Back from Android!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmoon

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
You bought a Samsung. No wonder it was a horrible experience. :p

I would have stuck to WP had they brought out a decent 5" (or around there) flagship. Unfortunately they didn't and I couldn't wait any longer. I have no complaints with Android. I don't suffer any lag at all and I got a battery life that I could only dream of on WP.

Battery life on my 1520 it's 10x's better than the nite edge. The only good thing about the edge, is the fast charge.

millercrew5

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I too like all three systems. Love my nexus 5, but I find myself using my Lumia 928 more often! Can't wait for more windows phones to start rolling out later this year!!!

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
My Verizon 2 year contract is up on the 22nd this month.. I'm a big Windows user at home and work (Work from home using Windows 8.1 for video /photo editing.. yep.. video editing not on a MAC...LOL)> When I signed my contract I get the Galaxy Note 2 and over the past two years this has bee the best phone I've had... that said, my daughter got the cheapo Nokia 822 windows phone and honestly, I've been jealous every time I use it... the OS is just so much more polished and fast even on that low end hardware! So now that my contract is up, I'm switching to a WP.. I want a big screen mostly because I watch movies on my device, and show videos to potential clients on the device, so... 1520 looks like the winner for me. I was waiting for a new model, but looks like I'll be going with AT&T because VZW apparently hates WP's! Right now there is a Next/AT&T deal for $100 credit for each new line with a new phone, we have three so I'd get $300 credit towards my bill. Hard to beat.
Dude, I was with Verizon and the 822 was my phone for 2 years and I loved it!! That phone is rock solid!! But like you said, Verizon sucks when it comes to supporting WP! Not to mention how overpriced they are. I went to att, got me the 830 and couldn't be happier! Though it is getting old, the 1520 still is a rocking phone. A little too big for my taste. I believe the credit should be $150, at least that's what I got although it might've changed by now but make sure you ask.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Battery life on my 1520 it's 10x's better than the nite edge. The only good thing about the edge, is the fast charge.

I have a Sony Z3. Battery lasts me from 3-4 days. My L920 died in less than a day. I used to cringe with the thought of taking it anywhere without a charger or backup. I'm not a heavy user but there are days when I do kill it but then it's still at 50% by the end of a hard day.

Michael Dontigney

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Dude, I was with Verizon and the 822 was my phone for 2 years and I loved it!! That phone is rock solid!! But like you said, Verizon sucks when it comes to supporting WP! Not to mention how overpriced they are. I went to att, got me the 830 and couldn't be happier! Though it is getting old, the 1520 still is a rocking phone. A little too big for my taste. I believe the credit should be $150, at least that's what I got although it might've changed by now but make sure you ask.
Yeah... I wish I could wait for the new models in a few months with Windows 10 but I checked the specs and the 1520 is still up there with the latest devices running Android. I can live with that for a year or two...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking not too well known ones like an Oppo Find 7 or something might give a good experience too.

I didn't like Nexus devices myself.

Nexus 5 was an amazing phone minus the ultra horrible battery!
The OPO is my current Android phone and I really like it. The battery on this phone is insane and it is buttery smooth, no crashes whatsoever and it worked flawlessly on my trip to Singapore, Malaysia, China, India and also stopover countries like Japan and UK.

On Samsung I highly recommend the Google Now Launcher and then things tend to run okay.

I also have a iPhone 5S which does not see much use except streaming music.
And for my WP I just got a 925 and am probably going to get a 635 to try out Win10 TP.

Michael Dontigney

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
A lot of my Note 2 use is the google maps navigation.. I haven't tried my daughters navigation on her Nokia... is there a comparable navigation app to google on the 1520? Gmaps usually does a great job navigating and you could change the voice prompt which is nice.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
A lot of my Note 2 use is the google maps navigation.. I haven't tried my daughters navigation on her Nokia... is there a comparable navigation app to google on the 1520? Gmaps usually does a great job navigating and you could change the voice prompt which is nice.

Here maps and I think the other one is Here Drive+. With Here Drive+ I think there's an option to change the voice too.

Last edited:

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
To each their own. I have no objection to any OS. I'm very agnostic. I've enjoyed my time with Android so far as I did with WP. I'll probably go back to WP in a year or two... maybe.

I use MS apps on my Android phone. I don't feel too different than what I had on WP. The apps are really nice on Android.

Ditto. Note 4 is working very good for me. No lags or whatsoever. I dunno what TS did to his Note Edge though. I have a far better experience with Facebook and Whatsapp on Android. But 1520 is doing fine with me too. At least, I don't have the app gap issues with my 1520. I believe both platforms are equally good, depending to individual needs and wants.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site

MarkusDindu

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Funny I never experience any lag and never reformat.

Any phone that is not Windows you will see many claim is laggy and must reset frequently. It is a thing they say here which is not in reality. When my windows device sees a resuming screen so often, I think lag would be better. Resuming...resuming... It is maddening. I think I need a factory reset.

RobertEsterley

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
I am just the opposite of the OP. I cant wait to go back to android. I used my note II for the last couple of years with no problem at all and about a month ago switched to an unlocked 1520.3/938. So far I have been a little disappointed with the phone, and very disappointed with the os and apps. I was really looking forward to switching to a windows phone but have come to the conclusion its just not for me and will switch back. This is just my personal experience and I'm very happy for everyone that has had a great experience with windows phones. So if anybody wants to buy a one month old unlocked 1520.3/938 for $350 let me know, I paid 529.00 from B&H Photo.

MarkusDindu

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I am just the opposite of the OP. I cant wait to go back to android. I used my note II for the last couple of years with no problem at all and about a month ago switched to an unlocked 1520.3/938. So far I have been a little disappointed with the phone, and very disappointed with the os and apps. I was really looking forward to switching to a windows phone but have come to the conclusion its just not for me and will switch back. This is just my personal experience and I'm very happy for everyone that has had a great experience with windows phones. So if anybody wants to buy a one month old unlocked 1520.3/938 for $350 let me know, I paid 529.00 from B&H Photo.

No need to sell the phone just keep it and have it for other uses. That is what I do. Unless money is needed then I understand.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 1520 beats any Android phone in battery life that I know off.
Nokia Lumia 1520 battery life test - GSMArena Blog

This is Z3
Sony Xperia Z3 battery life test - GSMArena Blog

I was referring to my L920, which dies rather quickly. The 1520 is not a phone I want or wanted which is why I had to switch because there was nothing on WP that was interesting to me. I would be very surprised if the 6" 1520 with huge battery couldn't last long. I couldn't even get the M8 as it never got released in the EU. The L930 was not that attractive either.

I use STAMINA mode on my phone that's why the phone lasts that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb