What happens if skip Denim and go for Windows 10 for phone ( if available first )?

j3angerz

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
what happen if skip denim and go for windows 10 for phone ( if available first )

I have lumia 1520 att running cyan + gdr1 preview . Since there is no sight of att about they denim update schedule so I wondering that what happen If the windows 10 preview come up first and I really want to try it out as soon as it come , what do I lost without denim ??? will all good stuff about lumia camera 5.0 like rich capture , 4k , better camera improvements , speed .... on windows 10 for phone preview ??? or I just lost them for good ???

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: what happen if skip denim and go for windows 10 for phone ( if available first )

what happen if skip denim and go for windows 10 for phone ( if available first )

History implodes and the dinosaurs return with an attitude. This time it is personal.

UncleGrandpa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: what happen if skip denim and go for windows 10 for phone ( if available first )

Icon users will probably have no choice if its up to VZN.

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site

Good question. I thought I had read that Windows 10 will include these advanced camera apps; not sure though if the upcoming preview will include them or not.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

Good question. I thought I had read that Windows 10 will include these advanced camera apps; not sure though if the upcoming preview will include them or not.

You need the firmware update from Denim to let those apps work. Preview does not include firmware so the apps will not work. Only OS updates will work.

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site

You need the firmware update from Denim to let those apps work. Preview does not include firmware so the apps will not work. Only OS updates will work.

Thanks for the clarification. Will the final 10 OS include the needed firmware updates, you suppose? I am hoping it will be a moot point if Denim comes out before the 10 preview.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the clarification. Will the final 10 OS include the needed firmware updates, you suppose? I am hoping it will be a moot point if Denim comes out before the 10 preview.

Not sure, it could be that OS 10 includes "everything" (like a service pack in windows) or that you first need denim and than W 10.

But indeed lets hope denim will be available before the windows preview.

And probably you can download W10 preview with out having Denim. And if Denim comes it can be installed to get the firmware.
But this still needs to be confirmed by Microsoft.

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site

Kinda wondering the same myself. I had (and returned) a 930 with Denim. The camera was good, hey cortana just okay (the only two reasons why Denim matters).

Now back to my AT&T 1520. Denim is neat and all, but I'm left wondering if Win 10 preview will have the Denim level API stuff included.

I'm inclined to think not. After all, the Win 10 preview on my SP3 was busted all to hell. Terrible. Restored 8.1 in a jiffy.

I'm betting the WP10 preview will be very rough. If so, I'll keep waiting on Denim just for the camera firmware.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Simple thing would be to just wait for Denim then install Windows 10 afterwards, it's not going anywhere.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I don't think installing 10 before Denim will cause any issues.

corby lambert

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

I am in the same situation. I have att L1520 dev preview 8.1.1 but no Denim. Unless Microsoft says otherwise I'll just wait on ATT for denim before trying preview of Windows 10

j3angerz

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
thank guys but I think it doesn't matter for me now cuz my att 1520's screen got a problem , it glitchy as hell and I think this is the right time for me to make a switch so i bought for myself a new international version of 1520 with official cyan firmware build in and it run fantastic , the phone doesn't overheat often like old one and battery time very good too , so if w10 available first i guess i will flashing it to finland rom and got denim and then move on to w10 :)

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it, all 8.x updates til now have been fine updating the software, then going back and doing the firmware, I dont think there would be much issues this time, at worst I think some features might be broken without the firmware update

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, well if its all the same to you guys, I am going to wait the 1 or 2 years for Denim to come to my 1520 before W10 preview. In lieu of one of the Microsoft guys coming on and saying otherwise, I will not deal in speculation. This, especially after there was a bitlocker problem that had nothing to do with me when I had Dev Preview and I couldn't get Cyan.

floppyedonkey

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
In lieu of one of the Microsoft guys coming on and saying otherwise, I will not deal in speculation

Yes everything is speculation so far and no one can tell you other wise at this point how the Windows 10 preview will work. Answers will come shortly after the preview is released.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3