Anyone replace the glass camera lens cover?

flapadlr

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I asked about this a while back, checking for an update since I will finally try to do it this time.

I would like advice on removing the broken pieces of glass that remain. There is a circular area around the chip and I removed all broken glass around that but the wider area has the broken glass in it. I could not seem to get any more to come out with tweezers.

I see I can but a replacement piece of glass and a custom piece of two-sided tape on eBay out of Hong Kong. I am in Florida.

If anyone has performed this operation, please chime in! Thanks.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I've done it a couple of times. Want to PM or post a pic?

Are you talking about the recessed area, where the glass is black? If so, you'll have to pry it all out, then put the two sided tape down, then the new lens.

BTW - I bought a replacement tape/lens item from FL. Cost more than HK, but you get it a whole lot faster.

Edit: Sorry, in CA. Here's the item number: 231318313855

flapadlr

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
You nailed it, the recessed area with the black glass covering it.

I see that item on eBay. Mine has been broken for months. Why does it appear the middle is missing on the part? Is that because it is clear? I know that is logically the answer, just making sure.

Thank you.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it's clear.

One caution, which probably is self evident, but I messed up the first time: it is a PITA to place a donut tape without it folding on itself. I figured it's a small area, so I took the backing off both sides, and proceeded to ruin the tape. Just leave one side on until you have it in place, and it'll make life easier.

You can use an eyeglass screwdriver or something similar to get the remaining glass out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss