03-15-2015 03:13 PM
108 ... 2345
tools
    Cyan is largely an improvement and I have yet to see anything game changing in Denim, but we'll see :D
    Well you're gonna see yourself denim is a great improvement
    01-27-2015 11:05 PM
    My understanding of iOS (I've only used it briefly) is that the OS itself advances once a year. The rest of the time they are pushing Fixes (for bugs) and Security Patches (for whoopsies).

When I was on Android, I was spoiled by using Nexus and getting regular updates. However, the user forums and people in my personal life reveal that most Android devices in the mid to high end get one update and done, two as a rare exception. Low end devices rarely or never see an update. this is due to the OEMs constantly pushing new hardware. Vastly more Android devices get left behind than are updated. The majority of users are not flashing custom ROMS. The majority of forum users are, not the mainstream user group.

I've been using Windows Phone since August, 2013. So in the roughly 16 months I've been on the platform it has gone from Amber to Black (1st update) to Cyan (2nd update) to Denim (expected 3rd). That puts me on pace for one update every 6 months. The lowly and almost 2 year old Lumia 520 is getting 8.1.1 and is expected to upgrade all the way into Windows 10.

I think a lot of posts around this topic are based on a fallacy that the grass is always greener on the other side.
    That's not how it is anymore... I have an iPhone 6+ & a Lumia 1520 (work and personal) & my iPhone has had 2 updates since I bought it last year... THEY FIX PROBLEMS I DIDN'T REALLY NOTICE LOL... I love my 1520 and the WindowsPhone platform in general. I've had 3 920's, a 925, a 1020 and now I'm settled with my 1520 (the best imo). The update situation is extremely frustrating with this OS to say the least. I hope things get better soon. It's hard to recommend WP to anyone anymore.
    Last edited by Jacob Frye; 01-27-2015 at 11:37 PM.
    01-27-2015 11:18 PM
    That's not how it is anymore... I have an iPhone 6+ & a Lumia 1520 (work and personal) & my iPhone has had 2 updates since I bought it last year... THEY FIX PROBLEMS I DIDN'T REALLY NOTICE LOL... I love my 1520 and the WindowsPhone platform in general. I've had 3 920's, a 925, a 1020 and now I'm settled with my 1520 (the best imo). The update situation is extremely frustrating with this OS to say the least. I hope things get better soon. It's hard to recommend WP to anyone anymore.
    But at really they are always giving us updates , and working updates and not making our phones super slow!!
    01-28-2015 02:50 AM
    Frustrating to say the least... Really how long??
    01-28-2015 06:20 AM
    Please read my post again which you quoted... I did mention Bug Fixes and Security Patches as separate from new features and core OS advances such as the 8.1.1 + Denim Official will bring.
    aximtreo likes this.
    01-28-2015 10:28 AM
    Please read my post again which you quoted... I did mention Bug Fixes and Security Patches as separate from new features and core OS advances such as the 8.1.1 + Denim Official will bring.
    Yea but we've had to wait for sooo much. It seems like most of the great features for WP's are always "coming in the next update". It's been like that for a few years now... Don't get me wrong, I love the WP platform (I prefer my 1520 over my iPhone 6+ that's why I don't just have two iPhones like most of the people at my work) & plan on sticking around but it's hard for me to recommend it to anybody. I live near Brooks photography school and many of my friends that go there are very "techy" so I recommend it to them and that's pretty much it.. It's the Saab of phones.. It's the quirky, yet intelligent choice (& also hard to get parts for).
    Andrew Gordon likes this.
    01-29-2015 12:20 AM
    Yea but we've had to wait for sooo much. It seems like most of the great features for WP's are always "coming in the next update". It's been like that for a few years now... Don't get me wrong, I love the WP platform (I prefer my 1520 over my iPhone 6+ that's why I don't just have two iPhones like most of the people at my work) & plan on sticking around but it's hard for me to recommend it to anybody. I live near Brooks photography school and many of my friends that go there are very "techy" so I recommend it to them and that's pretty much it.. It's the Saab of phones.. It's the quirky, yet intelligent choice (& also hard to get parts for).
    But how is that any different from IOS updates? I bought a 4s new when it was released. Each IOS update after the 4.x to 5.x made it work worse, and the forced upgrade to 7 basically bricked it. They also screw you in the sense that you cannot revert once a new IOS is released as they stop signing your version copy (this is very important). I have since had a 5, 5s, and now 6 in the household and I can say they also do not age well update/software-wise. In fairness, to single out WP as a grass-is-greener on the future platform is incorrect. It all comes down to what features we can live with and what we can live without.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-29-2015 04:46 AM
    Yea that's how IoS used to be for me too... That's why i jumped ship to WP in the first place... 95% of people don't mind "forced" updates or auto updates. And I'm not saying the grass is greener on the other side.. The iPhone doesn't have a decent camera & I hate the UI. I use it purely for work and a few apps. If I was going to single any OS out it would be Android. My gf and her friends all have Android devices and after a year or two they all have soooo many problems..
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-29-2015 10:02 AM
    I just hope 10 has all this crap handled by Microsoft, or at least they flash radios separately from the OS and other device firmware so they can skip all the delays.
    02-03-2015 01:14 PM
    I still didn't get my update :/
    02-08-2015 11:24 AM
    I still didn't get my update :/
    The more that are done, the better the chance you are up next.
    Qais Abu-Hasan likes this.
    02-08-2015 12:06 PM
    The more that are done, the better the chance you are up next.
    All the middle east is updated except for 4 countries , this was real long time ago , so I'm really disappointed
    02-08-2015 12:24 PM
    Do not be disappointed ... because we Finnish are beta testers for Denim (I got it almost 2 months ago) ... well, it was a big improvement for Lumia 1520 camera, but denim fw has still some bugs (it is still beta) ...
    02-08-2015 12:37 PM
    Do not be disappointed ... because we Finnish are beta testers for Denim (I got it almost 2 months ago) ... well, it was a big improvement for Lumia 1520 camera, but denim fw has still some bugs (it is still beta) ...
    Are you sure it is beta !! Coz I don't think an official update to the public can be beta ! It is not convenient at all, but hey we're missing the point here , I'm waiting but this wait is rather TOO long..
    02-08-2015 03:04 PM
    , but hey we're missing the point here , I'm waiting but this wait is rather TOO long

But the actual point is that microsoft has noting to gain in a delay and they never committed on a date that the rollout is finished.
    If we assumed/concluded that a start of the rollout is also the same as all devices get it in 2 days than that is our "mistake".
    RumoredNow and Qais Abu-Hasan like this.
    02-08-2015 03:43 PM
    But the actual point is that microsoft has noting to gain in a delay and they never committed on a date that the rollout is finished.
    If we assumed/concluded that a start of the rollout is also the same as all devices get it in 2 days than that is our "mistake".
    Yeah true what you say , but does it have to lose ?!!
    Harrie-S likes this.
    02-09-2015 05:10 AM
    Are you sure it is beta !! Coz I don't think an official update to the public can be beta ! It is not convenient at all, but hey we're missing the point here , I'm waiting but this wait is rather TOO long..
    I ccompletely agree. I do concert promoting as a side job/hobby and I've been waiting for the camera upgrades like a hungry dog. I thought I would have Denim two festivals ago lol
    02-10-2015 10:29 PM
    I ccompletely agree. I do concert promoting as a side job/hobby and I've been waiting for the camera upgrades like a hungry dog. I thought I would have Denim two festivals ago lol
    The same's happening to me !! I've got an event next week and I DO NEED the 4K and moment capture 😭
    02-11-2015 03:55 AM
    If anyone from Microsoft is reading this , plz roll Lumia denim update to our Lumia 1520 in Palestine (Palestinian territories) and other countries that are waiting 😩
    02-11-2015 03:57 AM
    W10 preview is here soon and still no denim. Wtf?!
    02-11-2015 05:35 AM
    W10 preview is here soon and still no denim. Wtf?!
    I know right !!!
    02-11-2015 08:13 AM
    Maybe q2?
    02-11-2015 10:18 AM
    Maybe q2?
    Haha its better not
    02-11-2015 11:28 AM
    Lol I can't believe we got beat by the icon owners haha.
    02-11-2015 11:49 AM
    lol i can't believe we got beat by the icon owners haha.
    looool
    02-11-2015 12:14 PM
108 ... 2345