Just a word of warning to those who haven't updated yet. I'm sure this won't happen to everyone, but after the update, I lost all of my apps/data because I basically had everything on my SD card and it corrupted. The phone tried to repair, but failed and I ended up having to format it before I could even use the phone.

The card was a brand new Sandisk class 10 64gb card and all was fine before the update. If you haven't updated yet and your apps are important (especially those that aren't on the store anymore), you might want to move them to your internal storage first, then update.
    02-27-2015 07:08 AM
    I went through three Sandisk cards with my 1520 and they all failed well before Denim. I now have a Samsung and not a single issue. My phone used to lag heavily with the SanDisk. I think those cards and our phones don't get along.
    02-27-2015 07:16 AM
    All my apps and games are still installed in the Internal Storage. I believe 32gb is sufficient for that need.

For me, only pictures, music, videos and other files are in the SD Card.
    02-27-2015 08:26 AM
    All my apps and games are still installed in the Internal Storage. I believe 32gb is sufficient for that need.

For me, only pictures, music, videos and other files are in the SD Card.
    I only have the 16GB model but I also keep my apps on the internal storage, music/vids on the SD card. I only have a 64GB card so it helps save a few GBs by tossing apps on the internal. Plus I'm gonna need those extra gigs for 4k recording.
    02-27-2015 09:11 AM
    Like HeyCori... I only keep disposable media and new photo/video on my card... I want my Apps and Maps in the device.

Plus it is a known issue you should never update/upgrade/flash your WP device with a card in the slot.
    HeyCori and anon8959613 like this.
    02-27-2015 09:51 AM
    I only have the 16GB model but I also keep my apps on the internal storage, music/vids on the SD card. I only have a 64GB card so it helps save a few GBs by tossing apps on the internal. Plus I'm gonna need those extra gigs for 4k recording.
    After years with Android devices that won't let you install/move most apps to the SD card, I happily jumped at the chance to do so when Cyan enabled it. 16 GB doesn't give a lot of wiggle room for me. Still, most of the time it's fine.
    02-27-2015 04:25 PM
    Like HeyCori... I only keep disposable media and new photo/video on my card... I want my Apps and Maps in the device.

Plus it is a known issue you should never update/upgrade/flash your WP device with a card in the slot.
    where have you heard this "known" issue? I've never heard of it and I updated my phone with my memory card in it and all is well...
    02-27-2015 08:56 PM
    Hmmm, been using 128GB Sandisk since the released. I have not once encounter this issue. But certainly will keep this in mind.

Thanks
    02-27-2015 09:55 PM
    where have you heard this "known" issue? I've never heard of it and I updated my phone with my memory card in it and all is well...
    Lots of places on the forum... I've read of several models failing to install updates and the advice that gets often quoted is remove the SD card and try again.
    02-27-2015 11:17 PM
    I updated to Denim and all of my Music, Photos and Apps on my SD Card are working as expected....64GB SanDisk....
    02-27-2015 11:36 PM
    Lumia 530 has suffered with this issue. I have killed 2 64gb sd cards. a sandisk and a samsung. The problem seems to happen on shutdown I think. I have managed to repair the cards by installing them, letting the phone format them, then pulling the battery out without shutting the phone down, then remove the card! They are then usable again on a pc.

The problem appears to be software, not hardware. I was hoping/waiting for denim to come along and fix this. Apparently I was waiting in vain.

The download size for denim is larger than the free internal storage on the lumia 530! Anyone know how much space Denim takes up when it is installed?
    02-28-2015 06:54 PM
    I just had this 32GB card over a week. My phone corrupted it in that period of time. I can still use it but even my PC can't repair it
    02-28-2015 07:56 PM
    I updated to Denim (and Cyan before that too) without any SD-card issues on my Samsung Pro 90/80MB/s 64G.

I copied all my music, video, photos and documents from SD card to my computers hard drive first, but everything worked fine and I didn't need to use the backup.

A good advise from good old days of computers: always make a backup of your personal data/content before upgrading the Operative System.

But after that, when the file for flashing to denim was available, I started from scratch. I flashed to Denim, re-formatted the SD-card and installed my Apps from store. The phone feels smoother and faster after that.
    RumoredNow and arjan wolthuis like this.
    03-01-2015 06:15 AM
    Apps in phone memory. Photos, videos and music on the SD card. Upgraded to Denim without any problems. The new IE on the other hand...
    03-01-2015 11:18 AM
    I am also having this issue. My SD card is not properly reading on the phone. It's slowing down the phone and causing freezing. It's very frustrating does the OP have at&t?
    03-10-2015 11:45 PM
    I updated my other L1520 HK variant with my SD card inside with no problems at all... maybe it's just an isolated incident?
    03-11-2015 10:38 PM
    Yeah, I think my ad card has something to do with my freezing of the OS since the denim update. Ive already tried relishing and another hard reset, but freezing is happening often with only a soft reboot curing it. The os did tell me there was a problem with the card and asked if I wanted to fix. Originally I said no, but them it popped up again so I said yes after getting all my data off of it. I about to reformat the card, flash again (without the SD card in) and then try to restore from backup. Hopefully I don't have to start without a back just to cure the problem.
    03-12-2015 11:19 AM
    Yeah, I think my ad card has something to do with my freezing of the OS since the denim update. Ive already tried relishing and another hard reset, but freezing is happening often with only a soft reboot curing it. The os did tell me there was a problem with the card and asked if I wanted to fix. Originally I said no, but them it popped up again so I said yes after getting all my data off of it. I about to reformat the card, flash again (without the SD card in) and then try to restore from backup. Hopefully I don't have to start without a back just to cure the problem.
    Now that i do not have the SD card in my phone, it is working wonderfully. Next step is to figure out how to get the card in working condition again
    03-13-2015 01:09 PM
    I began having issues with my card and OS before giving this iPhone a shot. Sometimes apps would stay in endless resume and wouldn't launch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    03-21-2015 03:47 PM
    Hey am having a peculiar issue after denim update my phone does not recognise any SD card I tried full formatting SD card with fat 32 full format. No use.please advice whether I have to go for hard reset.My phone is lumia 820.Thanks in advance
    03-21-2015 04:10 PM
    Hey am having a peculiar issue after denim update my phone does not recognise any SD card I tried full formatting SD card with fat 32 full format. No use.please advice whether I have to go for hard reset.My phone is lumia 820.Thanks in advance
    I really think Denim, & Windows Phone as a whole, began having serious background issues with SD Cards. I'm also noticing that after a soft reset that none of my SD Card apps will have pull notifications until I open them, a hassle with so many apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    03-22-2015 10:57 AM
    Denim is devil for my lumia 820.I think I have to do hard reset and see whether my phone recognises empty card.I had no issues with any updates
    03-22-2015 10:59 AM
    I'll bet dollars to donuts you all have knock-off SD cards that are not truly made by SanDisk. Beware of Chinese fakes. I wouldn't by these from amazon if I were you guys. SanDisk has a lifetime warranty on all their products, send it back if it's truly corrupt.
    06-04-2015 12:03 AM
    Have had a few issues with the 64Gb Sandisk Extreme Micro SD cards failing prematurely or being slow not just on 1520 but other Micro SD devices like GoPro's all bought from authorised distributor. Common thing is it seems to fail when it gets above 80% Capacity or if I use the cards in a particular type of commercial media player constantly playing small files either way stop using this card due to failures. Only got one card replaced under lifetime warranty.
    06-06-2015 02:01 AM
    I can add a +1 to this thread. I have a lumia 1520 and between denim/overheating issues(drain issues now currently). My 64gb sandisk card went up in a poof of smoke. It was not a chinese knockoff either. They card had a really weird bug. It was basically acting like it was write locked but there is no such thing on microsd cards.

Then it was stuck in time. Used the phone to reformat the card, nothing happened all files remained. Ok deleted files and apps while on the phone. If card was reinsterted or phone rebooted went back to original state with all files still there(even deleted ones. Put the card in pc using couple different readers. Couldnt add anything to the card, couldnt format, could delete but that did nothing. could copy from the card also and nothing was corupt.
    The card essentially was stuck in time. I eventually sent it back to sandisk and they replaced my card but seems im having a similar issue now.

I think 64gb sandisk cards just do not like wp8.1
    06-07-2015 07:06 AM