02-24-2015 03:23 AM
93 1234
tools
    I traded in my AT&T 1520 for the Note 4. After a few months I missed the WP operating system that I way-prefer over Android. I bought an unlocked 32gb 1520.3 from B&H and love it. However, a few things made me switch back to my Note4. First, I travel a lot, and almost exclusively on United. The new configuration on United is that the entertainment system is accessed through the United App on your phone or tablet. Works flawlessly in Android, but the WP United app is missing that functionality. Then, I use navigation a lot. I have Here and Co-Pilot on my 1520. Google Maps and Nav on Android has evolved to a way-better experience than the two apps on my WP, specially in terms of alternate routes.

And, finally, I really miss the digitizer on the Note4. I use it a lot in my work, taking notes in meetings, either on One-Note or S-Note. The MS Office app on Android has evolved to be equal to that on WP.

I'm clear that I'll probably be switching back and forth, as I really like the WP operating system and the settings and favorites integration with my W8.1 laptops. I would love to see a new WP phablet with an active digitizer.

Ron
    Michael Dontigney likes this.
    02-17-2015 10:57 AM
    I am still on the Nexus 4 and can't wait to move to Windows phone. However, I can't really justify getting a new phone yet because the phone still works fine. Add that to the fact that Microsoft hasn't put out any new flagships for a while means I think I'm stuck until the fall when MS will release the new flagships.
    02-17-2015 11:02 AM
    Not only is it a resource hog, but it's well worth getting rid of. Why do you think the Galaxy 6S is not going to have it anymore? :D
    But you can't just blame lousy performance on a phones UI. The OEM should have configured the hardware to work with that phone. Or the other way around. I understand that people don't like TouchWiz, for whatever reason, but it shouldn't have an adverse affect on performance.

Its like people's complaints about Windows 8. It wasn't about speed, it was about the learning curve and Microsoft's audacity at changing the UI. How dare they change their own UI in their own product. That sort of thing. Now Vista, there were some legitimate speed issues there. Ironically, outside of UAC people could live with the interface.
    02-17-2015 11:05 AM
    For a while, until the 635, I wasn't interested in any Windows phones. So does that mean I have no right to be here either? I've got a Note 3, iPhone 6, and BlackBerry Z10, does that mean I shouldn't be allowed to post? How do you know if a person is simply not just waiting for a device they like?

After all I did end up getting the 635, right?
    Don't listen to the haters. Everyone is welcome to the forums.
    tooly26 likes this.
    02-17-2015 01:21 PM
    For a while, until the 635, I wasn't interested in any Windows phones. So does that mean I have no right to be here either? I've got a Note 3, iPhone 6, and BlackBerry Z10, does that mean I shouldn't be allowed to post? How do you know if a person is simply not just waiting for a device they like?

Its because all of their posts read like they're an apologist for Android.
    02-17-2015 01:22 PM
    I was referring to my L920, which dies rather quickly. The 1520 is not a phone I want or wanted which is why I had to switch because there was nothing on WP that was interesting to me. I would be very surprised if the 6" 1520 with huge battery couldn't last long. I couldn't even get the M8 as it never got released in the EU. The L930 was not that attractive either.

I use STAMINA mode on my phone that's why the phone lasts that long.
    I posted that because you said in your previous post.

I got a battery life that I could only dream of on WP.
    02-17-2015 01:51 PM
    Note 3 here, no lag. However, I have come to the conclusion that when it comes to Battery Efficiency, WP is in Beast Mode in that category. My next phone will be a WP depending on the app situation. When they updated to WP8, my bank deleted its app, but returned it after like a 6 month hiatus.. Hopefully on the W10, this won't happen.
    02-17-2015 02:12 PM
    Note 3 here, no lag. However, I have come to the conclusion that when it comes to Battery Efficiency, WP is in Beast Mode in that category. My next phone will be a WP depending on the app situation. When they updated to WP8, my bank deleted its app, but returned it after like a 6 month hiatus.. Hopefully on the W10, this won't happen.
    Is that the stock ROM with TouchWiz or a custom ROM with a different launcher?
    02-17-2015 02:19 PM
    Factory reset does not always help either. Using an Android Tab and old Nexus - laggy even after a reset.

How is iOS in comparison?

WP - so far so good. Yes, app gap but what bothers more is the less developed apps (yammer, onenote, lync) that exist without more functionality on the native platform.

Still love the build (Nokia) and super stellar camera. I love my WP - sometime I just like to hold it.

Does that make me a pervert?

Mr. V
    02-17-2015 02:19 PM
    I posted that because you said in your previous post.
    Yes, in a size I want....
    02-17-2015 02:20 PM
    Not only is it a resource hog, but it's well worth getting rid of. Why do you think the Galaxy 6S is not going to have it anymore? :D
    AFAIK the GS6 will have a version of TouchWiz but it will be much lighter on resources than previous versions.
    02-17-2015 02:20 PM
    Is that the stock ROM with TouchWiz or a custom ROM with a different launcher?
    Stock. Haven't messed with any Launchers. Was thinking 'bout trying a WP 8.1 one, but there's no point if Tiles aren't alive. I have Picturesque as my Lockscreen and only one "Home" screen with 1Weather widget. I close all my apps and clear my RAM at least once a day.

What Launcher would you recommend? Would any make my phone more efficient?
    02-17-2015 02:40 PM
    I think it's just that right now their favorite device is an android. I am pretty sure some of my posts make me sound like a fangirl. We're all unique in the way we express ourselves. 😊
    Point well taken
    02-17-2015 05:18 PM
    I only used the lumia 925 and lumia 521 and I find windows phone to be considerably slower than when I am using Android. The apps seem to resume a lot but on the Android it is near instant. The lumia 925 has good specs.
    02-17-2015 07:02 PM

@Septembersrain, i think you had interest in WP even though you didn't own one (initial stages) and was interested in knowing whats happening the WP World.... Am i right? Lauren statement was "there was nothing on WP that was interesting to me" so i was curious to know if nothing is interesting then what is he doing in WP Forum, was that wrong if i want to understand his intentions?
    02-18-2015 07:07 AM
    Not entirely sure why you're taking my text out of context. I was referring to handsets. I did not say in any way that the OS was not interesting and I still own my L920. Not that I need that as a prerequisite to post on this forum or have friends here.

I was not prepared to just get a phone for the heck of it. I didn't want a low or mid range phone and I'm not one to switch every other month or 6 months or even every year as I buy unlocked flagships. The only reason I went to Android is due to my L920 not being able to keep up with me and what I wanted out of it. I also believe it's good to know what is on other platforms and since I didn't have much experience with Android I thought the experience would be interesting and it is.

Hope that clarifies things for you.
    @N_LaRUE.... if it was L920 you are accusing then i would have left you alone but your comment was that WP has nothing and nothing to do with L920
    02-18-2015 07:09 AM
    @N_LaRUE.... if it was L920 you are accusing then i would have left you alone but your comment was that WP has nothing and nothing to do with L920
    My original post -

I was referring to my L920, which dies rather quickly. The 1520 is not a phone I want or wanted which is why I had to switch because there was nothing on WP that was interesting to me. I would be very surprised if the 6" 1520 with huge battery couldn't last long. I couldn't even get the M8 as it never got released in the EU. The L930 was not that attractive either.
    I can see how it might be misunderstood but there is nothing in there that indicates I was referring to the OS. I was talking about handsets the whole time. Which is why I switched.

You'll note that the sentence started with my L920....
    02-18-2015 07:27 AM
    It would appear to me you were going out your way to find something wrong and you found it.

Also, my other statement for sticking around this forum still stands. Regardless which handset or OS I use.
    02-18-2015 07:36 AM
    It would appear to me you were going out your way to find something wrong and you found it.

Also, my other statement for sticking around this forum still stands. Regardless which handset or OS I use.
    @N_LaRUE, my intention was not to find fault in your statement but was just curious to know on why, that' s all.
    02-18-2015 08:01 AM
    @N_LaRUE, my intention was not to find fault in your statement but was just curious to know on why, that' s all.
    Your post - Which has garnered likes and thanks I might add.

if there is nothing on WP interesting you, why are you still in WP forums?
    In no way does that imply that you were asking me anything other than why I was sticking around on the forum.

You have not indicated yet that you were at fault in your understanding either. As I indicated, there was nothing about OS but about handsets in my post.

For your information and for anyone else that may be wondering. My two years with WP was just fine for the most part, a couple of hiccups here and there. It was the handsets that have failed for me. I have also spent much of my own time helping others with WP, even through PM and I continue to do so to this day.

Just because I am not using WP as my daily driver does not mean I am not interested in the platform. I have been using MS products for a very long time now, MS DOS.... I have never used anything other than MS OS.

I think what MS is trying to do is very interesting and I think anyone who is at all interested in computing would be interested as well. As stated earlier in the thread, I am OS and platform agnostic. I think that it's a good idea to be in this day and age.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 02-18-2015 at 08:25 AM.
    02-18-2015 08:15 AM

You're fine by me. I've had them all as well. Each has pro's and con's and everyone is entitled to post their thoughts. I have a Note Edge at the moment but really like the WP OS a LOT. It's just that right now, there are certain apps I really like and can't get and because they are proprietary, I'm stuck unless I just choose to use the browser for those things. I do hold out hope though because certainly Microsoft has the ability to get things going. Just wish they weren't taking so darn long. Love the Lumia 1520 and Windows Phone! P.S. Heard they were doing away with the "Family Room" Ahhhhhhhh I loved that feature! WHY can't they leave well enough alone?

Former owner of L920 and 1020
    02-18-2015 09:34 AM
    In no way does that imply that you were asking me anything other than why I was sticking around on the forum.
    @N_LaRUE, yes you are right, again, i simply wanted to know why you are sticking around and lets not skip to different topic, your statement was on L920 and also on WP, check the start of second line. am i wrong in my understanding that you were saying that there is nothing in WP which was interesting to you, and i shouldn't feel curious as to why you are still active in the forums?

"I was referring to my L920, which dies rather quickly. The 1520 is not a phone I want or wanted which is why I had to switch because there was nothing on WP that was interesting to me. I would be very surprised if the 6" 1520 with huge battery couldn't last long. I couldn't even get the M8 as it never got released in the EU. The L930 was not that attractive either. "
    02-19-2015 06:16 AM
    Your post - Which has garnered likes and thanks I might add.
    i'm not here for likes and thanks, im a regular follower and don't comment on each and every thing. i wanted to get your perspective so i quoted you.
    02-19-2015 06:18 AM
    @N_LaRUE, yes you are right, again, i simply wanted to know why you are sticking around and lets not skip to different topic, your statement was on L920 and also on WP, check the start of second line. am i wrong in my understanding that you were saying that there is nothing in WP which was interesting to you, and i shouldn't feel curious as to why you are still active in the forums?

"I was referring to my L920, which dies rather quickly. The 1520 is not a phone I want or wanted which is why I had to switch because there was nothing on WP that was interesting to me. I would be very surprised if the 6" 1520 with huge battery couldn't last long. I couldn't even get the M8 as it never got released in the EU. The L930 was not that attractive either. "
    I stick around on the forum because I know a lot of people on the forum. That's why. I am also entitled to an opinion and I like to help people. I also find WP interesting. Surprise!

Again, for the third time now. I was referring to WP handsets. Did you see me mention WP OS anywhere? The upgrade options were unattractive to me. Maybe I could have written the post better, as I have indicated, but that was my meaning from the outset.

How about this, hopefully this clarifies things?

I don't and still do not find any of the WP handsets available, currently, that compelling for me to buy. I felt the L930 was too much like the L920 with the battery and the L1520 was too big for me. I had no option to get the HTC even if I wanted it. I am not the only person to feel this way. I buy flagship phones. Why? Because I can.

Maybe had I wrote it like that you might have understood better? That's what I meant. Nothing, absolutely nothing about the OS.

That's not to say I don't feel the OS can be better in some regards but that is another discussion entirely. Which is why I said in my other post that W10 is interesting.
    02-19-2015 06:32 AM
    i'm not here for likes and thanks, im a regular follower and don't comment on each and every thing. i wanted to get your perspective so i quoted you.
    I'm not here for that either. I just pointing out your misunderstanding had attracted people. Giving an incorrect impression of me.
    raycpl likes this.
    02-19-2015 06:33 AM
93 1234