Back from Android!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmoon

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
I bought the "Note Edge" and gave my 1520 to my son back in December, because I missed some apps not available on Windows phone. Well after some time with a high end Android phone (not my first), I had to trade my son back.. Though the edge has 3 gig of ram, there's no comparison to the 1520! Though we don't have access to some apps, it just isn't worth putting up with the lag of running Android. Also, I have the Samsung Gear S watch (gift from kids) & still decided to switch back, knowing I'll have to use the watch as a standalone, being it isn't compatible. So, for anyone thinking of switching to Android, if your looking performance, my experience is, windows flagship is the hands down winner over the Android flagship.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You bought a Samsung. No wonder it was a horrible experience. :p

I would have stuck to WP had they brought out a decent 5" (or around there) flagship. Unfortunately they didn't and I couldn't wait any longer. I have no complaints with Android. I don't suffer any lag at all and I got a battery life that I could only dream of on WP.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Welcome back! I myself have been tempted to jump over to an iPhone lately. However, now that the Windows 10 tech preview is out I'm staying put. Deep down I know I'll miss WP and its features if I switch platforms anyways.

harihar akhil

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Why did you even get a galaxy ,every one using android knows its laggy and buggy ui?If you would have bought a android device fully based on aosp sure you would be continuing to use it than half baked wp 8.1 . Not a fan of android but with experience as my galaxy y(daily driver)with ginger bread has more features than my Lumia 520.why you say? laggy music app,loading and resuming screen ,splash screen ,podcasts(was awesome during wp 8 days) would care less about apps and games only if it serves my purpose.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I used to have an android phone. Today I work with Microsoft products so its easier for me to use Windows Phone. I think Android is a very good OS but not for me.

To each their own. I have no objection to any OS. I'm very agnostic. I've enjoyed my time with Android so far as I did with WP. I'll probably go back to WP in a year or two... maybe.

I use MS apps on my Android phone. I don't feel too different than what I had on WP. The apps are really nice on Android.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
To each their own. I have no objection to any OS. I'm very agnostic. I've enjoyed my time with Android so far as I did with WP. I'll probably go back to WP in a year or two... maybe.

I use MS apps on my Android phone. I don't feel too different than what I had on WP. The apps are really nice on Android.
I'm the same way. Besides my WP and Windows tablet & PC, I have an iPad, a Nexus 7 (Finally running Lollipop) too. It's interesting to see how every OS has its advantages, flaws and shortcomings.

Miguel Correia

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I don't know, i'm talking according to my user experience. For me there are no phones with such optimization for android as moto x and nexus. Also don't get anything bellow lollipop it just doesn't worths.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
You bought a Samsung. No wonder it was a horrible experience. :p

I used a couple different Samsungs recently after having been on Nexus devices for a couple years. I was expecting the worst after hearing all the reports. It turns out I was pleasantly surprised.

A few months ago I switched carriers, from AT&T (prepaid MVNOs) to Verizon postpaid because I have the opportunity to take over an unlimited data plan via AoL. I was using a Nexus 5 at the time, so I obviously needed to get a different phone. The Nexus 6 was already on the way but not out yet. I bought a Verizon Galaxy S4 to use in the interim. I actually ended up liking it a lot. I immediately replaced the Touchwiz launcher with the Google launcher, and it turned out to be a fast, smooth device. After a month or so I had opportunity to buy an S5 at the price I couldn't refuse, so I did. I liked that even better! It was a bit faster than the S4, and the battery life was much improved. I did get a Nexus 6 when it was available, but I would have had no problem sticking with the S5 (or even the S4) if necessary.

My point is that I wouldn't automatically say that the OP's issue was that he bought a Samsung. Some people just don't get along with Android.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I used a couple different Samsungs recently after having been on Nexus devices for a couple years. I was expecting the worst after hearing all the reports. It turns out I was pleasantly surprised.

A few months ago I switched carriers, from AT&T (prepaid MVNOs) to Verizon postpaid because I have the opportunity to take over an unlimited data plan via AoL. I was using a Nexus 5 at the time, so I obviously needed to get a different phone. The Nexus 6 was already on the way but not out yet. I bought a Verizon Galaxy S4 to use in the interim. I actually ended up liking it a lot. I immediately replaced the Touchwiz launcher with the Google launcher, and it turned out to be a fast, smooth device. After a month or so I had opportunity to buy an S5 at the price I couldn't refuse, so I did. I liked that even better! It was a bit faster than the S4, and the battery life was much improved. I did get a Nexus 6 when it was available, but I would have had no problem sticking with the S5 (or even the S4) if necessary.

My point is that I wouldn't automatically say that the OP's issue was that he bought a Samsung. Some people just don't get along with Android.

True. I have nothing against Samsung. I own a Samsung tablet as well. It's 'old' to some people but does the job just fine.

I know there's a perception about Android in general. I'm just tired hearing about lag when I don't get any. I know TouchWiz has some lag but my Sony is perfectly capable. I had lag on my L920 and many other things but I'm no going to beat it up and say all WPs are crap.

ElronTheElder

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Great, I'm not the only one on the fence with WP/Android.
First smartphone was a Droid X. My first love [of sorts].
My son left the shattered hulk somewhere in Brazil.
Without listing ALL my phones.
Got the HTC 8X, still works but not in use.
Have a L1520 refurb. out for repair, using a Sony Z3 Compact now.
I find Moto/Sony have a light touch on a base Android OS.
Still love WP. It's strength is simplicity, common features with MS desktop.
Much like iPhone except better. [Not as proprietary].
Apps....well, all the phones have what I need so that isn't a glaring concern.
Moto X antenna, signal strength is unrivaled from my experience.
Wish they made phones running WP...
Who knows, Could happen. :cool:

Michael Dontigney

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
My Verizon 2 year contract is up on the 22nd this month.. I'm a big Windows user at home and work (Work from home using Windows 8.1 for video /photo editing.. yep.. video editing not on a MAC...LOL)> When I signed my contract I get the Galaxy Note 2 and over the past two years this has bee the best phone I've had... that said, my daughter got the cheapo Nokia 822 windows phone and honestly, I've been jealous every time I use it... the OS is just so much more polished and fast even on that low end hardware! So now that my contract is up, I'm switching to a WP.. I want a big screen mostly because I watch movies on my device, and show videos to potential clients on the device, so... 1520 looks like the winner for me. I was waiting for a new model, but looks like I'll be going with AT&T because VZW apparently hates WP's! Right now there is a Next/AT&T deal for $100 credit for each new line with a new phone, we have three so I'd get $300 credit towards my bill. Hard to beat.

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
I bought the "Note Edge" and gave my 1520 to my son back in December, because I missed some apps not available on Windows phone. Well after some time with a high end Android phone (not my first), I had to trade my son back.. Though the edge has 3 gig of ram, there's no comparison to the 1520! Though we don't have access to some apps, it just isn't worth putting up with the lag of running Android. Also, I have the Samsung Gear S watch (gift from kids) & still decided to switch back, knowing I'll have to use the watch as a standalone, being it isn't compatible. So, for anyone thinking of switching to Android, if your looking performance, my experience is, windows flagship is the hands down winner over the Android flagship.

Lag on a 3GB device with a newer version of Android? Doesn't say much about the OS, which version of Android was it?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't get any lag from my Note 3 at all. Though I do not have a stock ROM on there. Honestly I see more lag with my iPad than I do with my Note. The 635 has some lag but I definitely expected that for what I paid for it. I'd say if you have expectations that are higher than what the device can offer, it'll turn out bad.

I don't expect perfection from any mobile OS personally. To me they're all in a constant state of change. So you can expect things to break occasionally.

My L920 was most likely a lemon so that's the reasoning there.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

I'm surprised that you still got lag on Android. I recently my wife's S3 to play with after she upgraded to iPhone 6. I flashed it with cynagenmod and it has been extremely smooth for me. I'm still using my Lumia 1020 as my daily driver because the S3 has broken screen but I will seriously consider switching to Android if MS does not step up their game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers