Bricked 1520?

Bryon Burns

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
So I bought a $200 mint cond 1520 off Craigslist and found that when I brought it home that it took hours to charge. Not like a few hours, more like 16 hours for 10% from 100%. I hard reset the device, as there was stuff on it from the last owner. That didn't fix the problem. So I went and used Lumia software recovery tool and flashed it to current. However the battery died mid flash. That is the USB port apparently wasn't juicing the phone enough to charge during the flash.

Now, it doesn't power up, and doesn't charge at all. When I plug in a USB charger the phone does the startup vibration but the screen or buttons don't light up. I popped open the phone thinking the battery could just be shot. I disconnected the battery from the phone and inserted the USB charger and the Windows logo key blinks off and on, but still doesn't power up.

My question is, is this phone bricked? Could it just need a new battery? I don't want to buy a new battery just to find out the phone is toast. Our could it possibly be I just need to replace the main board? Any ideas anyone? If I need to jtag or do any technical stuff, I'm more than technically inclined to do so.

Also, plugging it into a computer gets it to be briefly be detected on the USB bus before then giving the disconnect sound. Nokia care suite doesn't detect a phone connected.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Sounds that "mind condition" was not really mind.
Can you get a refund or file a complaint against the seller?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Might be a bad USB port... Bad cable.

Try a different cable and a different port on your computer. Inspect the port on the phone for obvious pin damage or anything stuck in there.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
So I went and used Lumia software recovery tool and flashed it to current. However the battery died mid flash. That is the USB port apparently wasn't juicing the phone enough to charge during the flash.

The battery was close to dying and you flashed the phone like that? Why?

Bryon Burns

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, not so mint. No refund is possible. When I began the flash, it was at 95% charge, so no, I didn't attempt it on an empty battery. It drained during the flash, since the display was on the whole time, as well as it took what I felt was an inordinate amount of time to flash. New cables, also tried different USB ports. Looking at the pins in the jack, there doesn't appear to be any damage. I'll give the Windows phone support tool a try.

Bryon Burns

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE: Installed new battery and the phone charged perfectly. However, when it boots, it goes to the Nokia logo on black screen for about 4 seconds, then transitions to a Nokia logo on red screen for about a minute before rebooting. It repeats this over and over. Plugging it into the computer yields it being detected as "NOKIA BOOTMGR2". However, neither Nokia Care Suite, or Lumia Software Recovery detect the phone, using the dead phone option or otherwise.

Any suggestions, recommendations? Phone is obviously out of warranty, so sending it in is not an option.

Bryon Burns

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE: Uninstalled all Nokia apps and drivers. Reinstalled only Nokia care suite. Connected phone after going into offline mode with firmware downloaded previously with Lumia recovery tools. It detected the phone as in flash mode after a few minutes. I then initiated a recovery flash. The phone then showed a progress bar. Recovery software stated it was fixing partitions. After that finished the phone then rebooted. To my surprise, it booted straight into the live tile screen. It had been fully recovered!! Alas, this story doesn't end well. Now that the screen was lit up, I noticed the lower left of the screen had a 2 inch hairline crack through the digitizer glass screen running diagonally towards the opposite to corner. Removing the old battery which was glued to the back of the LCD, made the screen flex a little too much, causing the glass to crack. It doesn't respond to touch anywhere below the bottom third of the screen. And attempting to touch in that area causes rapid phantom touches all over the screen. <sigh> So now it's either try and replace the glass and digitizer for $12, or buy an unbranded Chinese version of the full LCD assembly, that may or may not be of quality for $130. Making this entire purchase almost as much as the going rate for a new one. My luck, hahaha.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs