with all kinds of rubbish, until they finally offered me my 1520 - Excellent!

Tell them no because the screen is too small, there's no MicroSD card slot, the display isn't 1080p, the battery life isn't good enough, and it's not running Windows. These are all reasons that you have the 1520, and you pay insurance, so you shouldn't be compromised. If you can leave Windows then they should be offering you a Note 4 or some other high end phablet.

Be calm and give them valid reasons for not wanting their choice of replacement, and explain the features you like on the 1520 that you should get on your replacement.

princeegli

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
They tried that crap with my brothers note 8...they wanted to send him the inferior tab 4....he will keep his note 8...and fix glass himself

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786