How can I save the high-def photo only on my Nokia Camera?

Sarah Williamson1

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Nokia Camera and Pro Cam

Hello.

Just upgraded, recently, to a flash new 1520 and I absolutely love it! So big, clear and brilliant to use. However I have just discovered, this morning, that I cannot fix or set the camera function in one particular area.

I noticed that a 5mp photo gets saved along with a high-def photo when I use the Pro Cam - which I don't want to stop using because I love it - but when I went into the settings of it, I found that I cannot only keep the high-def photo alone, it is either the small res photo alone or the small and high def together and that's it, I cannot just save the high-def photo alone and if I delete the photo, they both delete.

Is there any way I can just save the high-def photo alone, by downloading an app of some sort? Would a photo file manager help? I just don't see the point in putting such a fabulous camera on a phone and having it automatically set with such stupid options.

Any help or advice will be much appreciated.

Thank you, from Sarah.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nokia Camera and Pro Cam

Hey Sarah... Welcome to the 1520. It is a magnificent beast.

Many, like you, have puzzled over this aspect of the camera and want to customize their experience just as you say. Keep only the High Res.

Those 5MP pics aren't really 5MP though. They are more akin to 5MP+ due to the oversampling. It is designed for ease in sharing. Email, MMS "picture text", upload to web sites and file hosts... It's all easier and a better fit with the 5MP oversampled file and has the added benefit of allowing better image quality than a traditional 5MP pic.

You can get rid of them just as Harrie says, use File App on the phone or File Browser on your PC. However, the Photo App is looking for the 5MP file. You also have to rename the High Res Image to get the Photo App to "see" the files so you can view them. It is instructed by its code to ignore the files ending Pro_highres.jpg and you will not only have to go through and delete any 5MP pics, you will also have to rename all the High Res files!!!

That's a fair bit of work and best done via computer and File Browser, IMHO. You are going to spend a lot of time on this if you are taking any decent amount of pictures... and with the 1520 it's always tempting to take a bunch of pics.

I started out on 1520 snapping pics in 16:9, 5MP jpg + 16MP jpg... And that really isn't the camera's strength. I've changed to 16:9, 5MP jpg + 16MP DNG. Here's the reasoning I use. Those 5MP files are just too convenient as a size to get rid of. At my phone screen resolution they show ton's of detail and are crystal clear when zoomed in on. And what a PITA to get rid of them and still have a readily viewable and sharable pic on my phone! The DNG files are made to edit without loss of details so they are really more valuable than High Res jpg in that regard, but they are more for manipulation than viewing so again the 5MP file comes in handy.

And if I'm taking some pics that I know are transitory, I simply set my camera to take the 5MP jpg only and then set it back after the shoot...

Now that I've made such a long story of this post, I'll shorten it down and that short answer will hopefully make more sense to you... In short, you can accomplish what you ask, but it will be a lot of constant upkeep and probably has more deficits than benefits.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos