Screen replacement?

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Anyone here replace their 1520's screen? I got a warranty replacement a month ago and I've managed to drop it twice so far. Made it a year on the original without doing that.

I see just the digitizer screens on eBay for next to nothing. Not sure if the full LCD assembly should just be done instead if attempting the outer glass.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Based on what's been posted here - a full LCD assembly replacement would be in order, BUT, some people have had limited success with that - too easy to FUBAR something else.

Leave it to the pros, they've (hopefully) done one before & know what to stay away from.

In my case a Lumia 920, I took it to a repair shop to replace the digitizer, which had cracked ... long story, short, after about 5 weeks they wound up buying me a new Lumia 920. On their site, it said the Lumia 920 was ' ... one of their specialties ... ', afterward they said they'd only done one other. Issue was getting the digitizer to bond to the LCD assembly (heat caused it to separate), which screwed the PROX sensor. They totally FUBAR'd the phone (would NOT work at all). Make sure the shop is licensed & insured.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Based on what's been posted here - a full LCD assembly replacement would be in order, BUT, some people have had limited success with that - too easy to FUBAR something else.

Leave it to the pros, they've (hopefully) done one before & know what to stay away from.

In my case a Lumia 920, I took it to a repair shop to replace the digitizer, which had cracked ... long story, short, after about 5 weeks they wound up buying me a new Lumia 920. On their site, it said the Lumia 920 was ' ... one of their specialties ... ', afterward they said they'd only done one other. Issue was getting the digitizer to bond to the LCD assembly (heat caused it to separate), which screwed the PROX sensor. They totally FUBAR'd the phone (would NOT work at all). Make sure the shop is licensed & insured.

The 920 was actually one of the last Lumias to have a non bonded LCD and digitizer. It should have been simple to replace. For the 1520 you would want the entire assembly.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
The 920 was actually one of the last Lumias to have a non bonded LCD and digitizer. It should have been simple to replace. For the 1520 you would want the entire assembly.

AGREE, but they were trying to replace the digitizer w/o the appropriate bonding agent - heat defeated the glue they were using.

YES, for the LUMIA 1520 you want the complete LCD assembly, they are factory heat sealed - very difficult to re-join a digitizer to LCD assembly.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
AGREE, but they were trying to replace the digitizer w/o the appropriate bonding agent - heat defeated the glue they were using.

What does this mean? Were they trying to replace just the front glass, and save the digitizer that was glued to it? These are pretty easy replacements, when you buy an outer glass with a digitizer already glued to it. That part is like $16.

For a 1520, the whole assembly is required. I don't think it's too hard, but I'll know more later today. I'm replacing a camera in one today, which will give me an idea of how hard the whole LCD assembly would be.

Edit - I've changed the whole LCD assembly on about 6 Icons, and it's pretty easy. Also doing a complete LCD swap on a 1020 today as well, which also doesn't look too tough. I would think the 1520 wouldn't be any harder than an Icon or 1020.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It looks like it would be about $180 for the assembly for a DIY and the lowest cost online repair is about $210.

I see many cracked assemblies for sale too. Not sure why there is a market for this at $40-$50 but I wonder if that's what subsidizes the lower cost repair facilities?

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Some repair shops have the ability to remove the outer glass, and reuse the lcd. That's why there are cracked assemblies for sale. It's doable, but requires more effort than I care to put into it. On the 920's, I replace the outer glass. For all other models, I do the whole assembly. I have a box full of assemblies with broken outer glass, that I'll sell bulk some day.

If you buy one from ebay, I'd recommend a US seller, because it's easier to return if there is an issue. You'll pay a few bucks more, but it is worth it in terms of service.

Are the $210 numbers for an installed lcd? If so, the extra $30 may be worth it to you. You might need to make sure that includes shipping and insurance, or not, so you understand what the total cost is. Also - for that price, are you getting a new assembly, or just an outer screen? I'd wager the latter.

I had just the outer glass done for a couple of S3's from a guy on ebay, and he did a really good job. It was half the price of online repair places. You have to be careful though, and evaluate feedback carefully. On Galaxies, you can ruin the touch function with the glue process. Honestly don't know on Lumias, because I haven't done that repair.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

YES, for the LUMIA 1520 you want the complete LCD assembly, they are factory heat sealed - very difficult to re-join a digitizer to LCD assembly.

This is good advice. When mine was cracked it was only the top glass that was cracked, however my repair guy would only do it if I replaced the whole assembly. The way they are bonded at the factory makes anything less than the whole display almost impossible.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I changed only the glass/digitizer to my Lumia 920. Its a pita to take part, because like stated here the LCD is factory glued to the glass.

I had success with it and would do it again. You need heat to warm up the screen for softening the glue, so you can take it apart. I've seen people use a heat gun, and they say the best temp for it is to get it to 80 Celsius. I realized a better way to heat it, I stuck the screen in to a 100 degree oven, worked like a charm.

You should know, that those cheap screens on eBay most likely aren't real gorilla glass and good quality. I found a gorilla glass to the 920 from eTradesupply.

Good luck!

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Plus don't forget when you put the glass and digitized screen together it has to be done in a dust free environment. That's hard to do just with a screen protector let alone anything like this. I would let the shop do it. If they bugger it up then they will have to repair it again free or replace the phone

Last edited:

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
What? Putting the LCD together with the glass that has the digitizer on it (these cant be separated), you dont need any "dust free enviroment". Of course, you dont want to leave any crap in between, but just clean it out careufully and youl be fine.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
After everything is said - I believe the consensus (& prudent) decision would be to replace the complete LCD assembly for the Lumia 1520.

Any naysayers ?

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Will be much easier.

You can also try first to change only glass, if you don't succeed you only loose the money that you paid for the glass?

The process is the same, you need to take the device apart exactly the same. You only have the extra steps of separating the glass from the LCD and attaching it back on.

You could even buy it after you see was it separated properly and you believe the LCD still works.

The heat is the thing here. The glue comes of fairly easy (or its some sort of tape) when warmed up properly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo