Advise me please

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
So, here is the situation. I had a 720, which I gave up for a 830. This was about a month or so back. Let me also get this out of the way. The 830 is an excellent phone for my purposes especially because I don't game on phones. Let me also say here what I use my phone for. Most important are the following: Email (three email accounts)/ Skype/ Viber/ Reddit (via Readit)/ Gmaps Pro (I have the paid app)/ Perfect Recorder (for voice notes)/ OneNote (quite a bit)/ OneDrive (not much but still sometimes)/ Weather/ IE (sometimes)/ Google + (sometimes)/ Photos (often)/ Alarms...etc.

So, you can see, I use the phone in a data-heavy way, which involves a lot of reading and quite a bit of writing. This is one reason why I opted for a phone with a larger screen as compared to the 720.

However, recently, I thought that an even larger screen would probably be better and this is why I have been looking at the 1520. There are a couple of other reasons: (1) I like the wireless charging (the 830 has it and it is a really worthwhile capability to have); (2) I think I would like the Hey Cortana feature when it comes up; (3) the S800 SoC would probably give the 1520 a fresh lease of life under Windows 10 (if the 1520 is upgraded to it, that is).

Now, I am based in the UK. I looked on the MS site, but it is not available - except from Vodafone, I think. I am with 3 (Three) and I don't intend to change immediately though my SIM-only contract is up for renewal next week. The only other option I can find is eBay, where I found a Black 32GB 1520 for ?399 (IIRC) from a seller in Hong Kong.

Given the above, my questions, then, are as follows:

First, is it worth buying the 1520 now?
Second, from what I understand the HK seller is selling the 1520.1 version. Does this have the infamous screen lag? From what I have been able to understand, the 1520.3 version is the most problem-free version of the phone. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Third, to get it from HK will I have to pay customs duty in the UK - the seller will be shipping it with FedEx?

Thanks in advance for your opinions/ information/ advice.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
The 1520 is still a goog option for you.
Did you check Amazon the German side also has them. Maybe the UK side also has them.
If you order from Hong Kong you probably need to pay these fees.
The lag thing I do not know.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
The 1520 is still a goog option for you.
Did you check Amazon the German side also has them. Maybe the UK side also has them.
If you order from Hong Kong you probably need to pay these fees.
The lag thing I do not know.

I checked on the Amazon UK site and can't seem to find any there. I can check the German site, but I wonder if (1) I will need to reflash the OS to a UK ROM and (2) whether I will still have to pay for the customs duty.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes the 1520 is still a great phone, I'm in love with mine and can't see me moving to anything else that has a smaller screen.

Don't bother with buying from overseas though. I bought mine sim free at carphone warehouse so I have the UK CV device.

Looks as though CW no longer offer the 1520 though, which bites. Only alternative I can suggest is looking on eBay for UK devices, I don't much like the idea of buying an overseas model and flashing the firmware.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes the 1520 is still a great phone, I'm in love with mine and can't see me moving to anything else that has a smaller screen.

Don't bother with buying from overseas though. I bought mine sim free at carphone warehouse so I have the UK CV device.

Looks as though CW no longer offer the 1520 though, which bites. Only alternative I can suggest is looking on eBay for UK devices, I don't much like the idea of buying an overseas model and flashing the firmware.

Thanks! That's the problem. Can't seem to find it in the UK at all - not even on eBay and I would really prefer a new rather than a used phone, if you know what I mean. Why did MS have to discontinue this damn model anyways, it is a flagship in the phablet category, isn't it?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, I don't find eBay that bad for phone, I've had several SIM free phones and never had a problem with any of them. I usually look for ones that are unwanted upgrades and still have the original packaging (pretty good sign it's not stolen).

And yes, I was also surprised to see the phone isn't as widely available as it used to be. Maybe the rumours of the 1530 are true.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
in germany they sell the nice green 1520 cheap for 379 €, don?t know if the ship to uk.
Nokia Lumia 1520 gr?n bei notebooksbilliger.de
At least you don?t have to pay taxes

Wait...hold up...are you saying that if I buy the 1520 from Germany and I am a resident of the UK, I don't have to pay customs duty etc.? If so, then I could just buy it off the Amazon.de site!

Edit: What does "Ohne branding" mean?

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, I don't find eBay that bad for phone, I've had several SIM free phones and never had a problem with any of them. I usually look for ones that are unwanted upgrades and still have the original packaging (pretty good sign it's not stolen).

And yes, I was also surprised to see the phone isn't as widely available as it used to be. Maybe the rumours of the 1530 are true.

That's the conundrum isn't it....I wonder if I should just wait to see what happens with Win 10 and when a successor to the 1520 drops. Till then maybe the 830 should suffice...but I really like the 1520 specs and size and for my purposes, it would be very useful, I think.

EndOfRope

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
"Ohne branding" means it is a cv, not withe vodafone etc. branding.
I think as long as uk is part of the EU we don?t need to pay taxes :)

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You can change the language/region/time zone in the settings easily enough, if they're not set up during the set up process.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon