1520 screen repair?

pulkit10

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Shattered the outer glass on mine and after doing some research, it's pretty obvious that it is near impossible to just replace the outer glass so I'll likely have to buy the whole display assembly. Don't mind it too much - apart from the steep cost.

Has anyone done this assembly replacement? I've seen the replacement videos and a lot of small parts to remove and put back together so I'm nervous. Any things going wrong after the repair?

I would get it repaired through an official source but am in Calgary, Canada and Nokia Canada (or Microsoft) says they cannot repair the phone since it isn't sold in this country officially and they don't have the neccessary components (thanks for rewarding me for buying your products, Microsoft). Almost out of luck on this one so thinking of diving in myself. Will appreciate any feedback from people who've gone through the ordeal!

Only other choices are waiting for a successor or downgrading to a 930 - don't want to do since I loose about 1000 mAh battery there.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Check out PALCO (don't know if they do Canadian repairs) or a reputable, local repair shop.

Search for (and download) 'Lumia 1520 Service Manual' - it has an exploded view of all the components, as well as a step by step process for dis-assembling the Lumia 1520.

Good Luck ...

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
It's not too hard to do. The most aggravating part is getting small size Torx screwdrivers, which pretty much have to be ordered online.

If you slow, take your time, and follow the directions, you can get through it. A key thing is to not force any snap connectors when reassembling. If they are not lined up right, and you force them, you can damage them.

I take a sheet of paper, and write the sizes and labels of everything I will take apart. That way, it's all ready to go back together.

pulkit10

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Check out PALCO (don't know if they do Canadian repairs) or a reputable, local repair shop.

Search for (and download) 'Lumia 1520 Service Manual' - it has an exploded view of all the components, as well as a step by step process for dis-assembling the Lumia 1520.

Good Luck ...

I think they're US only unfortunately. The Canadian "repair partner" for Nokia doesn't have the necessary parts available.

And yeah, I have the manual. Just wondering if there's anything I should be aware of (vibration motor not working after the repair etc). Still a complicated procedure to put it mildly

pulkit10

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
It's not too hard to do. The most aggravating part is getting small size Torx screwdrivers, which pretty much have to be ordered online.

If you slow, take your time, and follow the directions, you can get through it. A key thing is to not force any snap connectors when reassembling. If they are not lined up right, and you force them, you can damage them.

I take a sheet of paper, and write the sizes and labels of everything I will take apart. That way, it's all ready to go back together.

Ah thanks for that. Gives me some confidence

Know the size of the screwdrivers by any chance?

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
It definitely can be done and fairly easel if you take your time. I did manage to knock off one of the connectors that hits the wireless charging flex in the back cover. But, that was just because I got careless after taking the phone apart for the 10th time trying to figure out why my proximity sensor wasn't working. Turned out to just be a faulty LCD window where the sensor sits. But, this was my first time ever disassembling a phone and the only concern I ran into that's legitimate is the vibration motor not working afterwards. I have a couple coming firm China (tvc mall) and that she hopefully clear up that problem. But, its pretty well known to happen when you replace the LCD apparently.

Oh, and you need a torx 2 & 5 screwdriver. T2 is only for one screw. The rest are T5. Check out repairsuniverse for the LCD. Not sure they ship to Canada though. Great customer service and their parts are original.

pulkit10

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
It definitely can be done and fairly easel if you take your time. I did manage to knock off one of the connectors that hits the wireless charging flex in the back cover. But, that was just because I got careless after taking the phone apart for the 10th time trying to figure out why my proximity sensor wasn't working. Turned out to just be a faulty LCD window where the sensor sits. But, this was my first time ever disassembling a phone and the only concern I ran into that's legitimate is the vibration motor not working afterwards. I have a couple coming firm China (tvc mall) and that she hopefully clear up that problem. But, its pretty well known to happen when you replace the LCD apparently.

Oh, and you need a torx 2 & 5 screwdriver. T2 is only for one screw. The rest are T5. Check out repairsuniverse for the LCD. Not sure they ship to Canada though. Great customer service and their parts are original.
Amazing stuff! Thanks!

Guess ill just have to do without vibration until they release a successor.

But all that information really helps. Thanks!

Edit: ended up ordering it from repairsuniverse. Definitely a little steep at $250 but oh well, gotta bite the bullet.

Last edited:

aleunge

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Hmm... it might be a little late, but got my replacement LCD/glass/frame assembly off the bay shipped to Canada for $135US. Working great. The only issue is light leak around the two long edges because it wasn't initially bonded very well. Some epoxy seems to have fixed it. And I might have gotten better quality replacements if I didn't pay for the absolute cheapest....... (although mine was already "A" quality with a no dead pixel and light spots guarantee; also included T3 torx screw driver and guitar pick like tool for prying)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss