WHY? Really want to undersand. (+denim +operatorsfree)

denispage

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I really would like to understand why an unlocked operator-free country variant (like 1520) have to wait SO LONG to receive an update like Denim and others. Specially because THERE IS NO OPERATOR in the middle.
That's very strange and non logical thing.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Surely its obvious.

With an unlocked phone, Microsoft have to make sure it works on ALL carriers, before updating. So in this sort of scenario carrier unlocked is the worst!

You think you are annoyed now, imagine if they just released the phone the minute the MS part is done, and you find you can't get calls or data on your phone network.

I pray the OS and the phone subpart are very seperate in WP10, so MS can upgrade everything easily, with the exception of the "phone" drivers.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
A possible explanation to it is that unlike most other models 1520 gets actual new firmware along with some very major new features with Denim and thus the longer than expected wait.
But ur right 6 months since initial release is still pretty long for a flagship.

denispage

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Surely its obvious.

With an unlocked phone, Microsoft have to make sure it works on ALL carriers, before updating. So in this sort of scenario carrier unlocked is the worst!

You think you are annoyed now, imagine if they just released the phone the minute the MS part is done, and you find you can't get calls or data on your phone network.

I pray the OS and the phone subpart are very seperate in WP10, so MS can upgrade everything easily, with the exception of the "phone" drivers.

That's not true since the most 'complete' one from Finland (unlocked and unbranded) was the FIRST to receive the update.
And, 920 Country Variant was the first one to receive the Cyan update.
Without these two explanations, I would buy your argument.
Is there any 1520.3 with Denim in the world?

denispage

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
A possible explanation to it is that unlike most other models 1520 gets actual new firmware along with some very major new features with Denim and thus the longer than expected wait.
But ur right 6 months since initial release is still pretty long for a flagship.

I would believe on that if 1520 from Finland wasn't the first one received the update.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I really would like to understand why an unlocked operator-free country variant (like 1520) have to wait SO LONG to receive an update like Denim and others. Specially because THERE IS NO OPERATOR in the middle.
That's very strange and non logical thing.

Probably everyone wants to understand this. But nobody here knows the real answer. Only Microsoft (probably) knows it but they will not tell it.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok, there isn't just the one Country Variant firmware per handset, there's one per country per handset. If it were the same firmware, it would be a GV (global variant). There's different country variants that conform to different the legal, compliance and technical constraints for each country.

There's currently over 2500 variants of Denim across all Lumia handsets for all regions and carriers. Every one of those has to be tested by both Microsoft and any Carrier involved. Obviously given the number of variants, they can't be tested at once.

Release schedule depends on:-
* market demand (currently popular handsets/carriers get priority)
* when the testing is complete and signed off (any issues require analysis, rework and retesting)
* when there's an available release slot in the update cycle

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The bottom line? Microsoft gains nothing by delaying or ignoring this update. They want to silence critics.

They will update everyone when they can and as stable as possible.

There is nothing personal about when you receive your update.

denispage

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
The bottom line? Microsoft gains nothing by delaying or ignoring this update. They want to silence critics.

They will update everyone when they can and as stable as possible.

There is nothing personal about when you receive your update.

I do believe on that. Still waiting for Denim on my l1520.3

squibcakes

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I think we, as a WP8.1 community, sometimes get a little crazy about updates. Granted, the updated camera will be great, as well as the Hey Cortana feature, but it seems as though many in the community are into getting updates just for the sake of getting updates. The 1520 is an awesome phone. Enjoy it for what it is and Denim will be here before you know it.

Nakazul

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I for my part think its obvious why the rollout is so slow. Look how Windows Phone have changed (and other OS's). There are so many deals on the table with American carriers and exclusive deals. MSFT could have easily pushed the update but the slow carriers would be a year behind by then and that's not acceptable to them and its users, so the rest of the work have to suffer. This used to be a no issue. A guess is also that its not helping moving such a large organization as Nokia and it have caused delays all over the board for MSFT's mobile solutions. But there is definitely politics involved here.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I for my part think its obvious why the rollout is so slow. Look how Windows Phone have changed (and other OS's). There are so many deals on the table with American carriers and exclusive deals. MSFT could have easily pushed the update but the slow carriers would be a year behind by then and that's not acceptable to them and its users, so the rest of the work have to suffer. This used to be a no issue. A guess is also that its not helping moving such a large organization as Nokia and it have caused delays all over the board for MSFT's mobile solutions. But there is definitely politics involved here.

Your point would be valid for the versions that come via the carriers. The OP is asking about phones that are not tied to a carrier like the 1520.3 variation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital