02-02-2015 01:25 PM
59 123
tools
    I noticed his 1520 didn't suffer from any of the hardware defects that others have complained about on this forum.
    His would not. It would have been thoroughly tested before the presentation. That said I am not sure the problems with the 1520 are as widespread as may think they are based on what we see and read here. Its really a damn good device!
    aaron j and pwrof3 like this.
    01-22-2015 05:08 AM
    I noticed his 1520 didn't suffer from any of the hardware defects that others have complained about on this forum.
    That was pretty unbelievable but then again I had a Corvair back in the day and it would sometimes go weeks without flipping over in a turn. Miracles do happen.
    SpaceyO, pwrof3 and kwambe5 like this.
    01-22-2015 05:36 AM
    If you read the verge news,then you should had seen at the last of the page.A windows 10 document was opened in a lumia 630 or 35.
    Good news for Low end device holders too.
    01-22-2015 06:27 AM
    Well, it was really the only option for him to use. The size let him show off things like the shrinking keyboard for one-handed typing. It's the only large-screen device running the Snapdragon 800 SoC (with the 930 being the only other Lumia). Honestly, the 930 would be the only option, and it just wouldn't pop like the 1520 would on-stage.

The thing is barely relevant now. It wasn't highly successful. The green variant was already retired by AT&T. Its SoC is almost 2 years old (released Q2 2013). The only reason it's a high-end Windows Phone is because Microsoft completely bypassed any flagship release in 2014. Negligence is why it's relevant to the platform, and I can't help but hope MWC leads to a 1530 (and a 940, if not a 1030) that puts this thing to shame, carrying a Snapdragon 810 and its big.LITTLE octa-core setup.
    01-22-2015 06:46 AM
    Well, it was really the only option for him to use. The size let him show off things like the shrinking keyboard for one-handed typing. It's the only large-screen device running the Snapdragon 800 SoC (with the 930 being the only other Lumia). Honestly, the 930 would be the only option, and it just wouldn't pop like the 1520 would on-stage.

The thing is barely relevant now. It wasn't highly successful. The green variant was already retired by AT&T. Its SoC is almost 2 years old (released Q2 2013). The only reason it's a high-end Windows Phone is because Microsoft completely bypassed any flagship release in 2014. Negligence is why it's relevant to the platform, and I can't help but hope MWC leads to a 1530 (and a 940, if not a 1030) that puts this thing to shame, carrying a Snapdragon 810 and its big.LITTLE octa-core setup.
    And yet...despite what you refer to as its irrelevance, it was the medium that afforded you a glimpse of W10.
    01-22-2015 08:38 AM
    Frustrating because the 1520 featured at the event today was the RM-938, which I would now buy in a heart beat if it were sold in the US. I had some worries about it being too big before, but the adjustable keyboard puts those worries to rest.
    RM 938 | B&H Photo Video

RumoredNow likes this.
    01-22-2015 09:38 AM
    I haven't heard a hint of anything from Win10 that suggests that improvements have been made which will enhance the phablet experience. Obviously, not everything was revealed so perhaps it is coming later. Regardless, that is something I really hope to see from MS.
    01-22-2015 09:40 AM
    Basically all that Lumia 1520 RM-938 means is that the phone comes unlocked and Qi Wireless Enabled. The AT&T version has the Qi replaced with PMA which requires a case (it's why the the three metal dots are on the back of the phone). I'm not actually sure, but it appears that the model (better picture of it's backside. The 1520 in the photo on Daniel Rubino's most recent article doesn't seem to have the metal dots on the back, which leads me to believe it's the RM-938.
    sorry but my AT&T has the 3 dots in the back and it does NOT have the Qi charging... also my phone is the RM-940 1520.2 version... so I don't know why your coming to this conclusion...
    01-22-2015 10:28 AM
    Hmmm, So does this mean........ 1530 confirmed?
    01-22-2015 11:08 AM
    Someone did jokingly say "After Seahawks win the Superbowl", so after that and before Chinese New Year?
    That could mean never then 😱
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-22-2015 11:12 AM
    After Seahawks win the Superbowl
    But what if they don't win, like according to bing predictions.
    01-22-2015 11:14 AM
    And yet...despite what you refer to as its irrelevance, it was the medium that afforded you a glimpse of W10.
    What's your point? I mean, they could have shown off Windows 10 on other devices, given the limited feature set that they previewed. They could have run the 1320 out there to show off the adjustable keyboard, and most any Windows Phone device could have shown off the things like the notification center, general UI, and settings.

The device is large and vibrant as an on-stage model, and the screen size shows off a keyboard trick which might or might not be available on the smaller devices. Again, all the 1520's presence did is acknowledge Microsoft's sheer lack of quality devices. I mean, they had to use a device Nokia developed and released because they've so far been incapable of releasing a flagship, or any high-quality device.
    01-22-2015 02:27 PM
    I thought it was a great way to show the existing 1520 owners that their phones weren't going to become obsolete once the new OS is released.

...and they did announce that new flagship Windows 10 phones were coming.
    Big Papa Smurf likes this.
    01-22-2015 03:42 PM
    sorry but my AT&T has the 3 dots in the back and it does NOT have the Qi charging... also my phone is the RM-940 1520.2 version... so I don't know why your coming to this conclusion...
    Well, because you have the ATT version.. It doesn't have Qi charging. It's also not the RM938. So I'm confused what conclusion you're coming to. Since what he said and and you said are the same...
    Help a brotha out!
    EssThree likes this.
    01-22-2015 03:52 PM
    Well, because you have the ATT version.. It doesn't have Qi charging. It's also not the RM938. So I'm confused what conclusion you're coming to. Since what he said and and you said are the same...
    Help a brotha out!
    because he came to the conclusion that it was an international RM938 version with Qi charging, because he saw the 3 metal dots on the back of the phone, well my phone has the 3 dots and it isn't a 938 version nor does it have the Qi charging... which is what I was saying brutha
    01-22-2015 06:21 PM
    because he came to the conclusion that it was an international RM938 version with Qi charging, because he saw the 3 metal dots on the back of the phone, well my phone has the 3 dots and it isn't a 938 version nor does it have the Qi charging... which is what I was saying brutha

The 1520 in the photo on Daniel Rubino's most recent article doesn't seem to have the metal dots on the back, which leads me to believe it's the RM-938.
    I think you might have misread.

I have a tendency to skim rather than reading carefully, so I can sympathize. No worries.
    EssThree likes this.
    01-22-2015 06:37 PM
    I am hearing not all of the phones will get the update which is fine with me I want the operating system for the lap top it is already on while I decide which phone to move to
    01-22-2015 06:49 PM

I think you might have misread.

I have a tendency to skim rather than reading carefully, so I can sympathize. No worries.
    ahh ok my bad lol
    jwinch2 likes this.
    01-22-2015 09:14 PM
    Are people really this needy and desperate for validation? Some seem to be responding as if their child just won some honor and got their picture in a newspaper. I am sorry but they obviously needed a big phone and it is the only option at the moment. The only meaningful thing that has been said about existing Lumia models is that they should all be upgradeable. I expect once they vacated the stage it got tossed in a box until the next press event that requires a big device....
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-23-2015 12:05 AM
    What were his options besides the 1520?

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk
    Lol -->Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk
    01-23-2015 12:24 AM
    Obviously he used the Lumia 1520 because it's the most powerful windows phone device nobody wants an embarrassing lag when doing a presentation plus the two main flagships note are 930 and 1520
    01-23-2015 12:52 AM
    Are people really this needy and desperate for validation? Some seem to be responding as if their child just won some honor and got their picture in a newspaper. I am sorry but they obviously needed a big phone and it is the only option at the moment. The only meaningful thing that has been said about existing Lumia models is that they should all be upgradeable. I expect once they vacated the stage it got tossed in a box until the next press event that requires a big device....
    Why should they need a big phone as what was happening on the phone was directly projected to the big screen? And for the big phone thing, 1520 is not the only option. There is a phone named 1320 which happens to have just as big screen. They chose 1520 as it is currently the most high-end flagship. Your argument is completely invalid.
    01-23-2015 03:19 AM
    Exactly. The AT&T version has the three dots to enable the Qi case to fit over the at&t PMI back cover. You've just completely confirmed his conclusion that the one on stage was the rm-938, and not the rm-940 (at&t varient)
    01-23-2015 11:51 AM
    Exactly. The AT&T version has the three dots to enable the Qi case to fit over the at&t PMI back cover. You've just completely confirmed his conclusion that the one on stage was the rm-938, and not the rm-940 (at&t varient)
    What ???

Confusion reigns ... the AT&T version RM-940 uses an extra (add on) PMA back cover to charge on a PMA charging pad (it won't work on a QI charging pad unless you utilize one of those QI add ons which plug into your micro USB).
    The International version RM-938 has QI wireless charging built in to the phone & works with a QI charging pad (& conversely will NOT work with a PMA charging pad).

Recent developments have spawned QI / PMA charging pads being readied for sale - YES, they'll work with both protocols for wireless charging. There is a third protocol which slips my mind.
    threewulfmoon likes this.
    01-23-2015 03:24 PM
    The Lumia 1520 has my favourite spec combination of all the currently available Winpho handsets, so this pleased me. I just put a whole bunch of music on my mum's 1520 today and I swear, every time I go back to my Lumia 920 I'm a little bit sad!

The whole deal with AT&T really screwed the device over, though. The international version is everything you guys should have gotten.
    01-23-2015 03:51 PM
59 123