03-04-2015 03:00 PM
245 1234 ...
tools
    I don't quite understand people and their infatuation with complaining about updates they WILL get...I guess it's because they don't have it now.

Does your phone not function without it? Is there something so instrumental in the update that it change the way you see life? Will it help you do your Income Taxes so you can "ball 'till you fall" with the refund money? What's so special about getting it now instead of tomorrow? I'm just curious because I've seen so much complaining, b*tching, moaning, and crying about something that cannot be controlled.

However, let Microsoft release an update now and it has a plethora of issues... At least you will have the update right?

When it comes, it comes. My life will remain the same and my 1520 will still function with Denim or without. Go fix you a snack, read The Hound of the Baskervilles, watch some Cowboy Bebop or Criminal Minds...Hell, break out your Nintendo DS and play some Crono Trigger. Just have patience...
    01-15-2015 08:48 PM
    The lumia 1520 is currently not running as it should and we hope that the denim update will solve these issues. If you would rather your phone ran as it currently does, great - but dont complain about intelligent people who have slightly higher expectations than you do.
    01-15-2015 09:09 PM
    The lumia 1520 is currently not running as it should and we hope that the denim update will solve these issues. If you would rather your phone ran as it currently does, great - but dont complain about intelligent people who have slightly higher expectations than you do.
    I don't know what's wrong with your 1520, but mine works beyond my expectations--great battery life, excellent display, great pictures. It's apparent that your 1520 must have something wrong with it if it doesn't run as it should. The problem is it's not about these "issues" these "intelligent" people are yammering about; it's the fact that it's a new update that they want NOW, like a bunch of entitled snot-nosed brats. It's not about higher expectations either...I EXPECT to get the Denim update. I do EXPECT, as well, to receive the Denim update by the time frame Microsoft has given (which is by Q1--by the way doesn't end until March 31st).

Every time it's an new update, there's the same ol' song...the one being sung as we speak

Moral to the story: It's coming. Not when you want it, but when it's tested and confirmed to work bug-free on your particular device/carrier.
    01-15-2015 09:28 PM
    Dear pal,

I also have no idea. I guess as soon as all mid-end and low-end devices will have received denim update, such high end ones will start grabbing the update. Microsoft chose the strategy of focusing on budget phones in order that windows phone marketshare can expand. That's why quite many budget phones got released recently such as 530, 535, 532 and 435. In addition, such devices also have the priority over the high-end ones for update.

All I can say is just keep waiting. Another solution can be considered, abandon your current phone and pick up a budget one. hahahahahahhhhhh

Frankly, I've been weighing seriously if I should leave my 1520 for another device coz I see no respect from Microsoft. I sent them feedback on this matter but they never replied.
    01-15-2015 10:19 PM
    "L Beezy;2941517 wrote: don't know what's wrong with your 1520, but mine works beyond my expectations"

As I said, you must have very low expectations.

Ms promised the release for 1520 q4 last year and then changed their mind. The problem is that they cant be bothered telling their customers what the genuine timeline is. There is no secret, they just operate like there is.

The lumia 1520 browser is one of the worst browsers I have used. I hope denim fixes this. The email app sometimes only shows the left half of the email - iphone and blackberry and android show the whole message without issue. I hope denim fixes this. The lumia 1520 has touch scroll issues. I hope denim fixes this. I would go on, but I will assume you will deny all of these issues.
    01-15-2015 10:29 PM
    "The email app sometimes only shows the left half of the email - iphone and blackberry and android show the whole message without issue. I hope denim fixes this.
    You are new to windows, aren't you?
    01-16-2015 01:51 AM
    No. Actually the opposite. Started with windows mobile years ago and then lumia 800 lumia 920 and lumia 1520. They have all had issues.

I test mobiles. Android, ios, windows phone and blackberry. Have done so since 1998.

How about you?
    01-16-2015 02:10 AM
    You are new to windows, aren't you?
    I see that you are suggesting that I dont understand the concept of pinch zoom and scroll within the email app. I am not stupid. You cant zoom out or scroll. It just displays the left half. Rubbish software right?

Try for yourself. Happens with linkedin notifications mostly.
    Last edited by magicdesign; 01-16-2015 at 02:49 AM.
    wphashan likes this.
    01-16-2015 02:17 AM
    Got this straight to my email from MS but when i check manually phone says my software is update - still cyan. no Denim.

If you cannot view this email properly click here.

Microsoft
    Follow
    Subscribe

Denim features

Lumia Denim software update

Get the best Lumia smartphone experience yet. The Lumia Denim software update is available across the entire range of Lumia smartphones running Windows Phone 8.1.

Learn more about Lumia Denim
    01-16-2015 03:15 AM
    Seriously, how hard is it to follow instructions and flash Finnish ROM? I received my sexy red 1520 today and first thing i did was flashed it to Finnish Cyan ROM. I had downloaded the ROM and everything ready overnight. Thus the whole process took just 5 minutes. Now as I'm typing, my denim update is getting downloaded Via OTA. Its as easy as that. Damn you window phone, you drag me back every time i leave :P
    Had Lumia 920 before i jumped the ship to Mi3 in June 2014. I came back to Lumia 1020 in October 2014 and then went to OnePlus in December and now again came back to 1520. :)
    01-16-2015 06:56 AM
    Hey all,

Just to clear up some impressions here.

1. Unlocked has NO bearing on when you will get the update. If you have a carrier or country variant, regardless of what carrier you are using it on, then you will get it when it's released.
    2. US and UK are slower markets for release because they have to go through Carrier Approval. I have worked for several US carriers and the process is internally painful and slow. Although, from what I hear, it is getting better, but who knows how long they will take to approve it.
    TruPlaya187 likes this.
    01-16-2015 08:22 AM
    As I said, you must have very low expectations.

Ms promised the release for 1520 q4 last year and then changed their mind. The problem is that they cant be bothered telling their customers what the genuine timeline is. There is no secret, they just operate like there is.

The lumia 1520 browser is one of the worst browsers I have used. I hope denim fixes this. The email app sometimes only shows the left half of the email - iphone and blackberry and android show the whole message without issue. I hope denim fixes this. The lumia 1520 has touch scroll issues. I hope denim fixes this. I would go on, but I will assume you will deny all of these issues.
    Let's clarify a few things:

1. Microsoft did not promise anything. I repeat, they did not promise anything. You took their announcement of Denim as a promise rather than just simply for information purposes. From what I remember, Microsoft said that Denim will begin rolling out by the end of last year. Rolling out and being released (instantly in your case) is not the same thing. Know the difference; that may stop any other confusion you may have in the future.

2. How can Microsoft give a definite date when they have to work with carriers in some instances? The Denim update may have already been release to carriers and is awaiting approval pending testing. On the other hand, they did say by Q1, which I've already said, isn't done yet.

3. Those two issues you speak of are true. I've noticed them--the email and IE issues. I can't log on to my college's uLink website on IE without getting an error every time. I've also seen the email showing up on half of the screen. Those issues are there. Credit given. But since those two issues are hindering your phone experience, it must be a pain right? I use UC Browser to access uLink and I also open those emails that cannot be viewed properly into my browser. Of course, it's not a fix to IE or the emails, but it is a work-around until the Denim update hits and hopefully fixes these issues.

4. The touch scroll issues, which I don't have, is definitely a local issue. I don't have that problem at all with my 1520. I do, however, have the green 1520 FWIW. I've heard that flexing issues with the frame contributes to these touch scroll issues.

I don't have low expectations, I just have reasonable ones. I'm reasonable enough to let the Denim update run its courses and reach my phone when it does instead of exclaiming why a promise (which wasn't even a promise) was broken to me about an update I will get soon.

By the way, what other issues you are having with your 1520? I'm curious.
    01-16-2015 09:04 AM
    Let's clarify a few things:

1. Microsoft did not promise anything. I repeat, they did not promise anything. You took their announcement of Denim as a promise rather than just simply for information purposes. From what I remember, Microsoft said that Denim will begin rolling out by the end of last year. Rolling out and being released (instantly in your case) is not the same thing. Know the difference; that may stop any other confusion you may have in the future.

2. How can Microsoft give a definite date when they have to work with carriers in some instances? The Denim update may have already been release to carriers and is awaiting approval pending testing. On the other hand, they did say by Q1, which I've already said, isn't done yet.

3. Those two issues you speak of are true. I've noticed them--the email and IE issues. I can't log on to my college's uLink website on IE without getting an error every time. I've also seen the email showing up on half of the screen. Those issues are there. Credit given. But since those two issues are hindering your phone experience, it must be a pain right? I use UC Browser to access uLink and I also open those emails that cannot be viewed properly into my browser. Of course, it's not a fix to IE or the emails, but it is a work-around until the Denim update hits and hopefully fixes these issues.

4. The touch scroll issues, which I don't have, is definitely a local issue. I don't have that problem at all with my 1520. I do, however, have the green 1520 FWIW. I've heard that flexing issues with the frame contributes to these touch scroll issues.

I don't have low expectations, I just have reasonable ones. I'm reasonable enough to let the Denim update run its courses and reach my phone when it does instead of exclaiming why a promise (which wasn't even a promise) was broken to me about an update I will get soon.

By the way, what other issues you are having with your 1520? I'm curious.
    Well said. +1

I know one thing for sure, I will be staying away from ANY forums on Jan 21. Because if MS does not release a WP Insider build, the pitch forks and torches will be coming out (even though they never promised it would).
    L Beezy and EuroKnuter like this.
    01-16-2015 09:09 AM
    Well said. +1

I know one thing for sure, I will be staying away from ANY forums on Jan 21. Because if MS does not release a WP Insider build, the pitch forks and torches will be coming out (even though they never promised it would).
    Yes you will. You will be stuck on the 836 for hours on your way home and you'll need some entertainment to brighten your day.
    Talderon likes this.
    01-16-2015 09:17 AM
    I may just may bring a Cot to work and sleep here. I would be safer than trying to not get attacked by the pitchfork and torch wielding masses.

Then again, I would rather be here than back in Seattle/Redmond. *shudders*
    01-16-2015 09:34 AM
    Okay so i got the denim working and rich camera is nice. I'm having trouble setting up the cortana again. Even when i set the language and region as US, it says it is not supported in my region. What am i doing wrong?
    01-16-2015 09:37 AM
    Angry Pixel
    see link for the settings.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...e-3fde582aecd4
    01-16-2015 09:46 AM
    Nevermind. It was a conflict within settings. My speech setting was UK English and others were US english. Now its working absolutely fine. Loving my sexy 1520 ;)
    01-16-2015 10:09 AM
    Since Denim is Firmware only I really don't expect it to fix the email and browser issues but I am really looking forward to the camera improvements.
    01-16-2015 11:00 AM
    Seriously, how hard is it to follow instructions and flash Finnish ROM?
    Harder for some than others. My time around the forums and modding phones for the last 3+ years have shown me that there are many who have no business making the attempt. And many more who do and then cry, cry, cry when they bork their device and have no idea how to recover - or worse, they simply can't recover from what they have done. Truly it is not for everyone.

I received my sexy red 1520 today and first thing i did was flashed it to Finnish Cyan ROM...
    Which variant did you get? BNIB? Many users are beginning to have difficulty locating a 1520... Got a link if it is a retailer (not private seller)?
    01-16-2015 11:34 AM
    Harder for some than others. My time around the forums and modding phones for the last 3+ years have shown me that there are many who have no business making the attempt. And many more who do and then cry, cry, cry when they bork their device and have no idea how to recover - or worse, they simply can't recover from what they have done. Truly it is not for everyone.

Which variant did you get? BNIB? Many users are beginning to have difficulty locating a 1520... Got a link if it is a retailer (not private seller)?
    I bought it from Flipkart.com in India. Its a RM-937 version.
    Have to agree on the flashing part with you though. I'm so accustomed to flashing roms that it was natural and very easy for me to flash Finnish ROM. All it took were 5 to 6 clicks and 10 minutes. ;)
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-16-2015 11:59 AM
    I bought it from Flipkart.com in India. Its a RM-937 version.
    Have to agree on the flashing part with you though. I'm so accustomed to flashing roms that it was natural and very easy for me to flash Finnish ROM. All it took were 5 to 6 clicks and 10 minutes. ;)
    And there you answered part of your original question. You went to an alternate RM-937 ROM. Those with an RM-938 or RM-940 have a harder time. There is no Finnish ROM with the proper radio firmware for our variants.

Welcome to the 1520 club. Glad you are settling in. Did you get the Indian alpha of Cortana or are you using an out of region beta?
    01-17-2015 12:53 AM
    Since MS's hardware and software is found in all of these carriers place of business, why is it that Apple doesn't require such restrictions on releasing updates and yet it was shown that they too are fallible in their own systems. This whole testing talk is crap. Since WP doesn't make up close to a 1/4 of revenue for any of these carriers the amt of issues that could/would occur would be so miniscule that if incurred would be almost unnoticeable. It's just another way to say go f..k yourself MS.

What MS needs to do is when announcing updates is to do so near completion of updates so that when it's announced the release is just a month away to the ENTIRE WORLD. Will never understand why say to me today you love me and then show me almost a year later, are you saying I'm to endure the hate/mistreatment until.....!!!
    01-17-2015 01:16 AM
    Dear MS,

You're WP users/owners do not WORK at any of the MS offices so when you announce any updates/features to be released to our devices please I beg of you STOP thinking that WE work in those same offices that you who release these announcements do. The time frame that you announce them does not fit into our wait and see schedule. If you've forgotten you're now trying to make our devices on par with what's already been on the rival OSes for a few yrs now. So when you announce anything to make our devices better don't automatically expect that we have the same "wait and see" mentality that those at MS who develop the software does.

Rgds WP user.
    01-17-2015 01:25 AM
    And there you answered part of your original question. You went to an alternate RM-937 ROM. Those with an RM-938 or RM-940 have a harder time. There is no Finnish ROM with the proper radio firmware for our variants.

Welcome to the 1520 club. Glad you are settling in. Did you get the Indian alpha of Cortana or are you using an out of region beta?
    Is there a alpha for cortana in india??? I have no clue about that. I'm using out of region cortana but having a really hard time training Hey Cortana. It detects me only one out of 10 times during training but once training is done, detection is almost perfect. Dont know what is going wrong during the training. :/
    01-17-2015 06:43 AM
245 1234 ...