Battery critically low and shutdown

myoujin

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello.

Anybody here have same problem when use phone streaming youtube or use camera several shots sometimes cause my phone suddenly shutdown. Before shutdown battery critically low popup appear.
When I boot back the phone battery still have 30~50%.

Info : Lumia denim, cv Malaysia, 13months.

arjan wolthuis

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello.

Anybody here have same problem when use phone streaming youtube or use camera several shots sometimes cause my phone suddenly shutdown. Before shutdown battery critically low popup appear.
When I boot back the phone battery still have 30~50%.

Info : Lumia denim, cv Malaysia, 13months.
Yes sometines when I watch YouTube my phone doesn't respond at all after that

albertico

May 15, 2012
Visit site
My AT&T Lumia 1520 just started doing this about two weeks ago. I can't tell if it's a memory-related issue or the battery itself. Sometimes at restart it does claim that the battery is fully drained (though right before the "battery critically low" message, battery reports to be well over 50%, and even happens when battery is fully charged). I thought it was memory-related because it usually happens when I'm doing something "media intensive" like browsing Instagram or taking photos. It's getting quite annoying, I can't even take more than 5 photos before the "battery draining." My warranty should be expired too since I purchased the phone December 2013, so I'm checking in here if anybody has had any luck with battery replacements or with a solution to this issue?

wandraaa

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm also experiencing similar issue. I tried to repair it at Nokia Care and they said I must replace the processor which cost almost the same as the brand new phone 😩. Is there any other way? I love windows phone but this issue is too much for me as I can't use my phone properly. Nokia 1520 Lumia denim cv malaysia.

myoujin

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm also experiencing similar issue. I tried to repair it at Nokia Care and they said I must replace the processor which cost almost the same as the brand new phone 😩. Is there any other way? I love windows phone but this issue is too much for me as I can't use my phone properly. Nokia 1520 Lumia denim cv malaysia.
Don't do that. Just buy battery from ebay and replace it. Now my phone like new phone after replace battery. Bought it from China and it took 30days :(. But cost me USD30 only. Include tools.

dandrayan

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
I started getting that same problem about a month ago. I ordered a new battery from eBay and haven't gotten the error since replacing it. (Warning: the double-sided tape on the underside of the battery puts up quite a fight and required a lot of patience and a hair dryer to loosen. And now my phone doesn't vibrate anymore either.)

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I started getting that same problem about a month ago. I ordered a new battery from eBay and haven't gotten the error since replacing it. (Warning: the double-sided tape on the underside of the battery puts up quite a fight and required a lot of patience and a hair dryer to loosen. And now my phone doesn't vibrate anymore either.)

Was it hard to do? I don't know how you open this thing.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I think this might be a software problem more so than a battery problem. The other day I got the "battery critical" message and it shut down, and the battery was at around 70-80%. I turned the phone back on and it worked ok for another hour without getting the message again. My guess is that it is something to do with Denim.

Some people say they have resolved the issue by replacing the battery, so I'm wondering if there is something about disconnecting the battery that somehow fixes it. I'd be curious to know if just disconnecting and reconnecting the same battery would resolve the problem, but I don't know how to get it out. Is there a document somewhere that explains how?

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I think this might be a software problem more so than a battery problem. The other day I got the "battery critical" message and it shut down, and the battery was at around 70-80%. I turned the phone back on and it worked ok for another hour without getting the message again. My guess is that it is something to do with Denim.

Some people say they have resolved the issue by replacing the battery, so I'm wondering if there is something about disconnecting the battery that somehow fixes it. I'd be curious to know if just disconnecting and reconnecting the same battery would resolve the problem, but I don't know how to get it out. Is there a document somewhere that explains how?

I have a stack of failed 1520 batteries waiting to be properly disposed of that say it's a battery issue. Every one tested in another phone and verified bad. Li-Ploymer batteries do not like change. Denim changed the draw profile. I'm sure a battery expert could explain it.

vsmh96

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
All of you need to contact Microsoft and state your case. Since it seems to be a common issue amongst you guys. For Malaysians though, while you might get FOC repairs, I've personally had a not so good experience with the Nokia Care center here.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I have a stack of failed 1520 batteries waiting to be properly disposed of that say it's a battery issue. Every one tested in another phone and verified bad. Li-Ploymer batteries do not like change. Denim changed the draw profile. I'm sure a battery expert could explain it.

So if I understand you correctly, Denim was a factor in the battery performance going south. Still, the phone saying the battery is critical when it's not seems like a bug to me, as does the immediate shutdown.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Disassembly wasn't difficult thanks to videos on YouTube (https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lumia+1520+disassembly). I also had screwdrivers and plastic pry tools left over from repairing my daughter's cracked 920 screen. Getting the battery out without cracking the screen was difficult though because of the strong adhesive tape.

Ok, thanks. I tend to be pretty oafish with that kind of thing so I'd probably destroy the phone.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Still, the phone saying the battery is critical when it's not seems like a bug to me, as does the immediate shutdown.

Nope, the OS determines the battery's state based mainly on voltage output of the battery. Immediate shutdown happens when voltage has:
A) dropped too low for the device to continue to function.
B) Reached the drop off voltage (batteries only slowly loose voltage to a point then voltages drop rapidly, which could damage things)

Batteries which exhibit these problems are not able to maintain a steady voltage at all anymore and fluctuate up and down. Eventually, they will die at best. Explode destroying your phone at worst.

Felix Loo

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
same as me, this battery critically low issue make me feel sad.

each time this message pop out, it will shutdown within 3 seconds.

If i play some games, or open GPS navigator it only can use few minutes, then it will appear "critically low battery" .(Even there's a 100 % Full charged Battery Level)

Too bad too see this message appear, not for gaming. not for photo capturing. (sometimes when i try to capture some image with Enrich mode, my phone will going to shutdown by this "battery critically low" error message. :unhappysweat:

I have done for some research, some said it's because the "battery firmware" problem. Means battery cannot update it's real percentage??

Any ways can fix this? :crying::cry:

Felix Loo

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Same as mine, Cannot play games & Image Capture for sometimes.

Because when i try to take more pictures from camera, or play games more than 5 minutes. It will automatically shown "Battery Critically Low" force my lumia 1520 to shutdown. :crying:

Samgh

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
I finally after finding no other option had the battery replaced at a Nokia Care Centre. This was done a month ago and have been using the phone quite heavily. I must say am very happy with the performance of the battery and its back to how it was when i had bought the phone. Ofcourse it has set back my pocket but then if I had to make good use of the phone I had to shell out the money.
One full charge now lasts me for 1.5 days with good amout of surfing, watching youtube, playing games and most important for me taking multiple snaps. Lets see for how long the good times last.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos