[L1520] Denim Update......

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately by design CDMA carriers like Verizon and Sprint have 100% control of both the hardware and firmware on their network. Their networks require keys to be included in the firmware or the phone won't connect. If they don't approve, Microsoft doesn't get the keys. GSM carriers like AT&T and T-Mo don't require this, but if Microsoft tried to bypass them, they could stop selling the phones. The only reason the iphone gets away with this is because "everyone wants an iphone" (which I don't believe, but they do). So part of the agreement is that Verizon universally approves ALL updates without testing. Microsoft just doesn't have the power to make that deal.

The problem is that Microsoft depends on the carriers to test and release the firmware to a specific device, unlike Apple that they design, test and releases directly to their phones. I really don't understand why Microsoft just do that. Carriers don't need to be the one that judges if you receive the firmware or not. But it could also be that Microsoft negotiate with the carriers and they put that condition in order to accept Windows Phone in their sales.

okizen

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
I agree with abhirajsoni. Take the RM-937 for example. They should release the firmware globally so that is the same for Ghana as it is Finland and Saudi Arabia instead of releasing it according to global regions.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
When it comes, it comes. Phone (820) is fine without it. If it helps when it comes, great. It will just get better, I hope. Having the same problem with my Moto G lte, it was suppose to get Lollipop and it was released for some phones. But Google had suddenly stopped pushing it out. Lots of people waiting for that one also. WP is not the only boat on this lake.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
For all those who are so impatient, I have the answer. The Denim Update will be on your phone when the notification tells you it's there.

denispage

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Not really. I have an unbranded lumia 1520 (no carrier) and still no Denim update. MS is doing a TERRIBLE job in firmware updates.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't quite understand people and their infatuation with complaining about updates they WILL get...I guess it's because they don't have it now.

Does your phone not function without it? Is there something so instrumental in the update that it change the way you see life? Will it help you do your Income Taxes so you can "ball 'till you fall" with the refund money? What's so special about getting it now instead of tomorrow? I'm just curious because I've seen so much complaining, b*tching, moaning, and crying about something that cannot be controlled.

However, let Microsoft release an update now and it has a plethora of issues... At least you will have the update right?

When it comes, it comes. My life will remain the same and my 1520 will still function with Denim or without. Go fix you a snack, read The Hound of the Baskervilles, watch some Cowboy Bebop or Criminal Minds...Hell, break out your Nintendo DS and play some Crono Trigger. Just have patience...

magicdesign

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
The lumia 1520 is currently not running as it should and we hope that the denim update will solve these issues. If you would rather your phone ran as it currently does, great - but dont complain about intelligent people who have slightly higher expectations than you do.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
The lumia 1520 is currently not running as it should and we hope that the denim update will solve these issues. If you would rather your phone ran as it currently does, great - but dont complain about intelligent people who have slightly higher expectations than you do.

I don't know what's wrong with your 1520, but mine works beyond my expectations--great battery life, excellent display, great pictures. It's apparent that your 1520 must have something wrong with it if it doesn't run as it should. The problem is it's not about these "issues" these "intelligent" people are yammering about; it's the fact that it's a new update that they want NOW, like a bunch of entitled snot-nosed brats. It's not about higher expectations either...I EXPECT to get the Denim update. I do EXPECT, as well, to receive the Denim update by the time frame Microsoft has given (which is by Q1--by the way doesn't end until March 31st).

Every time it's an new update, there's the same ol' song...the one being sung as we speak

Moral to the story: It's coming. Not when you want it, but when it's tested and confirmed to work bug-free on your particular device/carrier.

David Ta

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Dear pal,

I also have no idea. I guess as soon as all mid-end and low-end devices will have received denim update, such high end ones will start grabbing the update. Microsoft chose the strategy of focusing on budget phones in order that windows phone marketshare can expand. That's why quite many budget phones got released recently such as 530, 535, 532 and 435. In addition, such devices also have the priority over the high-end ones for update.

All I can say is just keep waiting. Another solution can be considered, abandon your current phone and pick up a budget one. hahahahahahhhhhh :eck:

Frankly, I've been weighing seriously if I should leave my 1520 for another device coz I see no respect from Microsoft. I sent them feedback on this matter but they never replied.

magicdesign

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
"L Beezy;2941517 wrote: don't know what's wrong with your 1520, but mine works beyond my expectations"

As I said, you must have very low expectations.

Ms promised the release for 1520 q4 last year and then changed their mind. The problem is that they cant be bothered telling their customers what the genuine timeline is. There is no secret, they just operate like there is.

The lumia 1520 browser is one of the worst browsers I have used. I hope denim fixes this. The email app sometimes only shows the left half of the email - iphone and blackberry and android show the whole message without issue. I hope denim fixes this. The lumia 1520 has touch scroll issues. I hope denim fixes this. I would go on, but I will assume you will deny all of these issues.

magicdesign

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
No. Actually the opposite. Started with windows mobile years ago and then lumia 800 lumia 920 and lumia 1520. They have all had issues.

I test mobiles. Android, ios, windows phone and blackberry. Have done so since 1998.

How about you?

magicdesign

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
You are new to windows, aren't you?

I see that you are suggesting that I dont understand the concept of pinch zoom and scroll within the email app. I am not stupid. You cant zoom out or scroll. It just displays the left half. Rubbish software right?

Try for yourself. Happens with linkedin notifications mostly.

Last edited:

garama

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Got this straight to my email from MS but when i check manually phone says my software is update - still cyan. no Denim.

If you cannot view this email properly click here.

Microsoft
Follow
Subscribe

Denim features

Lumia Denim software update

Get the best Lumia smartphone experience yet. The Lumia Denim software update is available across the entire range of Lumia smartphones running Windows Phone 8.1.

Learn more about Lumia Denim

Angry Pixel

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Seriously, how hard is it to follow instructions and flash Finnish ROM? I received my sexy red 1520 today and first thing i did was flashed it to Finnish Cyan ROM. I had downloaded the ROM and everything ready overnight. Thus the whole process took just 5 minutes. Now as I'm typing, my denim update is getting downloaded Via OTA. Its as easy as that. Damn you window phone, you drag me back every time i leave :p
Had Lumia 920 before i jumped the ship to Mi3 in June 2014. I came back to Lumia 1020 in October 2014 and then went to OnePlus in December and now again came back to 1520. :)

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

Just to clear up some impressions here.

1. Unlocked has NO bearing on when you will get the update. If you have a carrier or country variant, regardless of what carrier you are using it on, then you will get it when it's released.
2. US and UK are slower markets for release because they have to go through Carrier Approval. I have worked for several US carriers and the process is internally painful and slow. Although, from what I hear, it is getting better, but who knows how long they will take to approve it.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
As I said, you must have very low expectations.

Ms promised the release for 1520 q4 last year and then changed their mind. The problem is that they cant be bothered telling their customers what the genuine timeline is. There is no secret, they just operate like there is.

The lumia 1520 browser is one of the worst browsers I have used. I hope denim fixes this. The email app sometimes only shows the left half of the email - iphone and blackberry and android show the whole message without issue. I hope denim fixes this. The lumia 1520 has touch scroll issues. I hope denim fixes this. I would go on, but I will assume you will deny all of these issues.

Let's clarify a few things:

1. Microsoft did not promise anything. I repeat, they did not promise anything. You took their announcement of Denim as a promise rather than just simply for information purposes. From what I remember, Microsoft said that Denim will begin rolling out by the end of last year. Rolling out and being released (instantly in your case) is not the same thing. Know the difference; that may stop any other confusion you may have in the future.

2. How can Microsoft give a definite date when they have to work with carriers in some instances? The Denim update may have already been release to carriers and is awaiting approval pending testing. On the other hand, they did say by Q1, which I've already said, isn't done yet.

3. Those two issues you speak of are true. I've noticed them--the email and IE issues. I can't log on to my college's uLink website on IE without getting an error every time. I've also seen the email showing up on half of the screen. Those issues are there. Credit given. But since those two issues are hindering your phone experience, it must be a pain right? I use UC Browser to access uLink and I also open those emails that cannot be viewed properly into my browser. Of course, it's not a fix to IE or the emails, but it is a work-around until the Denim update hits and hopefully fixes these issues.

4. The touch scroll issues, which I don't have, is definitely a local issue. I don't have that problem at all with my 1520. I do, however, have the green 1520 FWIW. I've heard that flexing issues with the frame contributes to these touch scroll issues.

I don't have low expectations, I just have reasonable ones. I'm reasonable enough to let the Denim update run its courses and reach my phone when it does instead of exclaiming why a promise (which wasn't even a promise) was broken to me about an update I will get soon.

By the way, what other issues you are having with your 1520? I'm curious.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Let's clarify a few things:

1. Microsoft did not promise anything. I repeat, they did not promise anything. You took their announcement of Denim as a promise rather than just simply for information purposes. From what I remember, Microsoft said that Denim will begin rolling out by the end of last year. Rolling out and being released (instantly in your case) is not the same thing. Know the difference; that may stop any other confusion you may have in the future.

2. How can Microsoft give a definite date when they have to work with carriers in some instances? The Denim update may have already been release to carriers and is awaiting approval pending testing. On the other hand, they did say by Q1, which I've already said, isn't done yet.

3. Those two issues you speak of are true. I've noticed them--the email and IE issues. I can't log on to my college's uLink website on IE without getting an error every time. I've also seen the email showing up on half of the screen. Those issues are there. Credit given. But since those two issues are hindering your phone experience, it must be a pain right? I use UC Browser to access uLink and I also open those emails that cannot be viewed properly into my browser. Of course, it's not a fix to IE or the emails, but it is a work-around until the Denim update hits and hopefully fixes these issues.

4. The touch scroll issues, which I don't have, is definitely a local issue. I don't have that problem at all with my 1520. I do, however, have the green 1520 FWIW. I've heard that flexing issues with the frame contributes to these touch scroll issues.

I don't have low expectations, I just have reasonable ones. I'm reasonable enough to let the Denim update run its courses and reach my phone when it does instead of exclaiming why a promise (which wasn't even a promise) was broken to me about an update I will get soon.

By the way, what other issues you are having with your 1520? I'm curious.

Well said. +1

I know one thing for sure, I will be staying away from ANY forums on Jan 21. Because if MS does not release a WP Insider build, the pitch forks and torches will be coming out (even though they never promised it would).

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Well said. +1

I know one thing for sure, I will be staying away from ANY forums on Jan 21. Because if MS does not release a WP Insider build, the pitch forks and torches will be coming out (even though they never promised it would).

Yes you will. You will be stuck on the 836 for hours on your way home and you'll need some entertainment to brighten your day.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I may just may bring a Cot to work and sleep here. I would be safer than trying to not get attacked by the pitchfork and torch wielding masses.

Then again, I would rather be here than back in Seattle/Redmond. *shudders*

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99