Back from Android!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
if there is nothing on WP interesting you, why are you still in WP forums?

Not entirely sure why you're taking my text out of context. I was referring to handsets. I did not say in any way that the OS was not interesting and I still own my L920. Not that I need that as a prerequisite to post on this forum or have friends here.

I was not prepared to just get a phone for the heck of it. I didn't want a low or mid range phone and I'm not one to switch every other month or 6 months or even every year as I buy unlocked flagships. The only reason I went to Android is due to my L920 not being able to keep up with me and what I wanted out of it. I also believe it's good to know what is on other platforms and since I didn't have much experience with Android I thought the experience would be interesting and it is.

Hope that clarifies things for you.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
It's not the OS fault it's TouchWiz.

Except it IS the fault of the OS when a Nexus device suffers from lag as well!!!

That being said, having flashed the FML Android 5.0 ROM onto my Galaxy Nexus it now lags about as much as my WP i.e. not very much.

clitrenta

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I bought the "Note Edge" and gave my 1520 to my son back in December, because I missed some apps not available on Windows phone. Well after some time with a high end Android phone (not my first), I had to trade my son back.. Though the edge has 3 gig of ram, there's no comparison to the 1520! Though we don't have access to some apps, it just isn't worth putting up with the lag of running Android. Also, I have the Samsung Gear S watch (gift from kids) & still decided to switch back, knowing I'll have to use the watch as a standalone, being it isn't compatible. So, for anyone thinking of switching to Android, if your looking performance, my experience is, windows flagship is the hands down winner over the Android flagship.

This actually could have been me writing this post as I also have an Edge. Love the phone but as you said, pretty laggy at times. I want it noted that I never said that with previous Android phones but I sometimes think this Edge has to much going on. It's a very nice phone but the fact is, WP runs way smoother. The only thing I didn't like was unavailability of some apps. I'm not into all those apps everyone else complained about but the ones I never could get were ones that you could not work around (banks, medical facilities and the like) but if your phone is big enough, it would probably work ok using the browser. I just really miss WP and live tiles. The integration with your computer is great and now that I have Windows 10, maybe even better. Anyway, as much as I love the Note series, I think I'm heading back to Windows Phone with my next phone (sooner rather than later). Oh and the icing on the cake is that now there is MS watch (Band) although I haven't had a chance to really check it out. Still, WP is definitely getting there. Need more developers to get on board. Come on Microsoft, kick this into high gear already!

ElronTheElder

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Motorola cameras are terrible. The Android experience may be good, but if you want decent pictures, then don't touch anything from Motorola.
Quite true, however; people say the Nexus 6 is a LARGE step in the right direction. Some say it rivals iPhone 6+ picture quality.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
it just isn't worth putting up with the lag of running Android.

Next time, instead of buying a Samsung, buy a good Android device like a Sony, a Motorola or an LG. None of those have any lag as those aren't filled with bloatware.

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
There are still some unaccounted for issues with stock IMHO because what I'm understanding is that the only people who do not have lag on Android are running AOSP or something similar without Google Play Services. It's been how many years with Google Play Services now and phones still have lag, even on KitKat?

I understand the whole resuming thing on Windows Phone, but that is not what happens on Android when one experiences lag. I would think that by Lollipop they would have figured that out.

If Windows is only accessing apps intermittently and that provides a smoother experience on WP what is Android doing that users are still stuck with slow phones? I shouldn't need more than 1 GB on a phone. Unless I'm running 30 apps in the background. Something just isn't adding up.

ronr9286t

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I traded in my AT&T 1520 for the Note 4. After a few months I missed the WP operating system that I way-prefer over Android. I bought an unlocked 32gb 1520.3 from B&H and love it. However, a few things made me switch back to my Note4. First, I travel a lot, and almost exclusively on United. The new configuration on United is that the entertainment system is accessed through the United App on your phone or tablet. Works flawlessly in Android, but the WP United app is missing that functionality. Then, I use navigation a lot. I have Here and Co-Pilot on my 1520. Google Maps and Nav on Android has evolved to a way-better experience than the two apps on my WP, specially in terms of alternate routes.

And, finally, I really miss the digitizer on the Note4. I use it a lot in my work, taking notes in meetings, either on One-Note or S-Note. The MS Office app on Android has evolved to be equal to that on WP.

I'm clear that I'll probably be switching back and forth, as I really like the WP operating system and the settings and favorites integration with my W8.1 laptops. I would love to see a new WP phablet with an active digitizer.

Ron

lkbig

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I am still on the Nexus 4 and can't wait to move to Windows phone. However, I can't really justify getting a new phone yet because the phone still works fine. Add that to the fact that Microsoft hasn't put out any new flagships for a while means I think I'm stuck until the fall when MS will release the new flagships.

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Not only is it a resource hog, but it's well worth getting rid of. Why do you think the Galaxy 6S is not going to have it anymore? :D

But you can't just blame lousy performance on a phones UI. The OEM should have configured the hardware to work with that phone. Or the other way around. I understand that people don't like TouchWiz, for whatever reason, but it shouldn't have an adverse affect on performance.

Its like people's complaints about Windows 8. It wasn't about speed, it was about the learning curve and Microsoft's audacity at changing the UI. How dare they change their own UI in their own product. That sort of thing. Now Vista, there were some legitimate speed issues there. Ironically, outside of UAC people could live with the interface.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
For a while, until the 635, I wasn't interested in any Windows phones. So does that mean I have no right to be here either? I've got a Note 3, iPhone 6, and BlackBerry Z10, does that mean I shouldn't be allowed to post? How do you know if a person is simply not just waiting for a device they like?

After all I did end up getting the 635, right?

Don't listen to the haters. Everyone is welcome to the forums.

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
For a while, until the 635, I wasn't interested in any Windows phones. So does that mean I have no right to be here either? I've got a Note 3, iPhone 6, and BlackBerry Z10, does that mean I shouldn't be allowed to post? How do you know if a person is simply not just waiting for a device they like?

After all I did end up getting the 635, right?
Its because all of their posts read like they're an apologist for Android.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I was referring to my L920, which dies rather quickly. The 1520 is not a phone I want or wanted which is why I had to switch because there was nothing on WP that was interesting to me. I would be very surprised if the 6" 1520 with huge battery couldn't last long. I couldn't even get the M8 as it never got released in the EU. The L930 was not that attractive either.

I use STAMINA mode on my phone that's why the phone lasts that long.

I posted that because you said in your previous post.

I got a battery life that I could only dream of on WP.

Jose_Rey

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Note 3 here, no lag. However, I have come to the conclusion that when it comes to Battery Efficiency, WP is in Beast Mode in that category. My next phone will be a WP depending on the app situation. When they updated to WP8, my bank deleted its app, but returned it after like a 6 month hiatus.. Hopefully on the W10, this won't happen.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Note 3 here, no lag. However, I have come to the conclusion that when it comes to Battery Efficiency, WP is in Beast Mode in that category. My next phone will be a WP depending on the app situation. When they updated to WP8, my bank deleted its app, but returned it after like a 6 month hiatus.. Hopefully on the W10, this won't happen.

Is that the stock ROM with TouchWiz or a custom ROM with a different launcher?

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Factory reset does not always help either. Using an Android Tab and old Nexus - laggy even after a reset.

How is iOS in comparison?

WP - so far so good. Yes, app gap but what bothers more is the less developed apps (yammer, onenote, lync) that exist without more functionality on the native platform.

Still love the build (Nokia) and super stellar camera. I love my WP - sometime I just like to hold it.

Does that make me a pervert?

Mr. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99