Question about motherboard swap

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I have a rm-938 1520.3 and sometime while replacing the LCD, one of the connectors that hits the Qi charging flex must've popped out and I lost it. Its spring loaded and located on the motherboard. I'm going to call some local places tomorrow to see if they can fix it. But, the other thing I was thinking of doing is just purchasing a broken rm-940 ATT version from ebay and using that motherboard. My question is, since it will be an ATT version that will only accept an ATT rom, will my Qi charging still work on it? I assume yes since I've seen the mod of an ATT model to get Qi charging. I just want to be sure before going that route.

Last edited:

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I'd seriously reconsider that (second) option - aside from the QI charging, you could be inviting other issues.

I'll assume you have the service manual (if NOT search it - I have the RM-940 version) to attempt to re-connect it, else take it to a reputable shop. The MoBo (as I understand) contains the IMEI (embedded in the ROM ?), which could cause other problems. As well as the MoBo could be materially different (different jumpers) on an RM-940. Also, after looking @ my manual, the RM-940 may not have the part you need (PMA is configured differently from QI charging - thus the mod you referenced).

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I definitely don't want it to be my first option. From what I can tell, the rom along with imei will be in internal memory. The boards appear to be identical, even down to the connectors that contact the pma flex being the same as they are for Qi devices. And the mod didn't need any software changes to accept the Qi charging. I know that of course my imei will be different at least.

Oh, and forgot to mention in my original post that when it popped out, I lost the connector. I edited my post.

Last edited:

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I definitely don't want it to be my first option. From what I can tell, the rom along with imei will be in internal memory. The boards appear to be identical, even down to the connectors that contact the pma flex being the same as they are for Qi devices & you've checked all the jumpers (soldered connections). And the mod didn't need any software changes to accept the Qi charging. I know that of course my imei will be different at least. that could be a blacklisted (or worse) IMEI

Oh, and forgot to mention in my original post that when it popped out, I lost the connector. I'd probably buy the cheapest damaged device, to harvest the connector, then break it down for parts (camera module, etc.), you might recover the original cost of damaged phone, selling the parts ! I edited my post.

comments in RED - just trying to get the oops out there.
You seem capable of pulling this off.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, a blacklisted IMEI would definitely not be good and you're certainly right about avoiding the motherboard swap for an ATT version. As I thought about it more, Qi charging probably wouldn't work according to the mod thread on it for the ATT version seeing as they tried to simply put an international back on an ATT version (which is basically just the motherboard) and it wouldn't work. If I swapped the motherboard, that's essentially what I would have.

So, I found this Nokia Lumia 1520 3 32GB White Unlocked Smartphone | eBay and it's apparently busted, but what he's asking is a little high for a busted 1520.3, that I have no idea what the problem is. He does just have a blank, white screen. So, I'm imaging he's just messed up the display. Which, I have a brand new one on mine. I'm just concerned that he may have messed up something on the motherboard, although he indicates everything else with the phone is fine.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
There are a couple of things that could be wrong - he may have busted the LCD (which you can live with by swapping it), or he may have damaged the board connector, which require micro-soldering to replace.

His price seems high for that risk.

I recently bought a 930 with a broken screen, then put that board into an Icon body with a great screen, so I now have an unlocked 930 with Verizon branding on the front, that I use on ATT.

BTW - I just did a motherboard in a 1520 (both ATT units though). I found the service manual on ifixit, and did it. It's not too hard.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly why I won't even consider the price he's asking. The fact he tried to just replace the glass (from what I can tell), means he obviously broke something pretty good. And since he's getting a white screen, it's highly likely he damaged a connector on the board. Although, there's only one connector from the lcd assembly to the board itself. But, I believe he just tried to replace the glass, which means he tried heating the thing up, and I'm not sure whether or not he did that with the board still attached to the back of the lcd (most likely as he didn't seem to know a lot about the internals when I asked if I could just buy the board from him). If he overheated something and messed up the board, I guess that could also cause his issue.

You're right though, the board swap is really easy. I just got careless when taking my phone apart so many times trying to figure out why the first lcd assembly I received was fouling up the proximity sensor. Up until the 10th time of taking it apart or so, I had no damage to it. Then bam, I noticed wireless charging wasn't working and opened it up to find the dislodged spring loaded connector.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Well...got the phone to a great shop here in Austin, Mobile Phone Geeks and they got my motherboard connector fixed with an awesome soldering job!! So, don't need the motherboard swap anymore!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans