[L1520] Denim Update......

arbelnox

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm really tired of this waiting game and hence ended up flashing Finland Cyan to my Malaysia "False" Denim updated 1520 and now a happily Official Finland Denim equipped Lumia 1520 Malaysian user :)
Guess I will just keep this region as I believe our beloved Malaysia region is always late in pushing out the updates.
Perhaps you can consider the same bro. haha

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I believe I'm not the only person who is feeling impatient about how slow the update is. Is not about how patient one has to be, but how long MS is going to take? Another 1-2months? Or 3?

No. It is exactly about impatience. MS, being the topmost software company, knows pretty well how to update and when to update (well, except some unexpected issues).

If the update is being delayed for some phones, then there is a reason for that, don't you think? Or do you think there is a guy sitting in an office at MS, that keeps laughing every time he points the cursor to the "Release update" button, but keeps not doing that for personal reasons whatsoever? That's too silly.

CSMR250

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I think there are two problems. First there are too many models and country variants. Second cellular operators have too much power over phone software. Operators want to sell subsidized locked phones, OK. But they shouldn't need control over the operating system to do this. Microsoft can provide a mechanism for operators to lock phones but the OS updates can be completely separate from operators.

Huge number of models * huge number of countries * huge number of cellular operators = completely unmanageable update situation.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If the update is being delayed for some phones, then there is a reason for that, don't you think? Or do you think there is a guy sitting in an office at MS, that keeps laughing every time he points the cursor to the "Release update" button, but keeps not doing that for personal reasons whatsoever? That's too silly.

+1520.3, Exactly.

No users are being punished/blackmailed/whatever as the reason for delaying the release. Microsoft is not monitoring the forums waiting for the number of complaints to reach X# before issuing the update.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...Huge number of models * huge number of countries * huge number of cellular operators = completely unmanageable update situation.

Or

Huge number of models * huge number of countries * huge number of cellular operators = controlled staging update situation mandatory.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I think there are two problems. First there are too many models and country variants. Second cellular operators have too much power over phone software. Operators want to sell subsidized locked phones, OK. But they shouldn't need control over the operating system to do this. Microsoft can provide a mechanism for operators to lock phones but the OS updates can be completely separate from operators.

Huge number of models * huge number of countries * huge number of cellular operators = completely unmanageable update situation.

I see the correct maths in there.

Vyenkatesh

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I think Microsoft have released Denim for 1520 in Finland. Please somebody correct me if I am wrong. If not then... No questions. If yes then why not in other countries which does not have any operator restrictions and straight release pattern ? .i.e. India.
Or does Denim released to Finland has some problems, hence MS does not want to release the same package to other regions?

magicdesign

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
No. It is exactly about impatience. MS, being the topmost software company, knows pretty well how to update and when to update (well, except some unexpected issues).

No. They are sitting there working on windows 10, having completely moved on from 8.1

They dont care about legacy customers. The nokia team never has. They seem incapable of making the mental link between looking after existing customers to then convert them to repeat purchasers

CB Stuart

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone have any idea when my icon on Verizon will get any update? At this point I don't care what I get, but I've had preview for developers for 9 months now and in August I got my icon. Then my god dang 822 that is crap compared to my icon gets denim!!!! Wtf Verizon???

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
No. They are sitting there working on windows 10, having completely moved on from 8.1

They dont care about legacy customers. The nokia team never has. They seem incapable of making the mental link between looking after existing customers to then convert them to repeat purchasers

Don't be silly. They do care about customers, otherwise their business didn't even exist. I personally hate dealing with customers, but I was working with them few years ago, and I know if you want to succeed - you have to be dedicated. Also MS are working on bringing Denim currently for least. Also we should expect (probably this month) an update for Xbox Music as well.

Also, I'm currently installing an update on my phone. Not sure what's in it.

Edit 1. It's Denim. Got "Hey Cortana" and can use the Camera 5.

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

I agree with you. It is obvious as for some devices denim rolled out for the oem phones while the country variant devices still pending. Ans of course with such an "old" phone like the 1520 MS would welcome some users switching to 930 or so. But also they roll out in stages as they are concerned about the reliability of the Denim upgrade and therefore be able to pull the plug quickly if something went went wrong.
Well Denim was said to be released for Q4/2014 now delayed to Q1/2015. Also last year Belfiore stated WP8 devices receive at least two major upgrades, namely GDR1 and GDR, officially. Well I wouldn't say MS is worse than competitors with their update policy but they have a lot to catch up if they want WP to be competitive with other mobile OS. Also what they did by denying an upgrade for the 7.x devices got many users mad at them.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Don't be silly. They do care about customers, otherwise their business didn't even exist. I personally hate dealing with customers, but I was working with them few years ago, and I know if you want to succeed - you have to be dedicated. Also MS are working on bringing Denim currently for least. Also we should expect (probably this month) an update for Xbox Music as well.

Also, I'm currently installing an update on my phone. Not sure what's in it.

Edit 1. It's Denim. Got "Hey Cortana" and can use the Camera 5.

Good for you! While we are still waiting for the update in Asia. Being impatience? Sure we can have more patience. But for how long? How much patience we need? Is easy to say we need to have patience but if you are being the last one in the queue (especially there are so much more older models under 1520), how long do we have to wait? The most frustrating thing is while we are still waiting patiently for Denim, MS already announced Windows 10 for phone. And in order to try that, we need Denim and Denim is still nowhere in sight.

Anyways, nothing else we can do at the moment. Is all nothing but a waiting game. It will be the same for Windows 10 as well.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Good for you! While we are still waiting for the update in Asia. Being impatience? Sure we can have more patience. But for how long? How much patience we need? Is easy to say we need to have patience but if you are being the last one in the queue (especially there are so much more older models under 1520), how long do we have to wait? The most frustrating thing is while we are still waiting patiently for Denim, MS already announced Windows 10 for phone. And in order to try that, we need Denim and Denim is still nowhere in sight.

Anyways, nothing else we can do at the moment. Is all nothing but a waiting game. It will be the same for Windows 10 as well.

My 1520 received Cyan somewhere in the middle of the roll-out. Also, because of the PfD issue and Cyan, I downgraded my phone 3 times because I was thinking that Cyan was available for my phone and because I was impatient to wait until MS will fix the PfD issue. I know what impatience is, don't need others to tell me.

If you don't like the updating system at MS - get an Android, preferably for the same price range as 520 which still receives updates. Otherwise, wait.

dozer167a

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Has has anyone in the UK with a sim free 1520 got the Demin update yet?
No one has the official OTA Denim update yet on a UK CV 1520 in the UK, other than the Vodafone sim locked variant....I'm waiting for it myself, though I'm in no hurry as I'm enjoying my phone as it is at the moment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss