Replaced screen assembly and proximity sensor not working

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
So, I replaced my full screen assembly after my phone took a nice drop on the pavement. However, I'm having a problem. The proximity sensor now doesn't work. I noticed it when I went to make a call and the screen went black immediately. Now I'm noticing the other impacts like peek mode not working with glance, etc. Anything that relies on the sensor. Ive double checked all of my work for disassembly and reassembly and all was fine. Finally, I put the old, cracked screen back together and the proximity sensor worked fine (for a sec I was thinking sensor had gone out). Has anyone else that's replaced the screen themselves experienced this problem?

Nahuel 1988

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I did have a similar issue back when I was working as a Technician for Rogers. I had to replace the front assembly on a HTC One M7. On the inside side on the glass, at the proximity sensor, the new part had a tape on it, very small one. I didn't realize it at first but when I started testing I realized the proximity sensor was in a "always on" kind of state. I'm not sure how's your device since its not mentioned, but check that out!

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Ive checked every square inch of the new assembly for tape, glue, etc. And there's nothing there. I'm at a loss as to the problem now. I'll be giving the folks I purchased the screen from a call in a little bit, just to see what they say.

Nahuel 1988

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Ive checked every square inch of the new assembly for tape, glue, etc. And there's nothing there. I'm at a loss as to the problem now. I'll be giving the folks I purchased the screen from a call in a little bit, just to see what they say.

Is it the same proximity sensor or this new assembly has a new one?

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Its the same one as the proximity sensor is actually attached to the motherboard. If it was different, I definitely would've chalked it up to being a hardware problem with the new part. Which I'm still thinking it is, just not sure how it could Ben since the LCD doesn't contain the sensor.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Is the full screen assembly an OEM part?.
Looks like the new assembly "blocks" the light which is needed for the proximity sensor to work.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
The place I ordered it from is repairsuniverse.com and they claim that all components are OEM as I asked about that before ordering and ensured it was new also. From what I can tell, it appears to be OEM as there are no variations in it from the assembly I replaced.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Strange. I hope you find out what it is and let us know.
Actual I am just looking to my proximity sensor. If it is a little bit misalign than I think it already not working anymore.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it is strange for sure. I'm going to put my old assembly and everything back together again to see what it does. I can't see anyway to realign the sensors at all since they're attached to the mother board, but we'll see.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
They sent me a replacement screen and the problem went away. Only thing I could think of was it had something to do with the coating on the glass where the proximity sensor hole is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo