The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
03-02-2016 06:19 PM
58 123
tools
    I too am facing this issue.
    Too bad I think I missed this forum link before going to a Nokia care, here in Bangalore. ( IND )
    I was on windows 10 insider preview and I was told that it *could* be a software problem. I did tell them that I saw this even with 8.1 GDR2.
    So, the care folk reset the phone back to windows 8.1.

After I took the phone back home and installed apps that I need, the phone shutdown once.
    Then, some videos + twitter browsing caused another shutdown.

Reading through the comments here, it really seems like ive hit a battery problem only.
    09-14-2015 08:58 AM
    Reading through the comments here, it really seems like ive hit a battery problem only.
    I'm certain of it. Yes, if newly installed software causes a higher battery drain then it will highlight a marginal battery sooner. Indeed, in due course the software might be optimised to use less power, making the problem appear to go away. But the hard reality is this: if ANY piece of software can cause the phone to shut down just by running, then the battery is failing and you will experience more and more problems.
    09-15-2015 04:35 AM
    Thanks Guys,
    I am also experiencing the "Critical Battery" Shut down issue. I love the 1520 and didn't expect to have it for this long when I purchased the A T &T Early Upgrade Plan.. I use it as my Main Phone.

I refuse to spend any more money on a 3 year old device( In trade in years ) Normally I trade in my phone every 18 Months. Microsoft had us wait sooooo long for a device that was on the same level as the 1520 . I never would have purchased the early Upgrade Plan.

Ok, So the Shut Down only occurs due to a high power feature : Playing Videos , Music Etc?
    Other than that I just have to limit my activity Right ???

I will try to hold out until the new WM 10 Phones drop next month and go for the 950 XL

I am open to any advice or comments that are more feasible....

Thanks in Advance !!
    09-16-2015 03:48 PM
    Thank you Steve for the information. This just confirms what I suspected. I'll have to see how much a battery replacement will cost.
    09-18-2015 10:37 PM
    How hard it is to change the battery on the Lumia 1520?
    09-22-2015 02:09 PM
    mine started doing this a couple weeks ago. I just hope I can wait it out for the new 950XL
    09-22-2015 04:23 PM
    Does anybody have a link on instructions in replacing the battery for this device? Thanks!
    09-30-2015 03:51 PM
    follow this teardown video its not hard just take your time, and use a hair dryer on the old battery to heat the glue. Its REALLY stuck in there. I recommend ordering a kit with the battery with all the tools you need in it. Also if you are opening up the unit and your usb port is loose like mine was you may want to replace it at the same time I got a replacement for 9$ on ebay.

Good luck

*edit*
    apparently I cannot post links
    youtube search

disassembly full Nokia Lumia 1520 by Mr. Disassembler
    Last edited by L1520; 10-01-2015 at 01:26 PM. Reason: cannot post links
    Rhoyz likes this.
    10-01-2015 01:23 PM
    follow this teardown video its not hard just take your time, and use a hair dryer on the old battery to heat the glue. Its REALLY stuck in there. I recommend ordering a kit with the battery with all the tools you need in it. Also if you are opening up the unit and your usb port is loose like mine was you may want to replace it at the same time I got a replacement for 9$ on ebay.

Good luck

*edit*
    apparently I cannot post links
    youtube search

disassembly full Nokia Lumia 1520 by Mr. Disassembler
    Thanks for your reply!
    10-01-2015 03:44 PM
    mine starting doing this a few weeks ago. If I stream music over bluetooth or use GPS it will restart. Then it will boot up with 75% power showing. I start it back up and it dies again then says the battery is dead. The phone is worthless. I am going to have to use the iphone 5s I got for my Mother that she refuses to use and I ******* hate iphones.

I was looking forward to the 950XL but my 900 and 1520 both started ****ting the bed after a year and a half. Is the hardware any better? Will the damned thing last 2 years.

Also dont think I'd like Android ;(
    10-07-2015 09:30 AM
    mine starting doing this a few weeks ago. If I stream music over bluetooth or use GPS it will restart. Then it will boot up with 75% power showing. I start it back up and it dies again then says the battery is dead. The phone is worthless. I am going to have to use the iphone 5s I got for my Mother that she refuses to use and I ******* hate iphones.

I was looking forward to the 950XL but my 900 and 1520 both started ****ting the bed after a year and a half. Is the hardware any better? Will the damned thing last 2 years.

Also dont think I'd like Android ;(
    Mine did this too. Replacing the battery fixed the problem. Other than that, my 1520 has been rock solid. I see no reason why the 950/950XL would be any different. As a bonus, those devices have user replaceable batteries. So if this ever happens again, it is only a matter of buying a new battery and putting it in.
    tropolite likes this.
    10-07-2015 03:14 PM
    yeah I know I am just going to do the AT&T plan where I can get a new phone every 12 months. Work pays for it so if the new hardware is flaky I can get a new one
    10-07-2015 05:14 PM
    yeah I know I am just going to do the AT&T plan where I can get a new phone every 12 months. Work pays for it so if the new hardware is flaky I can get a new one
    If you hate that badly, I'll buy it from you. :)
    10-07-2015 06:13 PM
    Folks - scrubby, and Steve told you what this is - a bad battery.

These "send it to Nokia Care it is a defect", or "this phone is a POS" replies amuse me. Did you think the battery would last for all eternity? You do know that, after 1.5-2 years, you have to replace the battery in an iPhone as well?

There's another thread here from a new member who replaced their battery just a few days ago for a similar issue.

Don't make a mountain out of a molehill - just replace the battery and live happily ever after.
    10-07-2015 06:15 PM
    are u using win mobile 10? Mine is 10. After that the problem started.When reflashed to 8.1, battery backup is much better
    10-30-2015 12:31 PM
    Now I fall in this issue. Can't wait for 950XL

good marketing MS
    11-03-2015 10:31 AM
    Hi... I'm having this problem for 3 weeks now. It started right after I installed a USB charger on my bike (dimotiv brand on er6n) and tried charging my 1520 with it several times. At first (with stock 1520 cable + bike charger) it gives "Slow charging" error message.

From what I read on a forum in Windows central somewhere about car charger, all I need is a Fast Charger cable (a cable that has been tweaked in some ways,-something about the power and data pin or somwthing like that).

After several try with different cables on the Store, I found one that shows no "Slow Charging" message and it charged like normally (1% for few minutes..). Then I fully charged my 1520 with bike charger and that cable.

The next day I noticed the problem! >.< Somewhere at 20-30% my phone dies when normally use. plug stock wall charger, reboot, unplug, reboot... the percentage shows lower than 20%. Every another reboot shows 2% less. I turn off the battery saver. charge it with stock wallcharger. It performed normally for about 2 days. And I never plug it again to bike charger.

But... somehow the problem appears again until now.. and it's getting worse! Now at 70% my 1520 shutdown by itself after showing battery is critically low-goodbye :( When I press power button it can start and shows 70% ..but another minute it suddenly dies again. plug the wallcharger, reboot, unplug, reboot, shows 69%, and let it standby for about 30 mins now... it still on.. meaning no drop on capacity.

I cant see the pattern now for it's inconsistency >.< Just caused by a bike charger (eventho it's a good quality/brand charger )

Help?
    11-06-2015 01:43 AM
    where is the best site to buy authentic lumia 1520 battery?
    11-06-2015 06:24 AM
    Not necessarily the best site, but I bought one on e-Bay from some guy in New York, College Station I think, something like that. It said Nokia on it anyway, and it looked new, not like a refurb. It was packaged like it came from the factory and the manufacture date was relatively recent. I've had no problems with it.
    11-06-2015 05:58 PM
    Actually no, this is in fact absolutely typical of a failing battery, and is not caused by a software bug. (I was an electronics bench technician for years, and had this a lot.)

A common failure mode for batteries of this type is that the internal resistance of the battery rises. Under a light load the voltage dropped across the internal resistance is small, so the voltage from the battery reads as healthy. So long as you don't draw too much current it may continue to work fine for many hours, indeed it may appear completely normal.

However, as soon as you place a high load on the system the voltage collapses dramatically, enough to trigger the "critical" alert. If the battery is bad enough it will cause the phone to shut down immediately.

The battery charge indication ONLY works reliably when the battery is in good order. When it is failing you cannot rely on the charge indication. It is not an indication of the overall health of the battery.

Just replace the battery: it will cure it.

(Edit): I should add that if Denim causes the phone to draw more power it may well exacerbate the symptoms. However, the battery is definitely faulty, and it isn't an actual "bug" in Denim.
    Steve, let me ask you this.
    Does keeping a phone connected to a charger with a full battery damage it?
    When I went to a local battery shop to replace the battery on my Lumia 1520, she told me that keeping the phone on the charger "dries the battery" and I should have not kept my phone on the charger for no more than an hour. I had hard time believing her since my Lumia 1520 before the battery failure would take more than an hour to charge.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android
    12-04-2015 12:31 AM
    Same problem here too. I ordred a new battery and I'm waiting to replace it
    12-15-2015 02:41 AM
    Is there an app to tell you how many charge cycles your battery has on it? I bought a 1520 off Ebay, not sure if its a refurb or overstock, but it looks brand new. The only thing I'm concerned about is if it is a refurb, how old the battery is/how much life left on it. 1520 batteries on Amazon are only about $15 a pop I think.
    12-15-2015 11:29 AM
    Just turn off all.. All background apps..even system apps.. Like phone update ..weather ..etc etc......... M sure it will 100% boost ur battery ... It worked for me.. Getting 2 days backup and night stand time is 2-3%
    12-15-2015 11:41 AM
    Guys,

Post me some source where i can buy batteries online.
    12-15-2015 12:50 PM
    12-15-2015 12:53 PM
58 123