How Qi Wireless Charging works in 1520

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
So, I'm having some problems with wireless charging not working intermittently in my 1520. My question is, does the battery simply charge from the wireless charging coil actually coming in contact with it? Or does it send the charge through the flex cable on the battery that's attached to the motherboard somehow? Is there anything I can check internally that would cause it to work sometimes and sometimes not?

Thanks!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There is likely a coil on the back cover, and that coil probably connects in somehow.

Which goes places and eventually reaches the battery.

I'd first make sure the phone is aligned as much as you can on the charger, because it could become temperamental if its too far off.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Yep, the coils is inside the back cover. But, it's not connected to anything inside of the phone itself. Which leads me to believe it just charges the battery by coming into contact with it. I've checked the alignment on the charger (two of them) also.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
The coil inside the backplate has to make electric contact with the battery and then the current generated by the coil "flows" into the battery.
In below videos you can see what I was trying to say.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc-o8qQBPSg

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=baSlO-_bqpk

There is a thread about problems with the qi charging in the 830. Probably the "pins" of the backplate make bad contact with the pads on the battery. And that could also be the problem with your 1520.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Finally figured out what the problem must be and I thank everyone for their input. Apparently, I'm missing a spring loaded connector that hits the two points at the top of the TDK flex cable inside the back housing. It must've popped out while replacing my screen assembly. The crazy part is that I saw the spring attached to a piece of adhesive by the headset port. I tried to grab it with my tweezers to see what it was, and it popped from between the tweezers and somewhere on the ground.

Does anyone know if a cell place can replace a connector on the motherboard? I was going to buy a whole new or one of the broken ones on ebay. But, of course they're all ATT rm-940 and I have a rm-938. I'd buy one of those boards if I could find it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes