[L1520] Denim Update......

P_1

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Guys any news about the denim update. There so much of silence by Microsoft about the denim update. January is over and still no update by this speed they will release win10 next year.

magicdesign

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree. I am waiting for bug fixes in denim which I hope are there. There is no reason not to roll out to carrier free devices.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There is no reason not to roll out to carrier free devices.

Yes there is. There's roughly 2000 variants of the Denim firmware to test, which includes "Country Variant". Denim has to be tested on each variant of handset and then any fixes applied and retested. The same firmware image isn't applied to every CV 1520 in every country.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes there is. There's roughly 2000 variants of the Denim firmware to test, which includes "Country Variant". Denim has to be tested on each variant of handset and then any fixes applied and retested. The same firmware image isn't applied to every CV 1520 in every country.

And also making sure it complies with local Government communications standards in each and every country and gets signed off on.

magicdesign

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

Totally wrong

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Totally wrong

Totally true.

Attached text file contains a list of all of the Lumia variants as posted on the availibility charts. I've included the country names (something like 110 or so) and we have a row count of 2759.

That's a whole lot of testing.

Attachments

• LumiaList.txt
    176.1 KB · Views: 29

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Totally true.

Attached text file contains a list of all of the Lumia variants as posted on the availibility charts. I've included the country names (something like 110 or so) and we have a row count of 2759.

That's a whole lot of testing.

It is true. Microsoft is pushing the official 8.1.1 (+ Denim where applicable) OTA to waaaaaaay more discrete variations and configurations than any other mobile OS I can think of has attempted EVER in history.

If someone can name another and prove it true they should get a prize of some sort.

If someone wonders where their update is - this fact explains a lot.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I don't see why the number of devices is suddenly a problem, they managed to push Black and Cyan (even with its problems) relatively quickly. And its not going to get any easier with the seemingly endless numbers of low end devices MS is releasing. If they cant handle it now, good luck to them for Windows 10 and beyond.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why the number of devices is suddenly a problem, they managed to push Black and Cyan (even with its problems) relatively quickly. And its not going to get any easier with the seemingly endless numbers of low end devices MS is releasing. If they cant handle it now, good luck to them for Windows 10 and beyond.

Just because you received a previous update quicker than this one doesn't mean the entire rollout didn't take as long as it is taking for Denim to hit devices. In fact, I do remember users on various forums complaining that they'd have to wait aaaaaages for Black and also Cyan to become available for them. It's no different this time.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think Microsoft is shuffling things around.... Updating more quickly on Denim for those that waited long on Cyan. Trying to be fair, as it were.

Of course many who have to wait don't see it as fair...

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Just because you received a previous update quicker than this one doesn't mean the entire rollout didn't take as long as it is taking for Denim to hit devices. In fact, I do remember users on various forums complaining that they'd have to wait aaaaaages for Black and also Cyan to become available for them. It's no different this time.

That's exactly the point, the number of device models is irrelevant to how fast or slow an update is released. And if anything I would think work on Windows 10 is more likely to cause the process to be prolonged, not how many devices there are.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
also still waiting for lumia denim for my 1520 in the Netherlands. Odd the jump from UK to Australia, and skipping Holland (sad face). Running DP, but already noticing that denim should be close. I currently cannot use my lumia camera app because it says it won't work untill it gets the denim update and that I should check the phone update regularly. I have ben on my default microsoft camera app for the last 4 weeks now. Getting impatient....

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
apparently getting impatient isn't allowed here :eek:rly:

Indeed. Others will start pounding on you once you start complaining how slow Denim is.... Already end of Jan, and still so few countries are receiving the updates..... That's really bad.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
also still waiting for lumia denim for my 1520 in the Netherlands. Odd the jump from UK to Australia, and skipping Holland (sad face). Running DP, but already noticing that denim should be close. I currently cannot use my lumia camera app because it says it won't work untill it gets the denim update and that I should check the phone update regularly. I have ben on my default microsoft camera app for the last 4 weeks now. Getting impatient....

You'll probably want to disable the tickbox in your Preview for Developer app, I', pretty sure there won't be any more developer updates. There's a superstition that you might get the consumer update sooner if you opt of of the developer updates.

Despite theefmans's assumption, Microsoft doesn't have a huge team dedicated to testing each of the 2500 or so variants so can only get through the testing/retesting at a certain pace (and obviously, there's a development cycle/certification process to follow if there's any problems found).

The schedule for the updates being released is based on firmware variants being signed off by testers and priority is weighted toward handsets that are selling well at the time. There are most probably other considerations that affect the release schedule.

All this means that what we see as customers is an almost arbitary/random sequences of releases.

If we personally don't see an update for our own handset/region/carrier it can mean that it's either not a big seller, or some issue shave been found during testing that are being resolved. I'm sure everyone would reather have a working firmware than a broken one...

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
You'll probably want to disable the tickbox in your Preview for Developer app, I', pretty sure there won't be any more developer updates. There's a superstition that you might get the consumer update sooner if you opt of of the developer updates.

Despite theefmans's assumption, Microsoft doesn't have a huge team dedicated to testing each of the 2500 or so variants so can only get through the testing/retesting at a certain pace (and obviously, there's a development cycle/certification process to follow if there's any problems found).

The schedule for the updates being released is based on firmware variants being signed off by testers and priority is weighted toward handsets that are selling well at the time. There are most probably other considerations that affect the release schedule.

All this means that what we see as customers is an almost arbitary/random sequences of releases.

If we personally don't see an update for our own handset/region/carrier it can mean that it's either not a big seller, or some issue shave been found during testing that are being resolved. I'm sure everyone would reather have a working firmware than a broken one...

Tried with the tick box off, still no luck. I learned from other commenters on another Dutch blog they also don't have their denim update yet on a 1520 in the Netherlands.

Guess I still have to wait. They say patience is a virtue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes