Where Can I Buy a 32gb 1520 for AT&T?

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
So. . . . I have always babied my 1520. I have, after whining and waiting for ATT to offer the 32GB model, been using such a model since April. I use a screen protector but the "subscreen" which is critical to the digitizer functions, which somehow cracked. I can't remember the phone falling or being pressured in any way, but whatever. Its cracked and its not working. So, okay, ATT, I love this thing, ship me another ASAP. Its on my desk next day, only its not the 32GB model, its the 16GB. So I call em up and turns out they don't carry the 32GB model. It took some barking to convince them that they once did, that I didn't assemble my old phone in my garage. Microsoft Store its ownself, has to be educated that it ever offered a 32GB model and they don't have one either, and have no clues as to where I might buy one. I know I can take a chance and get one off Amazon or Ebay and take a flyer that it will be okay and that I will be able to run it on ATT.

But does anyone have a recommendation as to where I can get one? 32GB, not 16GB. And should I opt instead for a non-ATT model to take advantage of built-in wireless charging? And if so, where? Thanks in advance.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Re: Where Can I Buy a 32gb 1520 for AT&T?

B&H Photo carries the RM938 which has 32GB and wireless charging and its fully compatible with ATT.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies! I had tried the Amazon route, but its a business account and it won't let me buy at less than the full, non-contract price. And I think, from the replies, what I really want is the 1520.3, aka, RM-938, aka Unicorn? Because of Qi charging and full ATT compatibility. I can't access the settings from my broken one and I don't recall if it was a different model number, at 32GB, than it was at 16GB (RM-940). There was confusion when ordering, and when checking inventory, on this point, with both Microsoft Store and ATT, between the 32GB and 16GB models.

legend921

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I would probably just go to BHphotovideo or Newegg, they both sell the RM938. You get all the features you want and Qi charging built in and all the bands you need Fr full ATT service.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
If you go the ebay route, a couple of things to keep in mind:
- eBay's return policy is quite liberal. If it's not as described, you can get a refund. Not as described would include physical description, functionality, and/or clean IMEI status.
- so, get it, test it, and if there's an issue, contact the seller. If the seller is non-responsive, initiate a return in their system. Contact the seller first though.
- the ebay catalog only includes 32GB models, which means you may need to ask the seller to verify its capacity. I sold one on ebay, w/o checking that, and it was returned for that reason. I'm sure the buyer thought I was trying to rip them off, but I really had no idea that their catalog was wrong. I make sure to note that in listings now (although I've not had any 1520's to sell in a very long time).

So, in spite of what people may think, ebay is skewed towards buyers, to the detriment of sellers. I both buy and sell on ebay. It is waaaaayyyyy easier to get scammed as a seller than a buyer. In fact, I complain to ebay about their antagonism towards sellers all the time.

I wouldn't hesitate too much about buying one on ebay, if you can find one you like at a price that works for you.

Swappa requires the IMEI to be clean, and they require pictures of the item with an identifying number, so that Swappa can verify its condition. This may give you some comfort.

If you buy through the marketplace here, at the price point you will be at, I would have the seller send me an invoice in PayPal. That way, you an use PayPal's dispute system if something is wrong. PayPal is just as obnoxious to sellers as ebay, so you're protected pretty well as a buyer.

I don't use Amazon too much, because they are even worse for sellers, and I generally can find better deals elsewhere.

Maybe look all of the sites, and find your best deal. You're likely protected as a buyer no matter.

I will say that I bought windows tablet as a gift or Christmas, from a major web-based electronics retailer. It was new, but the screen had a pinkish tint to it, that was not easy to adjust. It has been a process to get a refund.

I will get the refund eventually, but here we are a month after Christmas, and they have the item and my money, and they tell me it will be at least another week. Watch for restocking fees too. If you buy at some of the sites mentioned in these threads, read the fine print carefully regarding returns.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I really appreciate the advices. I have had generally good experiences with Ebay, on phone buys and otherwise. I notice that the battery on the RIM-938 is not the same as the higher RIM-940 model. Is the battery life essentially the same?

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
All 1520 variants have the same 3400 mAh battery. Maybe a misprint on a spec list that you saw?

It's strange, the EBay 1520.3 appears to have been bought from Newegg, where the description of the 1520.3 shows the standard 3400 battery. But the Ebay description shows it as 2370 mAh? I will inquire to the seller. Was there some earlier version available with a lesser capacity battery?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's strange, the EBay 1520.3 appears to have been bought from Newegg, where the description of the 1520.3 shows the standard 3400 battery. But the Ebay description shows it as 2370 mAh? I will inquire to the seller. Was there some earlier version available with a lesser capacity battery?

eBay misprint of spec happens sometimes... Careless/busy seller usually repeating a form and misses a change.

There was never a 1520 with a 2370 mAh battery. Interestingly enough, a web search for "nokia lumia 2370 mAh" leads to this rumored and never produced 1520v or 1520 mini with a hypothetical 2370 mAh battery. There was never a production Lumia with 2370 mAh that I can find.

Lumia 1520V Leaked Again; 768p 4.4? Screen and 2,370 mah Battery : My Nokia Blog - 200

So maybe the seller just read a headline of the "leak" and decided that is what he has?

Kevin Harvell

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I always thought AT&T only carried the 16GB version hence why the 1520.3 model is so popular. Well that and the fact it has Qi charging.

It is a shame that BH says the black 1520.3 has been discontinued, at least in their system it is. I had thought about selling my 16GB and stepping up to that one a while back but never did.

aschettler

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, i would suggest k keeping the 16GB 1520 you received and buying a 64GB microSD card. Specifically, the SanDisk Extreme Plus 64GB card (the UHS-I card with UHS speed class 3). I bought this card on sale from Best Buy and it works very well. I don't store all of my apps on it, but when I save all of my music, photos, and videos to it, it works great. It's fast enough for 4k, too, when Denim arrives. PNY also sells a 64GB UHS-I speed class 3 card that is rated up to 95MB/s. But definitely get it on sale. Best Buy has been selling the SanDisk card for $70. 64GB UHS-I speed class 3 cards usually go for $200.

ElronTheElder

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Got a factory refurbished Red 16Gb 940 for less than $300 on ebay from Cellularstream.
Arrived in mint condition only included item was a charger and cable.
Received an unlock code from AT&T but with a new sim it never required it.
My limited time experience has been wonderful.
I can recommend going this route for more adventurous souls.
Expecting this phone to last until the next promised flagship, [at least].
At that time the "latest and greatest" might win out. I don't know for certain.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I always thought AT&T only carried the 16GB version hence why the 1520.3 model is so popular. Well that and the fact it has Qi charging.

It is a shame that BH says the black 1520.3 has been discontinued, at least in their system it is. I had thought about selling my 16GB and stepping up to that one a while back but never did.

B&H has a couple of used black 1520.3 as of yesterday, 1/25/2015. No matter who you buy from, the international version does not come with a warranty. I've see Newegg state a warranty but I have no experience if this is true. The demand for the .3 is high now and probably will go higher since MS announced that the new High End WP won't happen for a few months. AND, there are no leaked specs on such phone so the .3 may be as good or better spec wise as the new model.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: Where Can I Buy a 32gb 1520 for AT&T?

If you aren't getting your phone on contract/subsidized, the only reason to not get a 1520.3 is warranty, though I think b&h might offer an aftermarket one.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I already have a 64GB microSD card. I know opinions vary on this, but I found that some apps ran better from the device than when run from the microSD card. I will concede it was hard for me to really know whether the issue with the app was its location, or whether it was just a buggy app. And it cuts against my grain and my history, to buy a lower capacity model when a higher one is available. It is often the case that a sales rep will tell you that "you don't need that much power, or space, or memory, unless you're running cad programs. . . " Cut to a year and a half later and I'm bumping up against limits and the device is bogging down. Where I have ignored the expert advice and overbought, it has been gratifying to not have to worry about space for the life of a device. And then there's the on-board charging. . . .I do appreciate the advice aschettler, and if Microsoft had announced a new 6 inch flagship last week, I might be inclined to hunker down and make due. But they haven't and its probably worth to me to go for 1520.3/

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb