02-24-2015 03:23 AM
93 1234
tools
    Battery life on my 1520 it's 10x's better than the nite edge. The only good thing about the edge, is the fast charge.
    I have a Sony Z3. Battery lasts me from 3-4 days. My L920 died in less than a day. I used to cringe with the thought of taking it anywhere without a charger or backup. I'm not a heavy user but there are days when I do kill it but then it's still at 50% by the end of a hard day.
    02-16-2015 04:04 PM
    Dude, I was with Verizon and the 822 was my phone for 2 years and I loved it!! That phone is rock solid!! But like you said, Verizon sucks when it comes to supporting WP! Not to mention how overpriced they are. I went to att, got me the 830 and couldn't be happier! Though it is getting old, the 1520 still is a rocking phone. A little too big for my taste. I believe the credit should be $150, at least that's what I got although it might've changed by now but make sure you ask.
    Yeah... I wish I could wait for the new models in a few months with Windows 10 but I checked the specs and the 1520 is still up there with the latest devices running Android. I can live with that for a year or two...
    02-16-2015 04:16 PM
    I'm thinking not too well known ones like an Oppo Find 7 or something might give a good experience too.

I didn't like Nexus devices myself.
    Nexus 5 was an amazing phone minus the ultra horrible battery!
    The OPO is my current Android phone and I really like it. The battery on this phone is insane and it is buttery smooth, no crashes whatsoever and it worked flawlessly on my trip to Singapore, Malaysia, China, India and also stopover countries like Japan and UK.

On Samsung I highly recommend the Google Now Launcher and then things tend to run okay.

I also have a iPhone 5S which does not see much use except streaming music.
    And for my WP I just got a 925 and am probably going to get a 635 to try out Win10 TP.
    02-16-2015 04:32 PM
    A lot of my Note 2 use is the google maps navigation.. I haven't tried my daughters navigation on her Nokia... is there a comparable navigation app to google on the 1520? Gmaps usually does a great job navigating and you could change the voice prompt which is nice.
    02-16-2015 05:04 PM
    A lot of my Note 2 use is the google maps navigation.. I haven't tried my daughters navigation on her Nokia... is there a comparable navigation app to google on the 1520? Gmaps usually does a great job navigating and you could change the voice prompt which is nice.
    Here maps and I think the other one is Here Drive+. With Here Drive+ I think there's an option to change the voice too.
    Last edited by Blkacesvf41; 02-16-2015 at 07:36 PM.
    Michael Dontigney likes this.
    02-16-2015 07:15 PM
    Android is a good Os but its like Windows XP. u will need to format it every month or live with lag

Funny I never experience any lag and never reformat. I'm using an htc one m8.
    02-16-2015 07:42 PM
    I have a Sony Z3. Battery lasts me from 3-4 days. My L920 died in less than a day. I used to cringe with the thought of taking it anywhere without a charger or backup. I'm not a heavy user but there are days when I do kill it but then it's still at 50% by the end of a hard day.
    Lumia 1520 beats any Android phone in battery life that I know off.
    Nokia Lumia 1520 battery life test - GSMArena Blog

This is Z3
    Sony Xperia Z3 battery life test - GSMArena Blog
    Last edited by TechAbstract; 02-16-2015 at 09:15 PM.
    02-16-2015 09:03 PM
    Android is a good Os but its like Windows XP. u will need to format it every month or live with lag
    Windows XP was far more stable than that. Android is more like Windows 95, 98, ME. :)
    02-16-2015 09:10 PM
    To each their own. I have no objection to any OS. I'm very agnostic. I've enjoyed my time with Android so far as I did with WP. I'll probably go back to WP in a year or two... maybe.

I use MS apps on my Android phone. I don't feel too different than what I had on WP. The apps are really nice on Android.
    Ditto. Note 4 is working very good for me. No lags or whatsoever. I dunno what TS did to his Note Edge though. I have a far better experience with Facebook and Whatsapp on Android. But 1520 is doing fine with me too. At least, I don't have the app gap issues with my 1520. I believe both platforms are equally good, depending to individual needs and wants.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    02-16-2015 10:06 PM
    You can get Here maps and navigation on Android as well now. Here maps are excellent with its offline mode.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....here.app.maps
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    02-16-2015 10:07 PM
    Funny I never experience any lag and never reformat.
    Any phone that is not Windows you will see many claim is laggy and must reset frequently. It is a thing they say here which is not in reality. When my windows device sees a resuming screen so often, I think lag would be better. Resuming...resuming... It is maddening. I think I need a factory reset.
    D M C likes this.
    02-16-2015 10:26 PM
    I am just the opposite of the OP. I cant wait to go back to android. I used my note II for the last couple of years with no problem at all and about a month ago switched to an unlocked 1520.3/938. So far I have been a little disappointed with the phone, and very disappointed with the os and apps. I was really looking forward to switching to a windows phone but have come to the conclusion its just not for me and will switch back. This is just my personal experience and I'm very happy for everyone that has had a great experience with windows phones. So if anybody wants to buy a one month old unlocked 1520.3/938 for $350 let me know, I paid 529.00 from B&H Photo.
    02-16-2015 11:32 PM
    I am just the opposite of the OP. I cant wait to go back to android. I used my note II for the last couple of years with no problem at all and about a month ago switched to an unlocked 1520.3/938. So far I have been a little disappointed with the phone, and very disappointed with the os and apps. I was really looking forward to switching to a windows phone but have come to the conclusion its just not for me and will switch back. This is just my personal experience and I'm very happy for everyone that has had a great experience with windows phones. So if anybody wants to buy a one month old unlocked 1520.3/938 for $350 let me know, I paid 529.00 from B&H Photo.
    No need to sell the phone just keep it and have it for other uses. That is what I do. Unless money is needed then I understand.
    02-17-2015 12:36 AM
    Lumia 1520 beats any Android phone in battery life that I know off.
    Nokia Lumia 1520 battery life test - GSMArena Blog

This is Z3
    Sony Xperia Z3 battery life test - GSMArena Blog
    I was referring to my L920, which dies rather quickly. The 1520 is not a phone I want or wanted which is why I had to switch because there was nothing on WP that was interesting to me. I would be very surprised if the 6" 1520 with huge battery couldn't last long. I couldn't even get the M8 as it never got released in the EU. The L930 was not that attractive either.

I use STAMINA mode on my phone that's why the phone lasts that long.
    02-17-2015 02:59 AM
    why I had to switch because there was nothing on WP that was interesting to me
    if there is nothing on WP interesting you, why are you still in WP forums?
    02-17-2015 03:37 AM
    if there is nothing on WP interesting you, why are you still in WP forums?
    Not entirely sure why you're taking my text out of context. I was referring to handsets. I did not say in any way that the OS was not interesting and I still own my L920. Not that I need that as a prerequisite to post on this forum or have friends here.

I was not prepared to just get a phone for the heck of it. I didn't want a low or mid range phone and I'm not one to switch every other month or 6 months or even every year as I buy unlocked flagships. The only reason I went to Android is due to my L920 not being able to keep up with me and what I wanted out of it. I also believe it's good to know what is on other platforms and since I didn't have much experience with Android I thought the experience would be interesting and it is.

Hope that clarifies things for you.
    02-17-2015 03:48 AM
    It's not the OS fault it's TouchWiz.
    Except it IS the fault of the OS when a Nexus device suffers from lag as well!!!

That being said, having flashed the FML Android 5.0 ROM onto my Galaxy Nexus it now lags about as much as my WP i.e. not very much.
    02-17-2015 07:22 AM
    I bought the "Note Edge" and gave my 1520 to my son back in December, because I missed some apps not available on Windows phone. Well after some time with a high end Android phone (not my first), I had to trade my son back.. Though the edge has 3 gig of ram, there's no comparison to the 1520! Though we don't have access to some apps, it just isn't worth putting up with the lag of running Android. Also, I have the Samsung Gear S watch (gift from kids) & still decided to switch back, knowing I'll have to use the watch as a standalone, being it isn't compatible. So, for anyone thinking of switching to Android, if your looking performance, my experience is, windows flagship is the hands down winner over the Android flagship.
    This actually could have been me writing this post as I also have an Edge. Love the phone but as you said, pretty laggy at times. I want it noted that I never said that with previous Android phones but I sometimes think this Edge has to much going on. It's a very nice phone but the fact is, WP runs way smoother. The only thing I didn't like was unavailability of some apps. I'm not into all those apps everyone else complained about but the ones I never could get were ones that you could not work around (banks, medical facilities and the like) but if your phone is big enough, it would probably work ok using the browser. I just really miss WP and live tiles. The integration with your computer is great and now that I have Windows 10, maybe even better. Anyway, as much as I love the Note series, I think I'm heading back to Windows Phone with my next phone (sooner rather than later). Oh and the icing on the cake is that now there is MS watch (Band) although I haven't had a chance to really check it out. Still, WP is definitely getting there. Need more developers to get on board. Come on Microsoft, kick this into high gear already!
    02-17-2015 08:05 AM
    Nice! WP is soooo smoth!
    02-17-2015 08:34 AM
    If you want a decent android experience get a nexus or a moto x.
    Motorola cameras are terrible. The Android experience may be good, but if you want decent pictures, then don't touch anything from Motorola.
    02-17-2015 08:45 AM
    Motorola cameras are terrible. The Android experience may be good, but if you want decent pictures, then don't touch anything from Motorola.
    Quite true, however; people say the Nexus 6 is a LARGE step in the right direction. Some say it rivals iPhone 6+ picture quality.
    02-17-2015 09:02 AM
    It's not the OS fault it's TouchWiz.
    Is Touch Wiz that much of a resource hog?
    02-17-2015 10:44 AM
    Is Touch Wiz that much of a resource hog?
    Not only is it a resource hog, but it's well worth getting rid of. Why do you think the Galaxy 6S is not going to have it anymore? :D
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    02-17-2015 10:48 AM
    it just isn't worth putting up with the lag of running Android.
    Next time, instead of buying a Samsung, buy a good Android device like a Sony, a Motorola or an LG. None of those have any lag as those aren't filled with bloatware.
    Septembersrain likes this.
    02-17-2015 10:55 AM
    There are still some unaccounted for issues with stock IMHO because what I'm understanding is that the only people who do not have lag on Android are running AOSP or something similar without Google Play Services. It's been how many years with Google Play Services now and phones still have lag, even on KitKat?

I understand the whole resuming thing on Windows Phone, but that is not what happens on Android when one experiences lag. I would think that by Lollipop they would have figured that out.

If Windows is only accessing apps intermittently and that provides a smoother experience on WP what is Android doing that users are still stuck with slow phones? I shouldn't need more than 1 GB on a phone. Unless I'm running 30 apps in the background. Something just isn't adding up.
    02-17-2015 10:56 AM
93 1234