Q1 2015 and Denim for 1520 is still not out (except for Finland) . I'm dying here :')

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: we're now in Q1 2015 and Denim for 1520 is still not out (except for Finland) . I'm dying here :

If Microsoft would just shoot updates out without telling anyone, we won't see so much whining, moaning, and complaining.

And yet we say "If they would only communicate..."

jstylela

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I tweeted attcares to which they just sent me to their website and I got on them about it. He said if I needed more info to let him know...and a day later nothing.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
I tweeted attcares to which they just sent me to their website and I got on them about it. He said if I needed more info to let him know...and a day later nothing.

....because ATT"doesn't"care. They want you to buy a new phone with that new Next contract...which oddly is more costly than the 24 month contract...than to push out updates to a phone that only sells in handfuls vs the other phones they sell in bucketloads.

If you search "at&t lumia denim update" you'll see the numerous threads on their community forums asking when this update is going to be pushed out. Not one community manager/rep can answer the question...

Last edited:

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: we're now in Q1 2015 and Denim for 1520 is still not out (except for Finland) . I'm dying here :

People are so impatient about an update they don't have. Your phone still works just as good as it has been. What's so hard about waiting?

If Microsoft would just shoot updates out without telling anyone, we won't see so much whining, moaning, and complaining.

The reason for the impatience is that some of us take a lot of pictures, because we like them or have young kids. For us, this update is VERY important... we will finally be able to get the shots we have been dying to take. We won't constantly miss moments as our kid freezes for two seconds and then breaks pose just before the camera takes the shot. We'll be able to use HDR, and pull frames from 4k video. These are big, important features, and we are very anxious to get them.

The communication problem is that Microsoft needs to communicate MORE, not less. If MS were open about what's going on, people could be a lot more understanding (and likely more patient as well). As is, it looks to most of us like the update is ready and they are just sitting on it for some unknown reason. Personally, I feel they are correcting issues or it is going through carrier certification... but it would be very nice to know what the status actually is.

MS went through a long period where they would communicate almost nothing. That riled people up much worse... because it looked like MS didn't care about Windows Phone at all. I almost left the platform because I was sure they were prepping to dump it.

mohd sahir

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

i agree. its like they tell half of the story to get us really interested. Then the other half of the story when they feel like doing so... we are already seated and motivated since december 2014. What worse is that a few country already have it, and... we stuck with a cat & mouse games :-(

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

It's just a relief to talk about the slow updates 
I wonder how is it a relief to talk about something that frustrates you? :) Unless you are using this forum as a lay chair and people on the forum cycle through as counselors:)

As far as Denim..

No, what happened, happened and couldn't have happened any other way.
->How do you know?
We are still alive.

bcm835

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
What left me really irritated about Denim was that it was promised in the reveal event it was to come to High end devices first in the last quarter of 2014.

Yet, we're in the half of January and there is no update for the 1520 except for Finland. I know that in the USA updates take a while because of the carriers, but I can't see why my 1520 CV didn't get the update yet.

It is not about how long it takes but more the feeling of a broken promise by microsoft. They didn't even step up to say "Ok, we can't launch it for Q4 2014, expect it to xx.xx.2015 date" Instead of "we are launching it in Q4 2014 after carriers testing and approvals" because the later sounds like BS when you have a CV phone.

The work Microsoft is doing is good, update wise, but the update cycle is faster on WP because they're trying to put it on par with IOS and Android, two OSs that had a lot more time to mature. Faster updates are one of the WP OS's differentiators anyway.

My point is, don't promise something you can't deliver, don't promise something and do the opposite, and if you do, bring your game together and communicate with your users better, without those vague corporate answers.

The Xbox team seems to have learned that in 2014, I hope the WP team does the same ASAP!

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

I wonder how is it a relief to talk about something that frustrates you? :) Unless you are using this forum as a lay chair and people on the forum cycle through as counselors:)

Pretty basic psychology... people feel better when their feelings are validated. Someone feeling frustrated will usually find relief to know that others are also frustrated with the situation and support their point of view. Same reason your wife or husband tells you about her day and wants you to empathize with her feelings. Same reason people go to support groups (though obviously nothing as severe of course). :)

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

I have a phone with a 20 megapixel camera and I hate taking photographs with it. Dead slow.

Well I bet by the time you bought the phone it wasn't such a big problem or else you wouldn't have bought it? Nobody knew about the performance improvement nor was it announced. So you cannot blame MS. Although their startegy for denim rollout is indeed strange with their delays.
I'm more keen about OS updates as there is much to improve still; far more than in device firmware.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
....because ATT"doesn't"care. They want you to buy a new phone with that new Next contract...which oddly is more costly than the 24 month contract...than to push out updates to a phone that only sells in handfuls vs the other phones they sell in bucketloads.

If you search "at&t lumia denim update" you'll see the numerous threads on their community forums asking when this update is going to be pushed out. Not one community manager/rep can answer the question...

I'd love to hear you explain the passage I've bolded ...

IF you're on an old plan (w subsidy), why would you go NEXT
BUT
IF you're on the Mobile Share plan - NEXT is much cheaper!

corby lambert

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I'd love to hear you explain the passage I've bolded ...

IF you're on an old plan (w subsidy), why would you go NEXT
BUT
IF you're on the Mobile Share plan - NEXT is much cheaper!

How is next cheaper, as I understand it your pretty much renting the phone. You could almost buy a new phone outright and KEEP it for the amount you pay with next, and have to give the phone up....i may be wrong though.

corby lambert

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

Come on guys just flash the Finland rom and be over and done with waiting. I did that in the first week of December and have been enjoying Denim ever since. Just back up your phone before hand and you will only loose a few game high scores (except for games that have Facebook login mechanism or use a separate server)

I have the rm-940, not an option for me or it would already be done!

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
How is next cheaper, as I understand it your pretty much renting the phone. You could almost buy a new phone outright and KEEP it for the amount you pay with next, and have to give the phone up....i may be wrong though.

YOU ARE INCORRECT - you have the option to simply keep the phone, you don't have to ' ... give the phone up ... '

NEXT is an option to pay for the phone over time, in equal payments depending on term. You have the option to upgrade & turn the phone in, but, that's not mandatory. After you pay the monthly payments, the phone is yours.
OR
You can buy a LUMIA 1520 RM-940 off eBay for $425. (NIB) like I did.

Currently I pay $142 month for 20GB shared on AT&T with 3 lines. I used to pay $190 for 700 minutes, 3GB + 3GB + 500MB, UnLim SMS with subsidies included. This includes taxes & corp discount (FAN). Hope to have retentions shave another $20 month off that (match Verizon 10GB @ $80) & lose the double data.

BTW - if you take a subsidy on Mobile Share, you'd pay $839 for a $650 phone - on NEXT, you'll pay $650.

$839 = $199. (sub'd cost of phone) + $40 (upgrade fee) + $600 ($25 upcharge per month x 24 months).
NEXT $650 = $27.08 month x 24 months (~~ $650)

Last edited:

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Took a look just now at the Phone Update, and the top said there was a temporary problem downloading an update from the server, along with an error number. I clicked on the 'Check for Updates' button, and it said there are no new updates. Is that a normal glitch? I've been checking it every day for 2 or 3 months, and never saw that message before.

[US - AT&T L1520 - RM940]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99