03-07-2015 04:06 PM
29 12
tools
    I was just curious as to what your favorite features of the 1520 are after the Denim Update? How do they correspond to your everyday life? Do you like your 1520 better now since the update than before? What still needs some work?

I'm still playing with the new features and also taken in some overall features seeing that I just got back to WP a month ago. I have to say right off the bat I like the camera and the video functionality they may be my second favorite option or feature on my 1520. I like my Flageship more after the Denim Update than before as it feels more personal and allows me a little more customization to fit me. The Start Screen is still my fave about this phone. Being able to see the customization of information that is important to me at a glance is pretty awesome.

Some of the features that were put in really gives me a great feeling about what will be coming with the Win 10. I'm excited that MS is working overtime on app development as well as drawing in new developers. I feel the WP, PC, & Xbox will begin to take some customers away from the other 2.
    Last edited by Aaron_Jones; 03-01-2015 at 05:29 PM.
    anon8959613 likes this.
    02-28-2015 02:15 AM
    The improved speed of the camera is the game changer for me. I wish the update had been available a couple of weeks ago when my niece and nephews were in town. Trying to get decent pictures of those three was very frustrating with the slower lenses speed. I haven't had a chance to play with rich capture yet, but this looks like it could be a very fun tool.
    Aaron_Jones likes this.
    02-28-2015 10:16 AM
    4k recording
    sarim_xyz and Aaron_Jones like this.
    02-28-2015 10:32 AM
    By far, folders on the home screen. The way MS implemented that is genius. Could care less about the "Hey Cortana" garbage because I don't use it and can care less about the camera because to me, the camera was fine as it was.
    Aaron_Jones likes this.
    02-28-2015 12:19 PM
    Camera does open faster so I guess I'll take it.
    Aaron_Jones likes this.
    02-28-2015 12:25 PM
    I love the folders on my 1520. I went from the 830 to the 1520 and it just didn't feel the same. The new camera is awesome too! The only gripe I've come across is the screen orientation is very finicky. I'll have it portrait but the screen will stay in landscape and vice versa and takes about five seconds to correct.
    02-28-2015 12:33 PM
    I love the new nothing feature on my 820 :P
    Edit: I see there's a new option of static IP in Wi-Fi settings
    Last edited by Sagar Limaye; 02-28-2015 at 01:07 PM.
    02-28-2015 12:34 PM
    By far, folders on the home screen. The way MS implemented that is genius. Could care less about the "Hey Cortana" garbage because I don't use it and can care less about the camera because to me, the camera was fine as it was.
    I'm currently playing with that but kind finicky as to what I want in the same folder and how it looks on the start screen. I'm sure I will use it once I get things the way I want it. If you don't mind post a SS of your start Screen to show your folder orientation... I love the new 4K and the faster cam, it is pretty cool to have that at your beckon call in the spur of a moment.

I love the folders on my 1520. I went from the 830 to the 1520 and it just didn't feel the same. The new camera is awesome too! The only gripe I've come across is the screen orientation is very finicky. I'll have it portrait but the screen will stay in landscape and vice versa and takes about five seconds to correct.
    I have not noticed that as of yet, I do wish the start screen could show in landscape mode though. That would be awesome when I have it on my stand.

4k recording
    YES!!! I'm a videographer and that is premo for me...
    HeyCori likes this.
    02-28-2015 03:36 PM
    Post a SS of it if you don't mind. I would like to see the way you customized it and incorporated it into your start screen.
    Last edited by Aaron_Jones; 02-28-2015 at 04:50 PM.
    02-28-2015 04:24 PM
    Ok, after training "Hey Cortana" yesterday I decided to try it out today. I notice that it is a little hit and miss. The way I say it makes a difference as well. Today one of my guys here at work wanted to order pizza and I said, "Hey Cortana", she responded and then I said, "call Happy's Pizza". She called with no problem (of course the listing is in my contacts). Worked like a charm! I can see this being a great feature while multitasking. The Google voice command was like this at first then it improved the more people used it. I'm sure MS will improve this feature regularly as usage continues.
    02-28-2015 04:47 PM
    Here's a SS of mine currently. The bottom two folders named "gaming" and "reference" are cut off in the SS but follow the same pattern. Please disregard my calendar entries. I suck at paying bills but I did in fact pay the AT&T bill today.wp_ss_20150228_0001.jpg
    Post a SS of it if you don't mind. I would like to see the way you customized it.
    02-28-2015 04:48 PM
    I suck at paying bills but I did in fact pay the AT&T bill today.
    LOL!! No judgment over here bro!! That background image is awesome!! I like the way you group that Productivity folder together... That helps me. I appreciate it.
    02-28-2015 05:42 PM
    No problem
    02-28-2015 05:52 PM
    Post a SS of it if you don't mind. I would like to see the way you customized it and incorporated it into your start screen.
    This is my home screen. I have sports, finance, shopping, and messaging all sorted into folders. also that's the app store that was caught mid flip that looks weird.
    Attached Thumbnails wp_ss_20150228_0001.jpg  
    Jorge Holguin and Aaron_Jones like this.
    02-28-2015 07:40 PM
    For me I definitely love the Rich Capture feature, but have been using more Hey Cortana and just amaze how well it has worked for me. I've heard a lot of people having issues with it, but mine has been pretty stable so far.
    Al4video and Aaron_Jones like this.
    02-28-2015 07:56 PM
    This is my home screen. I have sports, finance, shopping, and messaging all sorted into folders. also that's the app store that was caught mid flip that looks weird.
    Very nice!
    Last edited by Aaron_Jones; 02-28-2015 at 08:31 PM.
    02-28-2015 08:16 PM
    For me I definitely love the Rich Capture feature, but have been using more Hey Cortana and just amaze how well it has worked for me. I've heard a lot of people having issues with it, but mine has been pretty stable so far.
    I have to agree with you. I notice that thee is a little bit of a skill for her to hear you correctly. I think those that are anxious, their voice sounds different than if they were relaxed. Not only that I found that talking louder is not going to help much. even in my factory here when I just talk relaxed I get a better result.
    02-28-2015 08:19 PM
    same thing is happening to me with the Accelerometer... def never had that trouble with cyan
    03-01-2015 12:41 AM
    same thing is happening to me with the Accelerometer... def never had that trouble with cyan
    Sadly, the only fix I've seen so far is a hard reset. Worked for me.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...-rotation.html
    Aaron_Jones likes this.
    03-01-2015 12:44 AM
    hard reset, does that erase everything? will I have to re-install all my stuff?
    03-01-2015 01:52 AM
    The improved camera and definitely Hey Cortana. Hey Cortana really comes in handy especially on the Lumia 1520 as handling it in difficult situations is a huge pain
    Aaron_Jones likes this.
    03-01-2015 01:57 AM
    My favorite is hands down the improved camera, speed and all. This made me sell my Lumia 1020 and use my 1520 for all my photo needs. I also noticed that the fluidity of the OS is better...may be a placebo effect though.

Sadly, the only fix I've seen so far is a hard reset. Worked for me.
    As for the slow rotation issue, I was somehow able to remedy it without having to do a hard reset. I wish I could remember the specific steps, but I uninstalled Lumia Camera, did a soft reset, re-downloaded Lumia Camera, did another soft reset, then used the camera. My rotation now stays as it should anytime I use Lumia Camera.
    03-01-2015 01:26 PM
    For me I love the faster camera and the home screen folders are awesome, makes things so much easier...

Whats still missing ..

A ringtone ON/Off/ Vibrate toggle as one of the Notification buttons.

Hopfully theyll fix that, but all in all very happy with update :)
    Aaron_Jones likes this.
    03-01-2015 02:35 PM
    As for the slow rotation issue, I was somehow able to remedy it without having to do a hard reset. I wish I could remember the specific steps, but I uninstalled Lumia Camera, did a soft reset, re-downloaded Lumia Camera, did another soft reset, then used the camera. My rotation now stays as it should anytime I use Lumia Camera.
    This worked for me!! I uninstalled all of the camera associated apps then soft reset. Once powered back up I installed the Lumia Camera again and all is well the slow rotation is gone. Thanks for the heads up!!

I have to say that being able to uninstall the apps provide a little more flexibility as oppose to being stock with the stock app embedded in the ROM or OS. I first looked at that as a inferior thing now I see it differently.
    Last edited by Aaron_Jones; 03-01-2015 at 06:04 PM.
    L Beezy likes this.
    03-01-2015 03:51 PM
    I love the new nothing feature on my 820 :P
    Edit: I see there's a new option of static IP in Wi-Fi settings
    I'm enjoying the lack of it on my 920 /Sarcasm .

Also with the latest update, they made Microsoft Camera as the default Camera app... the cheek...lol.

Never the less, my mate is loving his 1520 even more now (favourite features he said are the 4k recording, folders and Hey Cortana) and I just sent him the Windows Central article re: the 200gb microSd card. I think he probably fainted in excitement as I haven't heard a peep out of him lol.
    03-01-2015 04:19 PM
29 12