Q1 2015 and Denim for 1520 is still not out (except for Finland) . I'm dying here :')

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: we're now in Q1 2015 and Denim for 1520 is still not out (except for Finland) . I'm dying here :

...let's complain here...

OK

My complaint is the near constant bombardment of new threads and posts about "where is my update?"

It comes when it comes and nothing to be done until it arrives except relax. I trust my Denim is somewhere in the process and my device is not forgotten like some Android that stops receiving updates after 6 months - if ever...

Z8JLsgokUI

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: we're now in Q1 2015 and Denim for 1520 is still not out (except for Finland) . I'm dying here :

Wish I can say the same for my wife's iPhone which received update and fix a lot more often.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Wish I can say the same for my wife's iPhone which received update and fix a lot more often.

My understanding of iOS (I've only used it briefly) is that the OS itself advances once a year. The rest of the time they are pushing Fixes (for bugs) and Security Patches (for whoopsies).

When I was on Android, I was spoiled by using Nexus and getting regular updates. However, the user forums and people in my personal life reveal that most Android devices in the mid to high end get one update and done, two as a rare exception. Low end devices rarely or never see an update. this is due to the OEMs constantly pushing new hardware. Vastly more Android devices get left behind than are updated. The majority of users are not flashing custom ROMS. The majority of forum users are, not the mainstream user group.

I've been using Windows Phone since August, 2013. So in the roughly 16 months I've been on the platform it has gone from Amber to Black (1st update) to Cyan (2nd update) to Denim (expected 3rd). That puts me on pace for one update every 6 months. The lowly and almost 2 year old Lumia 520 is getting 8.1.1 and is expected to upgrade all the way into Windows 10.

I think a lot of posts around this topic are based on a fallacy that the grass is always greener on the other side.

flipmack

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site

My understanding of iOS (I've only used it briefly) is that the OS itself advances once a year. The rest of the time they are pushing Fixes (for bugs) and Security Patches (for whoopsies).

When I was on Android, I was spoiled by using Nexus and getting regular updates. However, the user forums and people in my personal life reveal that most Android devices in the mid to high end get one update and done, two as a rare exception. Low end devices rarely or never see an update. this is due to the OEMs constantly pushing new hardware. Vastly more Android devices get left behind than are updated. The majority of users are not flashing custom ROMS. The majority of forum users are, not the mainstream user group.

I've been using Windows Phone since August, 2013. So in the roughly 16 months I've been on the platform it has gone from Amber to Black (1st update) to Cyan (2nd update) to Denim (expected 3rd). That puts me on pace for one update every 6 months. The lowly and almost 2 year old Lumia 520 is getting 8.1.1 and is expected to upgrade all the way into Windows 10.

I think a lot of posts around this topic are based on a fallacy that the grass is always greener on the other side.

I agree. I was on seven different Android phones and tablets starting with Froyo - and to be honest, only one tablet that I kept bone stock received an OS update through the vendor/provider. The other phones/tablets only got updates because I had installed custom ROMs and I was constantly tweaking them to get them to work.

With Windows Phone - either my 635 or my 1520 - they both work out-of-the-box and are getting the EXACT SAME OS UPDATE in the future. Any faults are due to applications (hello, TheChive) or hardware (1520 was returned twice for screen issues).

I didn't have to tweak anything to get MMS, group messaging, LTE, or localized GPS support - these were frequent tweaks that I had to do with Android.

Will I get Denim? yes, probably eventually. But in the meantime, I'm just going to live with great devices that don't need constant babysitting...

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site

I admit that one of the first things I do each morning is to run the "Phone Update" process to check and see if Denim was released.

Myggen82

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

Just remember that PFD has to be turned off for Denim to appear. At least it had to on my 930.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site

I admit that one of the first things I do each morning is to run the "Phone Update" process to check and see if Denim was released.

Relax. You can just set it to auto update with desired timing too.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site

Q1 2015 means until and including March, lol. Have patience man.

Dare2Blink

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Come on guys just flash the Finland rom and be over and done with waiting. I did that in the first week of December and have been enjoying Denim ever since. Just back up your phone before hand and you will only loose a few game high scores (except for games that have Facebook login mechanism or use a separate server)

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Is a waiting game... what else? And to make thing worse, the low end models get it first than the high end ones..... What logic

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Come on guys just flash the Finland rom and be over and done with waiting. I did that in the first week of December and have been enjoying Denim ever since. Just back up your phone before hand and you will only loose a few game high scores (except for games that have Facebook login mechanism or use a separate server)

And if you have a RM-938 or RM-940?

​Non-sympatico

moegnd

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

I got my 1520 from China, and I was sick of it, somehow it had some bugs. It changed my date and time almost everyday, lots of hickups, plus, it had one of the Chinese carriers splash screen, although I got it unlocked.
So, I just flashed the Finland software, didn't activate developers preview, and I got Denim for over 3 weeks now. "Hey, Cortana" is working, 4K video capture is also awesome and the camera capture speed has improved significantly, although not as fast as iPhone yet. What else, yea, I noticed time was setup automatically when I chose that.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Q1 = January, February and March. It's January 9th right now. Calm.Down.Already.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Im from Finland, I have a Finnish 1520 and I have Denim. I dont see whats the problem here.... :winktongue:

(Im sorry, I just had to)

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Buy 535 and you can have it. I don't see any great new features worth dying for on my 535.

Relax... Just wait for W10.��

The improvements for the 1520 and 930 are far more significant than those for the low end or older devices. I still agree with you, people should really calm down.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Good you're doing that because I've quit expecting there to be an update. There usually isn't one and I don't anticipate there will be before the summer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo