Battery critically low and shutdown

Felix Loo

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
It's sound great, if replacement battery will make the Lumia 1520 alive. But can I know how much it cost you to replace the lumia 1520 battery pack? I am living in Malaysia, wondering how much should I pay for it. 😞

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
And now my phone doesn't vibrate anymore either.)

Join the club! It appears that lots of people who dismantle their 1520 lose the vibrate function. It definitely isn't the vibrator itself: I've tested mine with a battery and it runs fine. I've tweaked the connectors for it on the motherboard, and messed about for ages. I measured the voltage on the terminals and there is no voltage fed to the vibrator contacts. This is a great mystery, because it's the motherboard itself that isn't sending anything to the vibrator.

It's almost as if some tiny component drops out of position when the back (or maybe the motherboard?) is removed - and this strongly suggests it's deliberate on Nokia's part. Perhaps they use it as a tamper detector (and to motivate you to take it to an official Nokia service centre).

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
So if I understand you correctly, Denim was a factor in the battery performance going south. Still, the phone saying the battery is critical when it's not seems like a bug to me, as does the immediate shutdown.

Actually no, this is in fact absolutely typical of a failing battery, and is not caused by a software bug. (I was an electronics bench technician for years, and had this a lot.)

A common failure mode for batteries of this type is that the internal resistance of the battery rises. Under a light load the voltage dropped across the internal resistance is small, so the voltage from the battery reads as healthy. So long as you don't draw too much current it may continue to work fine for many hours, indeed it may appear completely normal.

However, as soon as you place a high load on the system the voltage collapses dramatically, enough to trigger the "critical" alert. If the battery is bad enough it will cause the phone to shut down immediately.

The battery charge indication ONLY works reliably when the battery is in good order. When it is failing you cannot rely on the charge indication. It is not an indication of the overall health of the battery.

Just replace the battery: it will cure it.

(Edit): I should add that if Denim causes the phone to draw more power it may well exacerbate the symptoms. However, the battery is definitely faulty, and it isn't an actual "bug" in Denim.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm not so sure. My battery was just fine before installing Denim, then it went to hell in a handbasket immediately after installing Denim. Seems to be a bit of a coincidence.

Some other poster said Denim changed the "battery draw profile", whatever that means. He said some battery types don't like that and tend to fail when that happens. I got the impression he was a techie like yourself, but I have no idea if he knew what he was talking about.

Sadananda Aithal

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I too am facing this issue.
Too bad I think I missed this forum link before going to a Nokia care, here in Bangalore. ( IND )
I was on windows 10 insider preview and I was told that it *could* be a software problem. I did tell them that I saw this even with 8.1 GDR2.
So, the care folk reset the phone back to windows 8.1.

After I took the phone back home and installed apps that I need, the phone shutdown once.
Then, some videos + twitter browsing caused another shutdown.

Reading through the comments here, it really seems like ive hit a battery problem only.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Reading through the comments here, it really seems like ive hit a battery problem only.

I'm certain of it. Yes, if newly installed software causes a higher battery drain then it will highlight a marginal battery sooner. Indeed, in due course the software might be optimised to use less power, making the problem appear to go away. But the hard reality is this: if ANY piece of software can cause the phone to shut down just by running, then the battery is failing and you will experience more and more problems.

Bjfcm

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Guys,
I am also experiencing the "Critical Battery" Shut down issue. I love the 1520 and didn't expect to have it for this long when I purchased the A T &T Early Upgrade Plan.. I use it as my Main Phone.

I refuse to spend any more money on a 3 year old device( In trade in years :amaze: ) Normally I trade in my phone every 18 Months. Microsoft had us wait sooooo long for a device that was on the same level as the 1520 . I never would have purchased the early Upgrade Plan.

Ok, So the Shut Down only occurs due to a high power feature : Playing Videos , Music Etc?
Other than that I just have to limit my activity Right ???

I will try to hold out until the new WM 10 Phones drop next month and go for the 950 XL

I am open to any advice or comments that are more feasible....

Thanks in Advance !!

L1520

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
follow this teardown video its not hard just take your time, and use a hair dryer on the old battery to heat the glue. Its REALLY stuck in there. I recommend ordering a kit with the battery with all the tools you need in it. Also if you are opening up the unit and your usb port is loose like mine was you may want to replace it at the same time I got a replacement for 9$ on ebay.

Good luck

*edit*
apparently I cannot post links
youtube search

disassembly full Nokia Lumia 1520 by Mr. Disassembler

Last edited:

Rhoyz

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
follow this teardown video its not hard just take your time, and use a hair dryer on the old battery to heat the glue. Its REALLY stuck in there. I recommend ordering a kit with the battery with all the tools you need in it. Also if you are opening up the unit and your usb port is loose like mine was you may want to replace it at the same time I got a replacement for 9$ on ebay.

Good luck

*edit*
apparently I cannot post links
youtube search

disassembly full Nokia Lumia 1520 by Mr. Disassembler

Thanks for your reply!

RedDawn

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
mine starting doing this a few weeks ago. If I stream music over bluetooth or use GPS it will restart. Then it will boot up with 75% power showing. I start it back up and it dies again then says the battery is dead. The phone is worthless. I am going to have to use the iphone 5s I got for my Mother that she refuses to use and I ******* hate iphones.

I was looking forward to the 950XL but my 900 and 1520 both started ****ting the bed after a year and a half. Is the hardware any better? Will the damned thing last 2 years.

Also dont think I'd like Android ;(

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
mine starting doing this a few weeks ago. If I stream music over bluetooth or use GPS it will restart. Then it will boot up with 75% power showing. I start it back up and it dies again then says the battery is dead. The phone is worthless. I am going to have to use the iphone 5s I got for my Mother that she refuses to use and I ******* hate iphones.

I was looking forward to the 950XL but my 900 and 1520 both started ****ting the bed after a year and a half. Is the hardware any better? Will the damned thing last 2 years.

Also dont think I'd like Android ;(

Mine did this too. Replacing the battery fixed the problem. Other than that, my 1520 has been rock solid. I see no reason why the 950/950XL would be any different. As a bonus, those devices have user replaceable batteries. So if this ever happens again, it is only a matter of buying a new battery and putting it in.

RedDawn

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
yeah I know I am just going to do the AT&T plan where I can get a new phone every 12 months. Work pays for it so if the new hardware is flaky I can get a new one

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Folks - scrubby, and Steve told you what this is - a bad battery.

These "send it to Nokia Care it is a defect", or "this phone is a POS" replies amuse me. Did you think the battery would last for all eternity? You do know that, after 1.5-2 years, you have to replace the battery in an iPhone as well?

There's another thread here from a new member who replaced their battery just a few days ago for a similar issue.

Don't make a mountain out of a molehill - just replace the battery and live happily ever after.

SBL

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
are u using win mobile 10? Mine is 10. After that the problem started.When reflashed to 8.1, battery backup is much better

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss